fenris

Platinum Blonde

#84 [url]

Aug 2 14 4:41 AM

viitalahde wrote:
A shelf that has an opposite resonance at the corner frequency - i.e a slight dip with a shelving boost and a peak with a shelving cut. ... I forgot to continue with the Gerzon shelf discussion. It looks like he never presented an analog circuit for that.

I've been extensively modding the EQ in my Wheatstone console and trying to get that type of shelf from a state variable circuit. I got a shelf with adjustable resonance, where it has a peak at the top of the slope and a dip at the bottom of the slope. Still working on a shelf with only the dip. It may involve combining the BP and HP outputs. I know it can be done, because the Undertone Audio console does it with a potentiometer that fades between bell and shelf.

Last Edited By: fenris Aug 2 14 4:44 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#87 [url]

Jul 10 17 8:51 AM

dcollins wrote:
Submitted without comment:

http://milbert.com/Files/articles/DanCheever.pdf

There is certainly "magic" when one is able to overlook the quantifiable for the experiential because it's comparatively unimportant, as illustrated in the shocking "horse-before-cart" epiphany : "I have become convinced single ended tube amplifiers sound fabulous in spite of their distortion, not because of it" which he uses at the beginning of the paper to illustrate his thesis.

That is well worth pondering in an era of digital plugins who's only resemblance to the analog devices they seek to emulate is the distortion, rather than the "sound".

[Edited to avoid the distracting and irony killing effects of misattribution]

Last Edited By: zmix Jul 12 17 6:55 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

dcollins

Platinum Blonde

#88 [url]

Jul 12 17 11:42 AM

One commenter on diyaudio.com said something to the effect of "Not only wouldn't I have awarded him his MSc, I would have taken away his BSc"

davecollinsmastering.com

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#89 [url]

Jul 12 17 1:09 PM

zmix wrote:

dcollins wrote:Submitted without comment:

There is certainly "magic" when one is able to overlook the quantifiable for the experiential because it's comparatively unimportant, as he does here in a shocking "horse-before-cart" epiphany when he states: "I have become convinced single ended tube amplifiers sound fabulous in spite of their distortion, not because of it."
That's worth pondering in an era of digital plugins who's only resemblance to the analog devices they seek to emulate is the distortion, rather than the "sound".

Chuck,

That wasn't the author's conclusion--it was part of a block quotation from a Stereophile review of a single-ended amplifier.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#90 [url]

Jul 12 17 2:36 PM

dcollins wrote:
One commenter on diyaudio.com said something to the effect of "Not only wouldn't I have awarded him his MSc, I would have taken away his BSc"

Incredible...   

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#91 [url]

Jul 12 17 6:56 PM

soapfoot wrote:
zmix wrote:

dcollins wrote:Submitted without comment:

There is certainly "magic" when one is able to overlook the quantifiable for the experiential because it's comparatively unimportant, as he does here in a shocking "horse-before-cart" epiphany when he states: "I have become convinced single ended tube amplifiers sound fabulous in spite of their distortion, not because of it."
That's worth pondering in an era of digital plugins who's only resemblance to the analog devices they seek to emulate is the distortion, rather than the "sound".

Chuck,

That wasn't the author's conclusion--it was part of a block quotation from a Stereophile review of a single-ended amplifier.
Thanks so much Brad, I changed it to avoid any further confusion..!!

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#92 [url]

Jul 12 17 8:49 PM

I finished reading the thesis in its entirety just now.

There may have been a few interesting ideas buried in there-- perhaps enough to serve as a jumping-off point for more rigorous, methodologically sound research.

I did find myself befuddled by some rather curious assertions-- for instance, I still can't work out what conclusion I'm supposed to draw from harmonic and intermodulation distortion measurements wherein designed-in negative feedback is defeated and open-loop distortion products measured.

I also think the conclusion about the harmonics of the cochlear hairs' own vibration "masking" harmonic distortion products-- but only in certain proportions-- read as rather tenuous and perhaps specious. I admit that I did not follow all of the literature cited in the end-notes; perhaps this is based upon sound physiological (or psychological) reasearch with which I'm just not yet acquainted.

Finally, there were points where the writing simply wasn't clear to me-- not in a "technically, this is over my head" way so much as a "my brain is having difficulty parsing the sentence structure" way. Several spelling and grammar errors throughout, too, not to mention unorthodox and inconsistent abbreviations: "SPLs," "SPL's" "sound pressure level" "sound pressure levels," "S.P.L." and "S.P.L's" were all used, to my recollection, at some point. If I were on the committee, I would not have let the thesis pass defense with those errors.

Still, a few thought-provoking ideas within.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#93 [url]

Jul 14 17 7:40 AM

It's a masters thesis, period. Apart from that insight I garnered from it (in my OP) I can't say I'd recommend it as a study. In general I find these sort of thesis, well meaning and hopeful as they may be, to be predicated on some idea which appears larger from a distance. The point of a masters thesis is to demonstrate the capability to manage an idea through it's various stages from theory to practice and back, (to put it simply). I am frequently invited to sit on a senior thesis review panel at NYIT and I always enjoy seeing the most outrageous ideas run through these procedural protocols, and each member of the panel has a specific skill set or experience through which they evaluate these presentations, it's one of the most interesting experiences I have each year, mostly for the reason I gave at the beginning of this reply, because they provide an opportunity to strengthen your metacognition skills.

Quote    Reply   

chance

Aqua Marine

#94 [url]

Jul 14 17 3:47 PM

zmix wrote:
It's a masters thesis, period. Apart from that insight I garnered from it (in my OP) I can't say I'd recommend it as a study. In general I find these sort of thesis, well meaning and hopeful as they may be, to be predicated on some idea which appears larger from a distance. The point of a masters thesis is to demonstrate the capability to manage an idea through it's various stages from theory to practice and back, (to put it simply). I am frequently invited to sit on a senior thesis review panel at NYIT and I always enjoy seeing the most outrageous ideas run through these procedural protocols, and each member of the panel has a specific skill set or experience through which they evaluate these presentations, it's one of the most interesting experiences I have each year, mostly for the reason I gave at the beginning of this reply, because they provide an opportunity to strengthen your metacognition skills.

Love to sit in just to observe. Are there any video archives?

Chance Pataki The Musicians Workshop www.the-musicians-workshop.com musicians.workshop@gte.net

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help