peteandrews

Gold Finger

#181 [url]

Feb 3 15 8:19 AM

yes - he does.
now you guys are getting me worried a bit. I'll talk to him this morning.

-pete

EDIT: just talked to him - he says we don't need a vapor barrier up there. R30 is all the code requires evidently. 

Last Edited By: peteandrews Feb 3 15 8:23 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

peteandrews

Gold Finger

#182 [url]

Feb 12 15 7:43 AM

starting to look like a room... 2 layers of 5/8", greenglue in between going up. bolts have been mounted in the hat channel for the clouds to hang from. inner wall framing could possibly start today! all the planning and details i've though i had all sorted now start coming up... plus lots of little things i didn't think of.
I keep needing to remind myself: In the end, this will be a studio (of sorts) no matter what.  

Quote    Reply   

peteandrews

Gold Finger

#184 [url]

Feb 13 15 10:13 PM

today the inner walls started going up... 2 of the 4 done already. Monday they start rocking the one side of the room while the 2nd wall of the other side is being built. 2nd set of windows and sliding glass doors will go in after all the rock is in. That means this weekend i'm insulating

Quote    Reply   

tb av

Platinum Blonde

#185 [url]

Feb 18 15 10:44 AM

If you put a vapor barrier in that ceiling you will trap moisture. The way they make a really well insulated roof like that is to do what you have done -except- on the outside above teh sheathing you put layers of ridgid foam.. then another layer of sheathing, then the roof..

1. Roof
2. Underlayment
3. OSB
4. Ridgid foam - like R-20 ---- *********
5. Sheathing with all joints foamed
6. Soft air insulation like you have
7. Ceiling

The R value goes way up and you don't get ice and moisture. ***** you might want to look up the International Residential Building Code regarding unvented roof because that ridgid foam above the sheathing prevents moisture. The fact your guy says R30 is what you need may only be half the story. IOW,,, R30 installed to a certain specification regarding moisture prevention, not simply stick some R30 up there.

Did the building inspector pass it with the insulation installed or did he only see the open roof?

Quote    Reply   

peteandrews

Gold Finger

#186 [url]

Feb 18 15 1:15 PM

Inspector passed it - everyone has known the plan for unvented construction from the start... .so i guess we're all good to go.
at this point, everything is sealed up and ready for taping though... so not much i can do about it now.
today they are rocking the walls. by tomorrow i think the inner windows / sliding doors are going in. then it's up to me to knock out the floor and all the finish work.
pics to come later!
-pete

Quote    Reply   

tb av

Platinum Blonde

#187 [url]

Feb 18 15 5:53 PM

peteandrews wrote:
Inspector passed it - everyone has known the plan for unvented construction from the start... .so i guess we're all good to go.
at this point, everything is sealed up and ready for taping though... so not much i can do about it now.
today they are rocking the walls. by tomorrow i think the inner windows / sliding doors are going in. then it's up to me to knock out the floor and all the finish work.
pics to come later!
-pete

Let's hope so....

This guy has his site up to date as of late 2014 for this very issue.... you can read the part down the page about unvented cathedral ceiling.
http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/how-build-insulated-cathedral-ceiling

Quote    Reply   

peteandrews

Gold Finger

#189 [url]

Feb 20 15 10:23 AM

ok more pics!
rock is all up. we did the "scream test" last night... couldn't help myself. 
one person went in the room of the house that's right behind this wall you see and the other stayed about where that lamp is and yelled as loud as they could. 
you could hear it *a bit* coming through the door there on the right... but not at all through the wall. We'll see when a drum kit is being worked over... but i'm very optimistic!
-pete

Last Edited By: peteandrews Feb 20 15 3:31 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

peteandrews

Gold Finger

#191 [url]

Feb 20 15 10:27 AM

window detail... 
here you can see the gap between the outer window assembly and the inner wall. 
once the inner window is in (by the end of today) that gap will be hidden by some molding attached so that it isn't touching the outer window frame and hides the gap.
it makes sense in my mind. trust me. 

Quote    Reply   

peteandrews

Gold Finger

#193 [url]

Feb 23 15 10:03 AM

holy cow so many people here doing different jobs at once...
siding / taping / framing the iso booth.
it's nice to see lots getting done finally. After this week i think most of the work left is in my court. Flooring, trim, painting, cloud construction / hanging, etc.
pics later...

-pete

Quote    Reply   

peteandrews

Gold Finger

#194 [url]

Feb 26 15 7:19 AM

Taping / mud almost done... this saturday i'm set to paint with a crew of knuckleheadz.
trim between windows going in today. monday is mini-spit install / doors install / etc. 
wide pine flooring getting ordered today from a mill in the middle of Mass. Gonna drive to pick that up to save bucks!
Once me and my pops install that, gear starts going in!

shot from up hi in the corner. there's my last minute vocal booth... lots of storage on top!
this is looking toward where the console will be from the corner where i'll sit the drums (most likely).

