peterpoyser

Platinum Blonde

#21 [url]

Feb 21 11 3:31 PM

Quote: "Which was?"

That Hydrogen power was the best possible option.

BMW had already determined that, and produced and refined 6 generations
of Hydrogen Powered Engines and Vehicles.

Unfortunately.

Politicians wanted to make it look as if they were doing something. And told all the Major Motor Manufacturers that within a year, they must have produced, X number of zero emission vehicles.

The easiest way for them to comply with this was by producing an Electric Car. And Electric Hybrids for extended range . But in the longer term, it's not the best solution, and as far as pure Electric Cars are concerned will require more Nuclear Power Stations to be built, to provide power.

At present, the available Power Stations, will not be able to keep up with predicted consumer demand for electricity, that is without any Electric Cars at all. So more will have to be built, but many more will, if everyone goes Electric.

The problem is Governments don't have the money necessary to invest in building new Power Stations, and thus will probably have to tax us more if we want them built to power our Cars.

When we have an Electric Car Power Station in our garage, you can be sure they will be introducing a specific tax for that privilege.  

They'll have to make up for the loss in revenue from Petrol somewhere, just to stay as we are.

Then there's the longer term problem of disposing of the highly toxic Batteries.

To say nothing of dealing with all the additional Nuclear Waste.

Hydrogen Power takes Sunlight for free, and turns it into Hydrogen which provides similar Power Dynamics and Performance as Petrol, with only a fine water (H2O) mist coming out of the Cars exhaust pipe.

But we have thrown all that away, so that a few politicians, can crack a whip and show the world that they have the finest Green Credentials possible.

Everything is done by politicians for the short term, so they gain the benefit whilst they are in power, with no longer term stratagem, in mind at all.

So now responding to this initiative the market is demanding Electric Cars, and the market is giving people with the good will to buy a "Green" Car, the Electric
Models they ask for.

But that is not the best solution, nor the long term answer, but a political fix that leaves Oil Companies alone, doing their thing, raking it in for many, many more years.

Whilst a few Consumers can feel good at how their choices are saving the environment, and politicians gain kudos for their action.

Motor Manufacturers will make money either way, Hydrogen or Electric, and the new Brand will have a number of power options.

There's a rumour, some people, are in favour of replacing politicians, with another, more self effacing Creature.

They are writing about it on another thread!

What about the wider good of The Planet, and what is best in the longer term, for our children, and our childrens, children?

P

Quote    Reply   

danko

Gold Finger

#22 [url]

Feb 21 11 3:57 PM

I, for one, welcome our new bovine overlords.

The new Brand(ed) car must obviously run on methane. Because there will be many of those Creatures.

Tomas Danko - www.danko.se

Quote    Reply   

yz

Aqua Marine

#24 [url]

Feb 21 11 5:19 PM

Great.

But...

1- currently Hydrogen is produced via steam reforming of oil and natural gas.

1a- Other methods of producing Hydrogen in an industrial scale depend on massive input of energy from external sources.

1b- Some of the above methods can be considered "green" if the external source of energy is wind or solar power but then again...  why generate electricity to generate hydrogen to burn in an internal combustion engine if one can use the electricity directly in an electric car?

2- The Otto and Diesel cycle internal combustion engines are old technologies and inefficient; much waste heat and acoustic output is generated along with the net usable power.

2a- Such engines are also resource and energy-intensive in their building.

3- No matter what source of energy is used to power an Escalade (or Cayenne for that matter) it is completely wasteful and 'ungreen' to have those being driven around as daily commuters with a single passenger. No one needs anything bigger than a Honda Fit (or Jazz) for their daily commute even if it includes picking up 3 kids.

4- No energy source will ever be enough if we don't moderate its consumption.

5- Being green is also about social conscience, a detail that is usually forgotten by many...  how about using the great extensions of once-fertile land in Africa for growing sugar cane and produce ethanol? And using parts of the Sahara for solar power, with power lines under the Mediterranean?
But that would mean creating jobs and bringing a little prosperity to some very poor regions... OMG that is verboten.

Quote    Reply   

peterpoyser

Platinum Blonde

#25 [url]

Feb 21 11 6:20 PM

Quote: "No matter what source of energy is used to power an Escalade (or Cayenne for that matter) it is completely wasteful and 'ungreen' to have those being driven around as daily commuters with a single passenger."

I have just the thing for you!

P

Quote    Reply   

LeforaGuest

New Forum Friend

#27 [url]

Feb 21 11 8:03 PM

Chevy went broke. They took a huge bailout. They promised an electric car. They delivered a Prius ripoff.

We didn't need the car they promised anyhow.

I can't be excited about an electric car. There isn't enough electricity. There are reasons to keep politicians from mandating these technological "advances".

Quote    Reply   

LeforaGuest

New Forum Friend

#28 [url]

Feb 21 11 8:27 PM

We didn't need the car they promised anyhow.
I can't be excited about an electric car.

