dcollins

Platinum Blonde

#41 [url]

Oct 7 11 7:43 PM

Hey, I'm putting that book on order right now, thanks for the tip! I think it's fairly new? I remember visiting Self's site some time ago, and the book was still under work.

-viitalahde

His new one is on the design of active crossovers.  There is also "Self on Audio" which is a compilation of articles he has written.

This is also highly recommended:

http://www.linearaudio.nl/

DC

davecollinsmastering.com

Quote    Reply   

johnr

Platinum Blonde

#43 [url]

Oct 15 11 6:09 AM

His new one is on the design of active crossovers.

-dcollins

I just bought this one but have only had time to quickly skim through it so far. Looks like it's up to Self's usual standard, with loads of useful info that can be applied to analogue design in general (some of which I haven't seen anywhere else).

This is also highly recommended:
http://www.linearaudio.nl/

Damn. More money I have to spend.

Quote    Reply   

dcollins

Platinum Blonde

#47 [url]

Feb 5 12 6:59 PM

so there are other industries besides audio?

-bockaudio

TV uses 75R, but they have other issues.

DC

davecollinsmastering.com

Quote    Reply   

dcollins

Platinum Blonde

#54 [url]

Sep 9 12 3:37 PM

I've been searching for info about resonant shelf filters, and apparently Michael Gerzon has written something about it. Am I right?

-viitalahde

All of the papers I've referenced are here. Although the shelf is a pretty simple circuit, so there are plenty of other references available.

Is there a specific one you are considering?

The Radiotron handbook or Don Lancaster pretty much covers all passive and active solutions, i would think.

DC

davecollinsmastering.com

Quote    Reply   

viitalahde

Gold Finger

#55 [url]

Sep 12 12 12:50 PM

At least I think it would be Michael Gerzon's work, although all references I've seen are just mentions of "Gerzon shelf".

Nothing too specific, the subject is just interesting. I sometimes do these resonant shelf type EQ's since some tracks come in with too much of the energy happening within a narrow spot in the frequency range, and too little conect below or above this frequency. Say, a slight 7kHz cut along with a 8kHz shelf boost or so.

I'll check my archives one more time.

Jaakko Viitalähde Virtalähde Mastering [url]www.virtalahde.com[/url] [url]www.facebook.com/VirtalahdeMastering[/url]

Quote    Reply   

ruairi

Aqua Marine

#58 [url]

Sep 12 12 2:10 PM

did you come to any conclusions?

-strangeandbouncy

Yes!

I'm not very good at electronics.

Seriously though I haven't finished yet.  I'm using www.circuitlab.com and just getting a grip on running basic simulations.  I'm aware of the limitations but for predicting curve shapes I think it works well.

I've built the Porter IO topology and also the Dove Swinging inputs style and I'm dropping in different shelf filters and exploring component values and curve shapes.

I'll report back if I have any useful observations.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help