compasspnt

Diamond Forever

Lead

Mar 21 11 5:21 PM

Tags : :

Wow, we are incredibly fortunate here at PRW to have a legendary figure as our first-ever Guest Moderator!

Welcome to none other than John Agnello!

For the one guy living under a rock who doesn't know, John has worked with so many great artists as Producer, Engineer, and/or Mixer, including Dinosaur Jr., Sonic Youth, Bob Dylan, The Fixx, Earth Wind & Fire, Gigolo Aunts, Alice Cooper, Smithereens, Roger Waters, Drive By Truckers, Graham Parker, Lemonheads, Mick Jagger, Patti Smith, The Screaming Trees...the list could go on and on.

Huge Welcome John...

Here come the questions!

Click here to view the attachment
Quote    Reply   

bh

Silverado

#2 [url]

Mar 21 11 5:29 PM

Welcome John!  I really appreciate you taking the time to chat with us a bit.

I thought the Sonic Youth record you produced, Rather Ripped, sounded great.  Can you tell us a little bit about its making?

Did the unusual tunings and timbres present any special challenges, or were you able to approach it more or less like a standard rock band? 

Thanks,
Brian Harper
Chicago

Quote    Reply   

john agnello

Silverado

#3 [url]

Mar 21 11 6:55 PM

Hey everybody, thanks to Terry, Ross and my mentor, the mighty William Wittman for asking me to do this.  I am super stoked and look forward to answering whatever.  As one of the last generation of studio rat, who got to assist for some of the great producers and engineers of the late 70's and 80's,  I hope I can give you a bit of old school/new school insight.  And I know a bunch of musician jokes.  

Thanks again, 

Let er fly!

John

Up is louder.

Quote    Reply   

compasspnt

Diamond Forever

#4 [url]

Apr 19 11 9:11 AM

Well, it has been a great few weeks with John as Guest Mod, and now, by popular demand, he has agreed to stay on full time, co-hosting with his arch enemy William Wittman.

So rather than locking and archiving all of these great topics, we will be folding them into the full Production Forum, os they can keep on going.

Thanks to all, and especially of course to John!

Quote    Reply   

weedywet

Ruby Baby

#8 [url]

Apr 20 11 12:14 AM

there is no other kind

a Martini is a drink made with Gin and Vermouth.
omit the vermouth or substitute for the gin and it's NOT a Martini

just as there is no Rum Margarita or Vodka Mint Julep, etc.

Quote    Reply   

LeforaGuest

New Forum Friend

#9 [url]

Apr 20 11 12:52 AM

Excuse me, I have this argument with another freak all the time. =oP

A proper Martini is made with about a quart of ice, 8 oz. of Stolichnaya, and your shake a shot of vermouth onto the ice, then strain it unto the ice is just ice.. then you shake the vodka in, and strain it into a Martini glass with 2 olives on a toothpick without a windmill or any flair. The toothpick is hickory, and yes it matters.

It's vodka. I grew up near pine trees. It's vodka.. gin is for tonic, and when you need a fresh smell in your house, just like that horrid Pine-Sol.

(although I like gin and tonic.. err.. good gin and tonic)

Quote    Reply   

johnwhynot

Aqua Marine

#10 [url]

Apr 20 11 1:00 AM

This is not a matter of opinion.

William is exactly right.

Nothing wrong with the other concoctions.  But a Martini is exactly as he describes.

Been there, done with that.

Quote    Reply   

leonardo

Platinum Blonde

#12 [url]

Apr 20 11 7:45 AM

Tanqueray in mine please. Unless you have a better suggestion.

I AM willing to try.

If your talking Vodka, then it better involve a potato and not a grain Vodka.

And if you are talking Vodka, then you are def not talking Martini.

Quote    Reply   

LeforaGuest

New Forum Friend

#13 [url]

Apr 20 11 7:55 AM

Tanqueray in mine please. Unless you have a better suggestion.
I AM willing to try.

If your talking Vodka, then it better involve a potato and not a grain Vodka.
And if you are talking Vodka, then you are def not talking Martini.

-leonardo

+1

Isn't it a bit early to be talking about this?

Quote    Reply   

LeforaGuest

New Forum Friend

#17 [url]

Apr 20 11 10:11 AM

Me too, except maybe once a year for champagne, and maybe once more for vodka martinis.

I do like a hot beer occasionally. Once every three years now? Less.

Quote    Reply   

sidechain

Gold Finger

#18 [url]

Apr 20 11 11:23 AM

I am generally quite a tolerant person by nature - your personal choice of religion, politics, sexual proclivities and reading materials make not the slightest wrinkle in my world view - as long as you are happy and not hurting anyone, do precisely as you will.

However, I will - nay must - draw the line at the proper mixing of a martini.

I want to make this perfectly clear;  there is no such thing as a "vodka martini".   Repeat that silently to yourself for a few moments until you can feel the weight of it.  Nor is there any such thing as a "chocolate martini" <shudder> nor the dreaded "apple" one, either.

A martini consists of:
English gin
French vermouth
1 (and only one) olive.

1)  STIR, do not shake, the gin (and only the gin) in an appropriately sized ice filled container.  If you shake it, the ice will shatter, and leave tiny chunks in your gin, and you will have made a "Bradford" - NOT a martini.  Also, the ice must be extremely cold.  Watery gin resulting from "warm" ice is a sure fire ticket to ridicule.  Don't let this happen to you.

2) Gently strain the now chilled gin into the vermouth.  Add the olive.  Voila.

The ONLY acceptably deviation from the above is to rub the edge of the glass with the rind of a lemon, perhaps giving a final "twist" into the glass.  Discard immediately.  If you dare leave this forlorn piece of rind floating in the glass, a representative of the Martini Society will see to it that your children's children suffer horrible fates at the hands of barbarians and witches.

If you prefer less vermouth, this is marginally acceptable.  Mr. Churchill's famous recipe was to pour a glass of chilled gin, and before drinking, wave it in the general direction of France.

If you prefer vodka, by all means please yourself, but do not call it a Martini.  Ever.  You are only revealing your ignorance for the amusement of the educated world.  Just.  Don't.

<sigh>  I feel better now.

Devin Knutson Zen Buddhist to hot-dog vendor: "Make me one with everything." www.reverbnation.com/devinknutson

Quote    Reply   

weedywet

Ruby Baby

#20 [url]

Apr 20 11 2:53 PM

Tanqueray in mine please. Unless you have a better suggestion.I AM willing to try.

-leonardo

I am big on Bombay Sapphire.

Tanqueray in mine please. Unless you have a better suggestion.I AM willing to try.If your talking Vodka, then it better involve a potato and not a grain Vodka.And if you are talking Vodka, then you are def not talking Martini. 

-leonardo

agreed!
Have you tried Luksusowa?
very nice, and not pricey either.
Polish potato vodka (the name means luxury)

I have nothing against vodka drinks. They're just not Martinis.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help