-tidewater

Electric motors and combustion engines are sooooo last century. Where's the new stuff hiding? As a kid, I fully expected cars to be floating by now. And collapse into a briefcase when not in use.

Smell-a-vision was supposed to replace television too. I feel so cheated.....

Quote    Reply   

wireline

Aqua Marine

#29 [url]

Feb 21 11 8:52 PM

I'm happy with my truck...11 yrs old, needs a lot of work, but I've owned it outright for 5 years.

That, from another perspective, is the very best in technological advancement there is...if 'they' would just focus on the power plants more and the aesthetics less, maybe they would have it down by now?

I dunno - seems they got hybrid technology (the electro-diesel locomotive) down pretty quick, so what's the holdup?  

Ken Morgan

Please...Give It A Rest

Quote    Reply   

compasspnt

Diamond Forever

#31 [url]

Feb 22 11 12:22 AM

Wow, the compressed air car sounds too good to be true.

It might work here, we have a lot of air.

Any thoughts on viability from you motor experts?

Quote    Reply   

mikeconrad

Gold Finger

#32 [url]

Feb 22 11 12:43 AM

A generator that runs from itself, perpetual motion, I'm all for it but got a headache trying to understand. Good to see Jimmy Page at the beginning of the video commenting.

Quote    Reply   

jetbase

Gold Finger

#34 [url]

Feb 22 11 1:04 AM

I think they were just talking about future possibilites with regard to self generating the compressed air. I would assume it would make the car more efficient, but I can't see how it could run on itself entirely.

Glenn Santry HeartBeat Studio

Quote    Reply   

peterpoyser

Platinum Blonde

#37 [url]

Feb 22 11 2:14 AM

Quote: "what's the holdup?"

Politicians that are lobbied, bought and owned by others.

Countries that are effectively run by, and for, Oil Companies.   

The Bio Fuels that take land crops we need to eat to run our Cars.

And Electric and Hybrids that will require additional Power Stations.

All mean that for the foreseeable future, there will be no strategic rollout.

Of a well planned, carefully thought out policy, that is the best solution possible.

Which was already rationally determined, by the most competent, scientific, experts.

But it will keep us needing to buy Petrol and Oil, that they can keep raising the price of indefinitely.

After all, once we can effectively get Fuel from the Sun, it's difficult to keep on inflating prices upward.

Where's the growth in that? Is how the interested parties think. I'm afraid that democracy will need to be fixed.

Before we can really make any real progress in this world.

But when the world is ready and even if its not.

The solution to the problems of the future. 

Will be there, waiting for you.

P

Quote    Reply   

kb s1

Aqua Marine

#38 [url]

Feb 22 11 6:51 AM

Barry, a link to an article on the Imperia (very light on detail unfortunately) with some pictures.
LINK

Not sure on that mug at all.

Quote    Reply   

ssltech

Aqua Marine

#39 [url]

Feb 22 11 9:09 AM

Wow, the compressed air car sounds too good to be true.
It might work here, we have a lot of air.
Any thoughts on viability from you motor experts?

-compasspnt

Over on ProSoundWeb when this was posted (in 2008 or 2009, I think) I responded to the claims made by Guy Negron that he would have a car of this type on widespread sale within the US by 2010.

I offered ANYONE a $1,000 bet that it wouldn't happen.

Anyhow, -as I've said before- this car is NOT powered by air. It's powered by the energy which was used to SQUASH the air. -That energy isn't free, even if air is abundant. Nor is it an efficient, or compact, or low-mass way of storing energy.

It is awful.

It is my honest view that Guy Negron -along with his son Thierry, and anyone else guilty of propagating and perpetuating this nonsense- ought to be pilloried for their cynical deceit.

I'm sorry, but it seems to me that humans WANT so very desperately to believe that energy can be extracted without cost, difficulty, or pollution from inert, abundant resources such as air, water or ignorance. (Only sunshine comes close, and the yield is too low to be useful for this purpose) that the typical person is conditioned out of sheer HOPE to overlook that fundament of physics: Energy cannot be created or destroyed; It can merely be converted. (yes, I know that atomic energy is strictly an exception, but I'm staying within the bounds of reason here)

WATER is free. Electrolysing it into hydrogen and oxygen can never release any more energy than it takes in the first place.

AIR is free. Compressing it can never release any more energy than it takes to compress it. -It's no more magical than a spring.

ELECTRONS are free. Pushing them around a wire can never release any more energy than it takes to push them.

MOTION is free. But converting it into any other useful form of energy can never release any more energy than it takes to create the motion.

I'm an engineer (of sorts)... If there's a free T-shirt, you can usually count on an engineer to wear it. -If they're handing out free pens, an engineer will usually grab a few. -If there really was a free lunch, I think you can count on an engineer to have sniffed it out by now.

-Keith Andrews -If I can't fix it, I can fix it so [i]NOBODY[/i] can fix it!

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help