kb s1

Aqua Marine

#21 [url]

Apr 4 11 2:35 AM

Just noticed Terry's post regarding big desk moves in Glasgow.

Please, please get enough people; no more people than you need involved.
Make sure they are of sound mind and judgement (difficult in this game I know).

A friend/colleague of mine took up an offer of help on the cheap. Some incompetence was on display and a digit was sacrificed to the alter of Malcolm Toft.

Quote    Reply   

ccash

Platinum Blonde

#22 [url]

Apr 4 11 5:59 AM

"Pete,

When you finally get it in place, be sure the attached the legs first. You don't want it to go Cliff diving.

Bill"

Quote    Reply   

kb s1

Aqua Marine

#24 [url]

Apr 4 11 1:45 PM

Pete, your post was un-intentionally amusing. 

A finger 'tip' was lost.

3 people carrying a Toft MTA980 sans circuit boards/strips etc. Still a beast of a load.

Person in the middle decided, unannounced to let go of the desk to open a swing door in the corridor. 
Desk was then dropped and one person didn't fully clear in time.

I would like to point out that I was not present and did in no way engage in any finger pointing after....

Quote    Reply   

peteandrews

Gold Finger

#25 [url]

Apr 4 11 2:32 PM

keith - what was the size/weight of the desk you were dealing with? the current holders the desk i'm getting estimate the weight at 700 to 800 lbs.. although i'm not sure if that's loaded or not. I sure hope not! how many people did you have moving it?

thanks for the info!

-pete

Quote    Reply   

kb s1

Aqua Marine

#26 [url]

Apr 4 11 2:45 PM

I think that weight must be loaded? That is heavy.

I am trying to think back. Unloaded it was an effort for 3 to lift at all.
We had 4 decently strong guys in total move it from van to studio and it was hard work.

Something to remember is it will be a dynamic load. You are navigating stairs and corners. The balance will shift as you move and each person will need to carry an ever changing weight. 
You must be able to control that as any momentum added to that shift could overwhelm an individual.

The other thing to consider is that desk edges are sharp and uncomfortable. 

I am sure it will all go well. Just don't rush or do anything without thinking through thoroughly.
I would recommend a spare assist person who is spotting for corners, trip hazards etc and can jump in if the load starts to become to much for someone.

Quote    Reply   

dave harrison

Gold Finger

#27 [url]

Apr 4 11 3:20 PM

Wear those rubber weave gloves meant for lifting glass.  For maneuvering a desk in tight spaces, try to limit the weight to about 50 - 75Lbs per person... no I'm not kidding!

Quote    Reply   

cgc

Gold Finger

#28 [url]

Apr 4 11 11:43 PM

keith - what was the size/weight of the desk you were dealing with? the current holders the desk i'm getting estimate the weight at 700 to 800 lbs.. although i'm not sure if that's loaded or not. I sure hope not! how many people did you have moving it?
thanks for the info!
-pete

-peteandrews

I think it weighs about half that amount - 350 to 400.  I've moved several Neoteks around and my old 20x4 Sereis II was a little over half the size of yours and easily moved by two people.  The 36 input one at Soma required about four or five people each lifting about 80-100 pounds.  Four guys can't easily lift 800 lbs no matter burly they are.

Quote    Reply   

peteandrews

Gold Finger

#29 [url]

Apr 5 11 10:09 AM

cgc - 

when you mention 350 to 400... you're talking about unloaded ... correct?
in the other neotek moves you've done, were there other parts of the desks that were removed (apart from the modules and legs)? i wondering what else can easily come off (and then put back on)

thanks!

pete

Quote    Reply   

cgc

Gold Finger

#31 [url]

Apr 6 11 4:33 PM

cgc - 
when you mention 350 to 400... you're talking about unloaded ... correct?
in the other neotek moves you've done, were there other parts of the desks that were removed (apart from the modules and legs)? i wondering what else can easily come off (and then put back on)
thanks!
pete

-peteandrews

That is my estimate for the loaded console.  Honestly, the old Neotek Series consoles are a bit flimsy build wise - the larger ones tend to sag in the middle.  Maybe this one is near the end of the run for the Series and is beefier?  The Elites and Elans are sturdier for sure.

Quote    Reply   

peteandrews

Gold Finger

#33 [url]

Apr 6 11 5:32 PM

cgc - this one has a very substantial aluminum (i'm assuming) C-beam that runs the length positioned 3/4 of the way toward the back (under the bridge). Other than that thing and the giant wooden sides... doesn't seem to be too much else that would as super amounts of weight...

pete

Quote    Reply   

nobtwiddler

Gold Finger

#34 [url]

Apr 6 11 9:08 PM

Hey Pete;
              Sorry buddy, just now (after you said something) noticed the private message?
I apologize!
Never knew where to look for a message until now.

Anyhow good luck with the console...
Mike Stoica over at Sytek is your best resource for stuff about this desk.
It was custom built for us back in 84 or 85 I believe. Picked it up at the NY AES of that year.

I gotta tell ya, Neotek is a real sleeper console, a wonderful desk.

Cheers Paul www.millbrooksoundstudio.com 

A coupla, two, tree, credits...http://www.discogs.com/search/?q=paul+orofino&type=all

Quote    Reply   

nobtwiddler

Gold Finger

#36 [url]

Apr 7 11 4:59 PM

Pete:
        Not sure where it went when it left my joint, but I can assure you I had wiped it clean before I shipped it.
Wanted to be sure there was no evidence left~!

Haha

Cheers Paul www.millbrooksoundstudio.com 

A coupla, two, tree, credits...http://www.discogs.com/search/?q=paul+orofino&type=all

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help