I like 'em dirty.

Chilled glass, VERY thin stem.
4 oz. Beefeaters
1/2 oz dry
1/2 oz sweet
4 cubes for stirring.
1 olive WITH pimento
splash of olive juice (sorry, purists)

Tanqueray has too much juniper in it for me. Bombay will do and I like the bottle. Vodka served this way is a GIBSON in my book...and it usually gets an onion. I like those too.

Oh, and "Hi folks".

Quote    Reply   

mdm

Platinum Blonde

#47 [url]

May 3 11 6:37 PM

Excuse me, I have this argument with another freak all the time. =oP

A proper Martini is made with about a quart of ice, 8 oz. of Stolichnaya, and your shake a shot of vermouth onto the ice, then strain it unto the ice is just ice.. then you shake the vodka in, and strain it into a Martini glass with 2 olives on a toothpick without a windmill or any flair. The toothpick is hickory, and yes it matters.

It's vodka. I grew up near pine trees. It's vodka.. gin is for tonic, and when you need a fresh smell in your house, just like that horrid Pine-Sol.

(although I like gin and tonic.. err.. good gin and tonic)

-tidewater

my fave Martini is prepared as you say with the martini condensing on the ice inside the shaker (dry Martini) and the bartender throws away everything which does not stick to the ice (essential oils etc.) and then vodka.. or gin.. and a twist of lemon or olive.. depending on the mood and availability..

the martini in this case is there to cover the taste of alcohol, which makes plain gin taste and smell a bit cheap..

the original martini dry had a bit more vermouth mixed-in and was originally made with french vermouth.. even though Vermouth was really invented in Italy!  Hic!...

Quote    Reply   

wireline

Aqua Marine

#48 [url]

May 3 11 6:52 PM

That sure looks like an Epiphone in that picture...look at the headstock --- NO, THE OTHER HEADSTOCK

Ken Morgan

Please...Give It A Rest

Quote    Reply   

LeforaGuest

New Forum Friend

#50 [url]

May 3 11 9:48 PM

Hey. I was just talking about you 300 days in a row!
Beefeaters... vodka.

-tidewater

What'd I do now?
How's tricks, Miles?

I like a good Grey Goose now and then, but I never call it a martini! It just don't feel right.

And @WW- thanks, nice place you have here...who decorated? Much nicer than Fletcher's Flop House.

Quote    Reply   

mikeconrad

Gold Finger

#51 [url]

May 3 11 11:23 PM

i don't mind an occasional single malt or nice aged cognac
a 10 yr old cab sav is hard to knock back at dinner, but i value my wellbeing much more than i did when i was younger, so a couple of glasses at most...

-max

Single malt snobbery!
I'll have a Dewars please, rock glass full of ice with a splash.
Love the cab sav as well.

Quote    Reply   

weedywet

Ruby Baby

#52 [url]

May 3 11 11:48 PM

And @WW- thanks, nice place you have here...who decorated? Much nicer than Fletcher's Flop House.

-phantom309

we didn't let the advertisers choose the decor

Quote    Reply   

weedywet

Ruby Baby

#53 [url]

May 3 11 11:51 PM

Single malt snobbery! I'll have a Dewars please, rock glass full of ice with a splash.Love the cab sav as well.

-mikeconrad

I love single malt whisky

but I'm not a snob. Can't say I'm big on Dewars, but I enjoy an Irish whiskey now and then - Jamesons or Bushmills.

I could start a whole other tirade on wine nomenclature.
the BEST wine producing countries focus on terroir, and name their wines for the region, not the grapes.

knowing a wine comes from bourdeaux or from the piedmont tells you a lot more about what to expect than what grapes it's made from.

Quote    Reply   

LeforaGuest

New Forum Friend

#55 [url]

May 4 11 1:07 AM

I love single malt whisky
but I'm not a snob. Can't say I'm big on Dewars, but I enjoy an Irish whiskey now and then - Jamesons or Bushmills.

-weedywet

Malt is for sock hops. Whiskey is made by rednecks.

You guys and your odd drinks. No wonder you put Pine Sol in your martinis!

Quote    Reply   

johnwhynot

Aqua Marine

#56 [url]

May 4 11 1:13 AM

Some would say the only proper mixer for good whiskey is spit.

A decent blended Scotch in a cut glass with two ice cubes and freshly spritzed water is pretty damn good, however.  There was a time when I would walk down to Pavilions in West Hollywood carrying one of those drinks.  No-one disturbed me.  But then, I'm pretty sure I was the only breeder within blocks.

Days long gone.

Miles - what about liquor in mason jars, eh?  Couple of peaches languishing in the moonshine.

It almost sounds good to me.

But not quite.

JW

Quote    Reply   

LeforaGuest

New Forum Friend

#57 [url]

May 4 11 8:13 AM

You showed up... now about these Helios pictures?
(backflip)

[image]

-tidewater

Heh. I've been lurking this site for awhile...I've had enough of "you know who" and the pissing match over the Helios research. I've been in frequent contact with Philip Newell over the last year and put lots of new information about the Manor Mobile, Island Mobile, Virgin, Pye remote and his great books in our files. Many surprises!! But I'll leave that to the private world of personal emails. Meanwhile, the Strawberry desk has been a peach! The CS-4 and CS-1 trio are working magic moments and it's an audio orgy in here. Business has been fair, but a lot better than it is for many...I think Calgary dodged a lot of the bullets in the downturn. Oil money and all that.
Anywho, glad you're still here...vodka "martini" and all!

Quote    Reply   

leonardo

Platinum Blonde

#58 [url]

May 4 11 8:28 AM

Hey Dave;--nice to see you here, it's about time.

BTW, when we brought Ken Scott up here Bushmills was his sole 'rider' request.

Quote    Reply   

LeforaGuest

New Forum Friend

#59 [url]

May 4 11 8:43 AM

Hey Dave;--nice to see you here, it's about time.
BTW, when we brought Ken Scott up here Bushmills was his sole 'rider' request.

-leonardo

Ha...yeah, I asked him what he would like to have with meals while here. He said : "Blended Scotch and COKE" and that the Beatles taught him to drink with that concoction. I was curious and tried it....not horrible, but I'm not a soft drink guy. My favourite moment was 2 hours alone with him and John Smith at a Perkins restaurant happily answering any and all Beatles questions. Heaven!!

Here's one for all of you Ebay speculators- After a very late dinner one night, we had pretty much depleted a bottle of JB and in a conversation about  a session here that he was about to engineer, I asked him what of the older desks he preferred. He looked straight ahead and without pause said "Calrec, they're the best out there...period". I've heard that George Harrison's home studio had a big Calrec in it.
Get 'em while they're not.

Quote    Reply   

leonardo

Platinum Blonde

#60 [url]

May 4 11 9:55 AM

Calrec or Cadac? I seem to remember him telling me Cadac.

I had a million Beatle questions for Ken--and he gave up many stories without proding--but I thought that he would be all Beatled out so I narrowed it down to one question;--

Had John lived, do you think that given time and maturity they would have ever gotten back together?

"Not a fucking chance".

Ken is such a great hang, I'd love to bring him back up here.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help