viitalahde

Gold Finger

#1 [url]

Feb 24 11 8:13 AM

I'd like to post some stuff here too, but I'm not sure of the copyrights. Steve Dove's "Console Design" articles from Studio Sound come to mind first, as well as Tremaine's "Passive Audio Network Design".

EDIT: Thanks for the EQ document. I was looking for it the other day.

Jaakko Viitalähde Virtalähde Mastering [url]www.virtalahde.com[/url] [url]www.facebook.com/VirtalahdeMastering[/url]

Quote    Reply   

dcollins

Platinum Blonde

#2 [url]

Feb 24 11 2:05 PM

I'd like to post some stuff here too, but I'm not sure of the copyrights. Steve Dove's "Console Design" articles from Studio Sound come to mind first, as well as Tremaine's "Passive Audio Network Design".
EDIT: Thanks for the EQ document. I was looking for it the other day.

-viitalahde

I believe there was a copyright claim on the Steve Dove article.  I almost put it up there myself.

DC

davecollinsmastering.com

Quote    Reply   

barkleymckay

Platinum Blonde

#6 [url]

Feb 26 11 2:27 PM

Thanks!

This is exactly what I hoped this new forum would be!

Those BBC absorbers where what we had at the local community arts studio - the place I do most of my larger ensemble jazz recordings. Lovely sounding room.

When it went to tender two years ago, the new "owner" ripped it all out and plastered the Ghost Acoustics stuff in there. Looks good on a website I guess.

Now there is a much longer decay time for the low end below 100Hz - makes it hard to control when the drummer really gets going and the bass drum triggers room resonances - which bleeds into most mics.

sigh...

before and after:

Click here to view the attachment
Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   

jerry tubb

Gold Finger

#10 [url]

Feb 27 11 7:50 PM

Hey Dave, I see you're a fan of the late Michael Gerzon's work. Did you know him personally?

I remember exchanging a few emails with him back in the mid 90s, seemed like a real genius of a gentleman.

The early Waves plugs ( Q10, L1, C1, S1, IDR) were results of his work, and started the whole plug-in ball rolling.

They were innovative at the time, I had the combo pack, Dave McSnare would remember working with me in those days ; - )

Cheers, JT

Quote    Reply   

magnetosound

Gold Finger

#11 [url]

Feb 28 11 4:35 AM

Fantastic thread, Dave! Thank you very much.

"If you connect you're a genius, if not you're an idiot. So you have to be careful." - Tony K

Quote    Reply   

dcollins

Platinum Blonde

#13 [url]

Feb 28 11 4:39 AM

Hey Dave, I see you're a fan of the late Michael Gerzon's work. Did you know him personally?

-jerry_tubb

No we never met, I would have liked that.  He was undeniably a genius.  Much like Blumlein, people will be discovering (and re-discovering) his work for many decades.

The early Waves plugs ( Q10, L1, C1, S1, IDR) were results of his work, and started the whole plug-in ball rolling.

Yes, absolutely.  Many moons ago I remember Alain Johannes telling me about this great thing called "kswaves" and having no idea what he was talking about.......................

DC

davecollinsmastering.com

Quote    Reply   

dcollins

Platinum Blonde

#19 [url]

May 17 11 3:54 AM

Hey Dave,
Are you taking requests?  I can't find my copy of the Hofer Negative Impedance circuit that I downloaded from you over at the old place.  Would you still have it by any chance?  I believe it was called Hofer_XFRMR.pdf
Thanks,
Ruairi

-ruairi

This is the circuit description.

And the Schematic.

Both from the System One.  It's an amazing idea for test equipment, but for audio, the "problems" of the transformer are something to revel in.........

I don't think the S2 schematics are online anywhere, but I'm sure the same principle applies.

DC

davecollinsmastering.com

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help