-pete

Quote    Reply   

peteandrews

Gold Finger

#195 [url]

Apr 13 15 10:14 PM

ha!
well, i certainly have let the grass grow long on ye 'ol studio build thread here. I'm gonna be lazy and reveal the end now and then fill in the thread with what happened in the last few months...

at this point we are essentially done... there are some more acoustic treatment excersizes to go through of course as i learn what the room sounds like, but as of friday i was off and running with my first session. Of course it ran about an hour longer than it should have due to me adjusting workflow, finding unconnected things, new console bugs (from moving it!), etc etc. But material got recorded and i will say, drums sound better than i ever thought they could've in there. 

There are so many things i've learned along the way designing / building / insulating / paying / driving / cracking whips / sanding / painting / sawing / sanding / sealing / caulking / trimming / wiring / etc etc etc .... 
hopefully i can remember them and add them in as i look through all the pics that i took. 

-pete

Quote    Reply   

barkleymckay

Platinum Blonde

#196 [url]

Apr 14 15 2:56 AM

Lovely. I do the monitor screen to the side thing too, though I think you are ahead of me with regard to back posture issues!
Is that a DG strat there?
If you were like me - even before the paint was dry I was prototyping with the gear etc to see how it all worked. The outside world did not exist.

Quote    Reply   

peteandrews

Gold Finger

#197 [url]

Apr 14 15 6:25 AM

Hey Barks...
The strat is some sort of fancy American made custom shop something or other... got a great deal on it from a client. I don't know (or care ) much about all my guitars.. as long as they intonate well and stay in tune i'm happy with them!
that monitor on the side thingy is an idea i stole from my friend Reid in nashville. 
i stumbled across that mobile table while searching online... it was a bit pricey, but worth every last penny. it's super. i think it may be one of my favorite things in the space as of now. It also changes easily to a standing height... which worked wonders while i was recording some upright bass over the weekend.  It's funny (or maybe a duh! head slapping moment.... but when you build a studio you come to realize things like a good desk, nice mic stands, sandbags, properly sealed joints, well trimmed windows, nicely seated doors, comfortable seating, etc... are all WAY more important than 6 different "flavors" of pre-amplifiers in a lunchbox. 
Here's the stand in action:

here's a link for the stand:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IARDXTU/ref=s9_simh_gw_p229_d7_i4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-7&pf_rd_r=0600MYGJW9E03YAHYXRP&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1970567742&pf_rd_i=desktop

-pete

Quote    Reply   

peteandrews

Gold Finger

#198 [url]

Apr 14 15 6:42 AM

i'll add one more "finished" shot of the iso-booth.

more "finishing" thoughts....

I was pretty nervous / skeptical about isolation results in building a room with 4 windows and a giant sliding glass door. How well could it really perform cutting that many holes in my wall-in-wall system?! would this negate investing in all that green glue, double  5/8" rock, double doors, extra sets of Soundproof Windows (these guys are the greatest btw), those super-fancy Kinetics ceiling hangers at $30+ a pop!? The answer turns out to be a RESOUNDING ( no pun intended) "NO". I have personally stood 3 feet outside the structure while full band practice is happening inside and it sounds no louder than a distant radio. That is to say, you could easily talk (at normal levels) over the top of the resulting escaping sound. There is no way in the world anyone in either of my neighboring houses could hear anything happening in this studio. During my friday night session, while i was pounding out drums trying to get my client's arrangement straight at 10:30PM, i could clearly see my neighbor in his bathrobe walking his dog in his adjacent backyard. The next day i ran into him...

Pete: "Hey Mel! Could you hear us at all last night when you were walking Shasha?"
Mel (The Worlds Greatest Neighbor): "Nope... I could see you guys talking. I could see you playing.. but i couldn't hear anything". 
Pete: "Thanks Mel."

Whew. 
So the takeway for building a studio:
Detail AT EVERY STEP matters. A Lot. Caulk it all. Seal it all. stuff backer rod everywhere it will fit. pay attention to your design and do your homework. 
it can work!!

more to come...

-pete

Quote    Reply   

peteandrews

Gold Finger

#199 [url]

Apr 15 15 6:18 AM

Rewind in time a bit and pick it up where i last left off.....

like i was saying... we saved a boatload of $$ doing stuff ourselves.
i am very fortunate to have a pretty talented and helpful family in terms of construction skills. Here's me and my wife caulking, painting, cleaning or something. i can't remember.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help