adam brown

Gold Finger

#781 [url]

Jan 16 17 3:27 PM

Kissimmee?

Anybody else but me watch that over the weekend?

A Ferrari 360 Modena they said was an investment buy. I forget what year model it was, but it sold for only $80k, or was it $60k (?). My memory is not so good. I guess I should try to get a loan for $80k that I cant afford to pay back and get one.

Those people are so out of touch.

I couldn't count the number of cars, from my memory, that sold for 2× to 20× the price of my house, and tens of them from the same guy. WTF?

These idiots should be buying and stocking warehouses with water, instead of cars, little do they know.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Money.
>
Sense.

Quote    Reply   

burp182

Gold Finger

#782 [url]

Jan 16 17 3:28 PM

The Mangusta was a typical coachbuilt DeTomaso product. Ford saw it and started the negotiations that led to the more mass-produced Pantera. The Mangusta used a Ford 302, if I recall correctly. Ford then offered the 351 Cleveland for the Pantera. Sold them thru Lincoln-Mercury dealers.
I drove a Mangusta once at a race weekend at the Mid-Ohio course. I'm 6'4" and it was one of the most excruciating drives of my life. Not sized for me! But Stunningly beautiful - better than the pictures.

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#783 [url]

Jan 16 17 3:39 PM

burp182 wrote:
I'm 6'4" and it was one of the most excruciating drives of my life. Not sized for me! But Stunningly beautiful - better than the pictures.

You are not helping. I'm 5'5" and don't usually like driving two door cars because I have to pull the seat all the way forward. Luckily I'll never be able to afford one.

The Pantera looks to me to be halway between a Ferrarri and a MOPAR styling wise.

Last Edited By: gold Jan 16 17 3:43 PM. Edited 3 times.

Quote    Reply   

compasspnt

Diamond Forever

#784 [url]

Jan 16 17 3:41 PM

It was like nothing I had been in before, and that included Ferraris, Porsches, Loti, Maseratis, etc.

You literally reclined to an almost "lying down" position to drive.

Agreed, it was not really comfortable.

The inside was a bit like a one-off NASA product.

Last Edited By: compasspnt Jan 16 17 3:43 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#785 [url]

Jan 16 17 6:26 PM

That era of car design was definitely my favorite, starting with the GT-40 - Ferrari 365 GTB-4, Miura, Ghibli, 911, Mangusta, Dino. Beautiful cars.

Quote    Reply   

burp182

Gold Finger

#787 [url]

Jan 17 17 2:04 PM

The odd thing about the Mangusta driving position was how extreme the classic Italian driving position - long reach to the wheel but short throw to the pedals, requiring your legs to be splayed widely - was. I've driven old Ferraris and Maseratis that were tough but nothing like the Mangusta. But it is pure music to look at!

...and I like the Opels of that period. They were the secret weapon in the Showroom Stock race series. An inexpensive 2002.

Quote    Reply   

kb s1

Aqua Marine

#788 [url]

Jan 17 17 5:01 PM

Rally spec Mantas are uber cool.
A freind is in the market for a Pantera just now. I really hope he finds one as I love them.

Hopefully get a go in it, he took me to my wedding in his 1970's Ferrari 512BB - and that was before I knew him!

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#791 [url]

Jan 17 17 5:58 PM

jzombie wrote:
For some reason the idea of an "Italian" supercar with an American engine always seems wrong to me, though I get the reasoning behind it... 

The way I originally came across the image was searching for "muscle car". To me the Pantera looks neither fully Italian or American. That's why it's so cool. It doesn't look out of place next to a MOPAR of a similar year or a Ferrarri, Maserati, ect of a similar year.  I'm looking forward to seeing the new Ford GT.

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#797 [url]

Jan 26 17 1:23 PM

It's not as radical as some of the other designs of the time, but still a beautiful car. The father of the guy I bought my Gretsch Tennessean from in 1966 had one. My favorite had to be the Miura, with the 275GTB-4 close behind.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help