compasspnt

Diamond Forever

Lead

Jan 28 11 7:17 PM

Tags : :

I will soon be bringing back my interview with Tony Platt about the recording of Back In Black at our studio, so that will be something great to read again.

But for now, this week I was talking to Mutt about AC/DC in  general, as we are both huge fans of the band. I don't think he would mind me mentioning this...

He said that in his recollection, there was only ONE music overdub on the whole album, a guitar somewhere near the end of one song that was having tuning problems, and had to be replayed. Of course the vocals, BGVs, the bell fx, etc. were overdubbed, but I find this amazing.

What a great band!

Quote    Reply   

trock

Platinum Blonde

#1 [url]

Jan 28 11 7:36 PM

OH BOY!

thats really cool to know! fav band, fav album. had the most impact on me of ANY music ever. you can tell him i wore out albums, and cassettes of that album, then CD's over the years.

all 3 of his albums with them are stellar

Terry, have you ever asked mutt if he would like to work with them again? i read an interview with brian somewhere where they ran into each other recently?

has he softened his stance on the Q&A thing by any chance?

ah well, had to ask

thanks for all the info!

Quote    Reply   

LeforaGuest

New Forum Friend

#2 [url]

Jan 28 11 7:43 PM

Great record! Will always be a great record! Shoot to Thrill makes my car go way too fast!

If the recordings sound so simple, why can't I make that record!? ;)

Quote    Reply   

LeforaGuest

New Forum Friend

#3 [url]

Jan 28 11 7:50 PM

Great record! Will always be a great record! Shoot to Thrill makes my car go way too fast!
If the recordings sound so simple, why can't I make that record!? ;)

-tidewater

Funny how the right song can make your foot heavier.

Maybe you need the right shorts. ;-)

Quote    Reply   

bill mueller

Aqua Marine

#4 [url]

Jan 28 11 9:17 PM

I mixed a Bob Rivers Twisted Tunes sound alike parody of Back in Black once. I actually thought it would not be that hard matching the recording. I had done many, many Twisted Tunes before and had to decipher lots of mixes, but this one was almost impossible. Because every nuance of the band is so exposed and tight, getting just those tones took forever and I never really felt like I got close. It's almost like some kind of trick. It's also killer punchy.

Quote    Reply   

LeforaGuest

New Forum Friend

#5 [url]

Jan 28 11 10:17 PM

It's the impression that it leaves!

It's not exactly how great the record sounds, it's how you remember it sounding. I swear! It's about choices of material too. There isn't an out of place feeling track. All songs belong. Makes you wish for more.. which they never really hit like that again.

I can't record my impressions, but it's EXACTLY what I try to do. I call my aesthetic AM GOLD. I strive to attain a sound that never exists outside my memory.

Back in Black is fantastic. Shake a Leg is pounding my ears right now. Wooohoo! Thumpa chunka! Like a hammer. Damn it's exciting! Sorry! Maybe there is something about the shorts. I just soiled the one's I'm wearing. lmao... again, very sorry.

uhoh.. what do ya do for money.... I need diapers.

Quote    Reply   

LeforaGuest

New Forum Friend

#6 [url]

Jan 28 11 10:59 PM

It's the impression that it leaves!
It's not exactly how great the record sounds, it's how you remember it sounding. I swear! It's about choices of material too. There isn't an out of place feeling track. All songs belong. Makes you wish for more.. which they never really hit like that again.
I can't record my impressions, but it's EXACTLY what I try to do. I call my aesthetic AM GOLD. I strive to attain a sound that never exists outside my memory.
Back in Black is fantastic. Shake a Leg is pounding my ears right now. Wooohoo! Thumpa chunka! Like a hammer. Damn it's exciting! Sorry! Maybe there is something about the shorts. I just soiled the one's I'm wearing. lmao... again, very sorry.
uhoh.. what do ya do for money.... I need diapers.

-tidewater

I hear you. These records put a mark in your mental time line. It's as much about where you were when you were listening, as how they were done. There is a feeling though, that can still be stirred up. Just not exactly in that way. It is possible....

Quote    Reply   

trock

Platinum Blonde

#8 [url]

Jan 29 11 11:15 AM

They have made many many great albums, maybe not as popular as BIB but they do have other albums where every song is great. probably more than any other group, ever, this band mkaes great albums

here is my list where you have at least 7-10 great songs on the album

BIB
Highway to Hell
Powerage
For those about to rock
The Razors edge
Let there be rock

and the others come in with at least 3-5 great songs on them. not bad for a band to continously have that much to offer for you 10 bucks

i to have always wondered what the Mutt/AC/DC team would come up with one more time?

maybe they can do it for the fun of it again. One more time

ac/dc is still huge right now, maybe as much or more so than in 1980/81 and with Mutt i bet they could put out another monster

Quote    Reply   

owlander

Platinum Blonde

#9 [url]

Jan 29 11 7:54 PM

Yep, they are a great band, in the truest sense of the word. I think it's commendable that they've never compromised the way that they do things; i'm sure they could've chosen other paths. 

They seem like the kinda guys that know what they want and what it'll take to get there so it really doesn't surprise me that there's only one musical overdub. They don't want or need alot of fancy fills, tracks, etc...cluttering things up. (not that there's anything wrong with that!) :)

The sheer 'space and oomph' within the writing\recording makes up for it...

