peteandrews

Gold Finger

Lead

Mar 30 11 10:50 AM

Tags : :

alright...

this seems like the time to start one of these threads, so i'm going to go for it. 

So i have been  working in a 3 room basement studio since 98 here on the jersey shore and the time has been long overdue to move into a bigger space. The biggest impetus is the fact that my 2 kids are now to the age where they really need a basement hangout type spot, and they've never had such a thing. All their lives, all they have known is the basement is "Dad's Basement". You can see in the pictures on my blog linked below all the crap that's stuffed down here. It's a bit intense to say the least... even when it's cleaned and in order.  it's unreal when i have a full band in here (which is often).
So for a few years i have been making plans, drawing sketchups, dreaming, etc. but the time has come to really move forward. Initially i was thinking of converting (i.e. knocking down and rebuilding) a garage on my property into a 2 room facility, but we are now going to go with an addition to the house. We have a screened in porch around back that is in pretty rough shape, so instead of re-screening it... i thought, lets take it right the heck off, dig a really deep basement under it, and rebuild it (and extend it into the yard another 5 feet) as an addition. It will become the control room, and the new basement underneath will be the tracking room. it will work out nicely as there would be a separate entrance to the rooms from the driveway on the side of the house... and the back hallway that leads from the porch now to the kitchen has a bathroom in it. put a new door at the end of that hallway (before the kitchen) and you've effectively blocked the rest of the house off from clients using the can. i likey. In the first set of pics you can see what i'm working with. 

Click here to view the attachment
Quote    Reply   

peteandrews

Gold Finger

#1 [url]

Mar 30 11 11:03 AM

so as i'm doing all this planning, i'm reconsidering what i will keep and what i will sell, what i need to upgrade, etc.... i have for some time been considering getting a new console around the same time as the build. i figure.. i'm shelling out tons of cash... whats a little more for a new desk?! my current board Tascam M3500 needs to go. i want to start mixing outside my computer, and this board is not appropriate for that kind of kung-fu. it's great for monitoring, routing, cue mixes, etc.. but i would never record or mix anything with it. Open up more than 4 channels and it's like you whacked a beehive with a boomstick. i had been "sort of" shopping around when i came across a neotek series 3c for sale close to me. It needed work (the kind i can certainly do)... but it is a lot of console for the $$. this is the board that was in Millbrook, NY at Paul O's place. i figure... this is way too early to get something.. i don't even have a room yet! So me and my partner Tim went for a visit anyway. that sold us. after seeing the routing options and envisioning it in my setup, i was like ... YES.  after some back and forth it looks like we are going for it. my plan is in the next month to clear out my desk here, loose a lot of gear and one rack, and jam this thing down in my current spot until my new room is ready. i am very excited to get to work on this thing! here it is (dig the picture of it in Mix in 84):

Quote    Reply   

dave harrison

Gold Finger

#6 [url]

Mar 30 11 1:36 PM

Are you going to get the fake to the same weight to see what you will really be in for??

so next up, how do i get a 9 foot desk down into a basement?
build a fake and try it! i will be doing this over the next few days, so stay tuned....
[image]

-peteandrews

Quote    Reply   

peteandrews

Gold Finger

#8 [url]

Mar 30 11 2:06 PM

tell you guys what....
i'll mix something on the fake and then ITB and we'll see who can tell the difference.

update:
prelim test with the partial fake (as pictured above) looks promising. i was assuming i would have to take the frame apart (sides off, buckets apart, unwire it ALL, etc etc) and bring it down literally in pieces, but i think once the legs are off (and all the modules out of course) the whole thing will slip down here alright... 

next step is to complete the fake (put runs of 1x2 along the meter bridge and armrest sections) and do it again. it's like training for the olympics.

-pete

Quote    Reply   

sidechain

Gold Finger

#9 [url]

Mar 30 11 3:23 PM

next step is to complete the fake (put runs of 1x2 along the meter bridge and armrest sections) and do it again. it's like training for the olympics.

-peteandrews

...or like the Mercury program.    "Okay, do it again...  this time, with a monkey!"

Devin Knutson Zen Buddhist to hot-dog vendor: "Make me one with everything." www.reverbnation.com/devinknutson

Quote    Reply   

compasspnt

Diamond Forever

#10 [url]

Mar 30 11 6:49 PM

It is often amazing what can fit through doors and around corners, things you think would not go.

Then occasionally you run into a roadblock.

Quote    Reply   

peteandrews

Gold Finger

#13 [url]

Apr 1 11 4:27 PM

right on...

the fake fits! no walls have to come down, no doors need to come off, no major appliances or furniture needs moving.. this was a great little dry run to plan out the "moves" we'll need to do with the real deal. My main concerns are as follows:

1) unknown weight! even totally unloaded and without it's iron legs... how much will this thing weight? no idea. i'm hoping to keep all the wiring looms attached to the strips in the back as well, which will certainly add 100, maybe 150 lbs (maybe more??) ... but that leads to issue....
2) leaving the wiring looms attached. when it was moved to it's current location, they just dumped all the looms into the empty frame and rolled it in place. my required "moves" here involve a few 90deg rotations... albeit no full on flip overs... so i could potentially make a substantial (temporary) netting that would hold all the looms in the frame as we dance about with this. thoughts?

-pete

Quote    Reply   

compasspnt

Diamond Forever

#15 [url]

Apr 1 11 5:48 PM

And VERY VERY IMPORTANT:

Make sure you have totally enough manpower for all lifting.

Keep your fingers well cared for and out of the way.

Maybe Keith Bird (KB_S1) here might want to tell the story of moving a large desk in Glasgow.

Quote    Reply   

peteandrews

Gold Finger

#16 [url]

Apr 2 11 7:15 AM

terry - 
yes! i have a TON (maybe too many) people willing and wanting to help... so first task is to  pick the right ones (if you catch my drift). we're also planning "hand-off" areas; such as the bottom of the stairs where movers can't really move around corners and such where a 2nd "B-Team" will take over and do the next section.

we also plan on one person there who's sole job it is to take pictures to capture all the hilarity. 

-pete

Quote    Reply   

compasspnt

Diamond Forever

#19 [url]

Apr 3 11 6:36 PM

I reckon:

When you finally get it in place, be sure {that you have} attached the legs first. You don't want it to go Cliff diving.

...Recalling Clifford's falling piano incident.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help