d gauss

Platinum Blonde

#162 [url]

Sep 4 14 8:25 PM

peteandrews wrote:

One of the hundreds of jobs to come that we'll do ourselves to save a buck. 

child labor laws? we don't need no stinkin' child labor laws... dis is new jersey, forgettaboutit! :)

Quote    Reply   

peteandrews

Gold Finger

#165 [url]

Oct 28 14 3:05 PM

First of 3 lighting cloud frames in place to get a feel for what the centerline of the room will look like. Still need to fill it with mineral wool and put the fabric on it's face obviously, then weigh it so i can calculate the ceiling weight for the Kenetics ceiling hangers. Windows and doors came in this week... HOPEFULLY getting installed in the next day or 2. 

Quote    Reply   

mario i

Platinum Blonde

#166 [url]

Nov 5 14 1:12 PM

You must be so excited to get in there!!!!

I remember putting up my old console years back before the walls were even finished and the glass was in!!

M

Quote    Reply   

peteandrews

Gold Finger

#167 [url]

Nov 7 14 9:01 AM

Outer windows in and Iso booth in the corner being roughed out. The plan is to store drums / cases on top of the ios booth (which is 8' high - where that faint white line of caulk can be seen above the windows).

Quote    Reply   

peteandrews

Gold Finger

#170 [url]

Jan 5 15 10:05 AM

Suspended ceiling frame (on Kenetics hangers) installed. Next up is insulation / electrical in the ceiling.... then onto the inner walls. 

Quote    Reply   

scullyfan

Platinum Blonde

#171 [url]

Jan 5 15 7:37 PM

Well, I can certainly tell what part of the country where you're located in. Here in the arctic region of Wisconsin (I'm in the south central portion of the state and it's going to be 25 degrees BELOW zero tonight with the wind chill). My studio has a full three feet of insulation and a two-sheet thickness of drywall ABOVE the room treatment on the ceiling. Here I think R32-38 is actually a building code requirement. Works for me, I hate being cold.

BTW, the place looks GREAT!

Quote    Reply   

peteandrews

Gold Finger

#175 [url]

Jan 7 15 7:31 AM

oh duh. of course... sorry! i was thinking you were talking about the suspension system.
whatever they did is up to code (so far).

-pete

Quote    Reply   

peteandrews

Gold Finger

#176 [url]

Jan 26 15 3:04 PM

Framing and rough electrical inspections passed...
(inspector was quite impressed with the ceiling suspension system).
up next is outer leaf insulation.

Quote    Reply   

peteandrews

Gold Finger

#177 [url]

Feb 2 15 10:37 AM

insulation on the outter walls all done! 
cousin Shawn helping us out here:
we were doing spray insulation up into the ceiling... but the cost was super high and the guy couldn't guarantee that he would bugger up the suspension springs.  so.... i'm going with Roxul up there. The builder wanted the frame put in place first (when we were doing spray... so now that we changed our minds, we need to work around the hat channel and black-iron. Do yourself a favor if you're doing this kind of build... PUT THE INSULATION IN FIRST!
I read somewhere that your "in-progress" studio can easily gather clutter. It's getting bad in here:
more to come... this week is all ceiling insulation. next week, possibly ceiling sheetrock!

pete

Quote    Reply   

youngwhisk

Silverado

#178 [url]

Feb 2 15 10:45 PM

I don't know where you live.

If you live where it gets cold, like where I live, you would be required to have ventilation above your ceiling insulation and probably a ridge vent to avoid an ice build up on your roof. Also a vapour barrier seems like it would be very difficult to install now.

I look forward to your updates. This is very interesting. If possible could you get a few pictures of the ceiling panels being installed?

Jon Moen

Quote    Reply   

peteandrews

Gold Finger

#179 [url]

Feb 2 15 11:23 PM

Hey Jon - 
I'm on the Jersey shore... not too far from NYC (as the crow flies).. so it do get cold here (like it is right now actually). 
my builder knows the room is designed to have an unvented vaulted ceiling ... and he certainly knows his stuff (having built in this area for YEARS). So i'm hoping he's stearing me right at each step. (He's letting me do certain stages of the build to save some $$ ).  I'll double check with him on the vapour barrier though... thanks for the reminder.  

-pete

Quote    Reply   

dave harrison

Gold Finger

#180 [url]

Feb 3 15 1:10 AM

The spray foam would have eliminated the need for the vapour barrier and created a full seal... does your builder know that you have substituted Roxul, and are installing it directly against the sheeting?

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help