bob olhsson

Aqua Marine

#61 [url]

Sep 13 12 12:24 PM

I've been searching for info about resonant shelf filters, and apparently Michael Gerzon has written something about it. Am I right?

-viitalahde

Gerzon and Hutch co-developed it for the Waves ren-eq and the massive passive.

Yes, we now have a plug-in modeling hardware that was developed by modeling it with a plug-in!

www.audiomastery.com Bob's room 615 562-4346 georgetownmasters.com Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233 www.thewombforums.com

Quote    Reply   

dcollins

Platinum Blonde

#63 [url]

Sep 16 12 2:56 AM

OK, it's all coming back to me. It must have been the Massive Passive manual I read about Gerzon shelf for the first time from.

-viitalahde

What is this shelf?  I have no idea.

DC

davecollinsmastering.com

Quote    Reply   

dcollins

Platinum Blonde

#66 [url]

Sep 16 12 12:46 PM

Pages 6 and 7, plus multiple mentions of Mr. Gerzon elsewhere.[url]

-lowland

Maybe there is something I'm not getting here, there is absolutely nothing new in that structure.  It's just a shelf with an adjustable Q before the rolloff.  If the Q is greater than .707, it makes a resonance. Iow, the response rises by some amount before dropping.

DC

davecollinsmastering.com

Quote    Reply   

dcollins

Platinum Blonde

#69 [url]

Sep 27 12 3:32 PM

I forgot to continue with the Gerzon shelf discussion. It looks like he never presented an analog circuit for that. It could be there's nothing new about it. I'm always thinking of analog synthesizer VCF's when thinking of a similar shelf.

-viitalahde

Sure.  The "resonant" filter.  As seen in Moog, Little Labs VOG etc.  Nothing new.......

DC

davecollinsmastering.com

Quote    Reply   

funkychorlton

Silverado

#72 [url]

Oct 25 12 7:11 PM

Hi

just weighing in to say how much I appreciate the Gerzon links. I knew him fairly well as a face on the improvised/ experimental music scene in London in the 80s - he was always there, standing at the back holding up a pair of calrec condensers at gigs by Derek Bailey, Eugene Chadbourne or Japanese punk/noise bands I have forgotten the name of and countless others - I think the National Sound Archive might have at least some of those recordings now. There must have been thousand of hours of them.

And mentioned he really was a gentleman and first and foremost a true music lover - when I planned a trip to Africa he gave me a lot of his time talking through the various mic, recorder and battery options and he talked to me about King Sunny Ade, Ocora recordings and other African music he loved. He did that for a lot of other people too - remarkable generosity.

When I first knew him he was working on the maths behind the compression algorithms used on minidisc players which I believe went on to be the basis of MP3 - am I correct about that? He had terrible health problems, which perhaps gave him a sense of urgency to document as much as he could in the limited time he had but I am sure many of his ideas went undocumented because he seemed to have a constant stream of them.

richard-scott.net/ finding my mastering wings

Quote    Reply   

dcollins

Platinum Blonde

#73 [url]

Dec 12 12 9:51 PM

While pretty technical, I found this article on Mayan Astronomical Computer to be really wild.  

Amazingly accurate.

Nothing about the end of the world though.

DC

davecollinsmastering.com

Quote    Reply   

chrisjuried

Tin Man

#74 [url]

Dec 28 12 1:07 PM

I believe Transmission line effect just starts to take place at 4400' at 20kHz.... Ring a bell? 

We do not have to be worried, lol.

To be explicit, one should probably always express the reference impedance for power measurements like this:  dBm(50), or dBm(600) as I agree there could be confusion otherwise.  Especially if you are willing to admit there are industries other than audio in the world.
Just as an aside, there is actually no such thing as a true transmission line in audio.  This is something the phone company has to worry about, but unless your tie-lines are greater than, say, 5 miles it's just a wire with lumped parameters.

DC

-dcollins

Sincerely,   

Chris Juried  
Audio Engineering Society (AES) Member 
InfoComm-Recognized AV Technologist

Juried Engineering, LLC

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help