LeforaGuest

New Forum Friend

#62 [url]

May 4 11 10:06 AM

Calrec or Cadac? I seem to remember him telling me Cadac.
I had a million Beatle questions for Ken--and he gave up many stories without proding--but I thought that he would be all Beatled out so I narrowed it down to one question;--
Had John lived, do you think that given time and maturity they would have ever gotten back together?
"Not a fucking chance".

Ken is such a great hang, I'd love to bring him back up here.

-leonardo

Geeze....it WAS Cadac. Sorry!  Yes, he's very generous about those moments. It was funny listening to him and John argue about what time of day it was when they finished The White Album. I think they settled on 5:00 AM. The Cadac uses those gyrator circuits in the EQ, no?

Quote    Reply   

ssltech

Aqua Marine

#65 [url]

May 4 11 10:32 AM

The cat.

-likes to curl up in the warm spot just above the subgroup faders, I think!

(just kidding!) -Welcome David!

-Keith Andrews -If I can't fix it, I can fix it so [i]NOBODY[/i] can fix it!

Quote    Reply   

LeforaGuest

New Forum Friend

#66 [url]

May 4 11 10:36 AM

Keith (thanks), do you have any service and/or engineering experience with the Cadac G? Does the modern Cadac Co. have service docs?

And thanks for the shorty patch cords!!

Quote    Reply   

sidechain

Gold Finger

#67 [url]

May 4 11 12:25 PM

Can't say I'm big on Dewars, but I enjoy an Irish whiskey now and then - Jamesons or Bushmills.

-weedywet

As an aside, if you enjoy the Jamesons or the Bushmills, do yourself a favor and try the Redbreast.  A 12 year, single malt, triple distilled Irish whiskey... a whole 'nother world.   It's magnificent, and not really all that spendy.  Exactly two cubes, please.

http://12bottlebar.com/2010/04/12/bottle-no-7-redbreast-irish-whiskey/

Devin Knutson Zen Buddhist to hot-dog vendor: "Make me one with everything." www.reverbnation.com/devinknutson

Quote    Reply   

weedywet

Ruby Baby

#68 [url]

May 4 11 2:06 PM

wow, Calrec, not Cadac?

I wonder how much whisky!

oops, I see that was covered.

I never loved the pres in the Cadac desks, but a lot of us started on them one place or another.
RTB also really liked them.

OTOH I'd be very curious to get my hands on a working Sound Techniques desk to see if they sounded as good as I like to remember them

Quote    Reply   

weedywet

Ruby Baby

#70 [url]

May 4 11 3:27 PM

interesting, thanks

I'm always a mite suspicious of the preamp only approach.

it's NEVER the same as in the desk. Sometimes they just did something odd or even wrong in the summing and interfacing that turns out to be so right.

perfect case in point is that as much as I like Trident A or Daking modules, there is something about the A Range desk that is a completely different, superior, animal.
And I'm sure it lies somewhere in how messed up it is in many ways.

Quote    Reply   

LeforaGuest

New Forum Friend

#71 [url]

May 4 11 3:30 PM

OTOH I'd be very curious to get my hands on a working Sound Techniques desk to see if they sounded as good as I like to remember them

-weedywet

Show up here in 6 months. We are in the middle of a small 12 channel mixer using Sound Techniques strips from the Elektra desk. Cyril Jones is doing the build. ALL of it is ST, including the group amps w/ Painton faders. I can't wait to hear it.

Quote    Reply   

strangeandbouncy

Platinum Blonde

#74 [url]

May 4 11 4:02 PM

Hi,

agreed. Its the same with any of the good ol boys I have had the pleasure with. So much of the sound must be coming form the mix bus and mix amps. I have a bunch of ancient Helios channels, and they sure sound good, but not a pinch to any complete Helios Ive had the pleasure to use. I even have a pair of mix amp cards, but I cannot find out how to hook them up, mix resistor values etc. No documentation anywhere that I have found. Ho Hum.

Anyone around here got any idea, by any chance . . . . .

Kindest regards,

ANdyP

Ruh Roh . . . . .

Quote    Reply   

max

Gold Finger

#77 [url]

Jun 5 11 7:13 PM

william wrote:

"he BEST wine producing countries focus on terroir, and name their wines for the region, not the grapes."

there's a greater difference between coonawarra cabernet sauvignon and a coonawarra merlot than a coonawarra merlot and a hunter valley merlot

hell every year tastes different!

the amount of variation within the terroir is also immense

i like wine made with cabernet sauvignon grapes picked in the right place at the right time aged >10 years more than any other sorts of wine, whether they come from south australia, bordeaux or california

but that's just me...

Quote    Reply   

jetbase

Gold Finger

#79 [url]

Jun 5 11 8:09 PM

...or say Cockfighter's Ghost once without sniggering (after drinking their Coonawarra Cab Sav).

Glenn Santry HeartBeat Studio

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help