Quote    Reply   

morespaceecho

Platinum Blonde

#10 [url]

Jan 29 11 9:05 PM

He said that in his recollection, there was only ONE music overdub on the whole album, a guitar somewhere near the end of one song that was having tuning problems, and had to be replayed. Of course the vocals, BGVs, the bell fx, etc. were overdubbed, but I find this amazing.

-compasspnt

guitar solos were live too???

www.oldcolonymastering.com

morespaceecho.bandcamp.com

Quote    Reply   

compasspnt

Diamond Forever

#11 [url]

Jan 30 11 12:16 AM

So I was told, although I should ask again to be 100% on that.

And Jimmy Page told me there was only one overdub, including solos, on the first LZ album.

If ya got it, ya got it.

Quote    Reply   

robdarling

Tin Man

#12 [url]

Feb 7 11 4:42 PM

guitar solos were live too???

-morespaceecho

i thought i remembered from the platt interview that solos were played through a wireless setup in the cr to the rig out in the live room.  wonder if that was overdub or if it was all one take.  that's pretty crazy to imagine a band making a record that tight with that much separation of space and vibe.  talk about thinking as one brain...

rob darling rob@robdarling.net www.robdarling.net

Quote    Reply   

kassonica

Silverado

#13 [url]

Feb 7 11 6:00 PM

So I was told, although I should ask again to be 100% on that. And Jimmy Page told me there was only one overdub, including solos, on the first LZ album.If ya got it, ya got it.

-compasspnt

Sounds like it too, which is why still to this day it's my favourite zep record.

Recorded and mixed in 30 hours.... sigh..... the good ole days indeed.

Mark Ludwig Should of been a drummer

Quote    Reply   

peter wittmann

Platinum Blonde

#14 [url]

May 12 11 10:14 AM

AC/DC stand firm on digital download ban

THEY are the last major act to refuse to sell their music on the internet but AC/DC remained staunchly anti-digital today, confirming their songs would never be available to download. With even The Beatles now finally making their music available on Apple's iTunes, experts say the rockers, whose album Back In Black is the second highest selling in history, were missing out on millions in lost revenue by refusing to allow their work to be sold in the digital marketplace.

Speaking at the world premiere of their new concert film in London, the band's guitarist Angus Young said he refused to sanction downloads of individual tracks because their songs should be heard as part of a full album.

He said, "I know The Beatles have changed but we're going to carry on like that. For us it's the best way. We are a band who started off with albums and that's how we've always been. Usually the best tracks were on the albums."

The guitarist, known for his schoolboy outfit, also rubbished rumours the band, whose Black Ice tour was the second-highest grossing tour in history, were considering retiring.

Speculation surrounded the future of the veteran five-piece, whose ages range from 56 to 64, after singer Brian Johnson was quoted as saying he was considering quitting when they finished the 168-date run of concerts between 2008 and 2010.

Johnson denied he was thinking of hanging up his legendary flat cap. "No, never. Not as long as I can still walk and sing. I should think we'll be back."

Quote    Reply   

bh

Silverado

#16 [url]

May 12 11 10:33 AM

In all seriousness, I'm amazed at guys who can get that larynx-shredding sound night after night without destroying themselves.  I wonder if there are voice coaches specializing in 'safe' screaming.

Quote    Reply   

wireline

Aqua Marine

#17 [url]

May 12 11 10:35 AM

I don't particularly care for the band, but I do appreciate their position of not putting their music out there in mp3 format.  Its not like they need the money.  I would not mind seeing others standing with this mentality, and really had hoped the Beatles estate would have stuck by their guns. 

They didn't need the money either.  Naive, I know.

Ken Morgan

Please...Give It A Rest

Quote    Reply   

skullsessions

Silverado

#19 [url]

May 12 11 12:19 PM

In all seriousness, I'm amazed at guys who can get that larynx-shredding sound night after night without destroying themselves.  I wonder if there are voice coaches specializing in 'safe' screaming.

-bh

I believe there actually ARE vocal coaches out there who claim they can teach you to do it "safely".  It's always seemed to me that you either can, or you can't.  I get young guys in here all the time who try to do it, but can't do it regularly.  Then, there are those who just can....and for hours.

I remember when I first heard Razor's Edge.  I swore back then that I was hearing Brian Johnson's last album with the band.  His voice just seemed overly strained...like he had completely blown it.  I figured a tour behind the album would ruin him for good.

But he's still doin' it (what...20+ years later?)...and I think he sounds better now than ever doin' what he does.

Contrast that against these young guys who can't do it "today" because it's "Tuesday evening, and I worked all day..." or the old stand-by...."I blew my voice out at a gig last weekend".  A whole other thread, I suppose....guys who can't pull off ONE 45min show every couple of weeks without blowing up their vocal chords.

When they start pulling out the BS excuses, I always fire back at the..."How you gonna be a rock-star if you can't sing on Tuesdays?"

Quote    Reply   

strangeandbouncy

Platinum Blonde

#20 [url]

May 12 11 12:27 PM

HI,

25 years ago, I used to visit Hill Audio regularly. We used to assemble cabinets there when i was working for Roger Quested. ACDC in those days used Hill PA rigs, and one of the guys there told me that he actually sings(umm) very quietly, which may explain how he is still doing it so well.

I would thoroughly recommend any singer(umm) who adopts this style of delivery to seek professional help form a suitable singing coach. Otherwise, their career could be mighty short indeed . . . I have seen a great improvement in a teenager in a Gwah -type band, who couldnt do more than one take at a time, but after a very short time he could keep it up for hours. (unfortunately . . . )

Kindest regards,

ANdyP

Ruh Roh . . . . .

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help