bill mueller

Aqua Marine

#41 [url]

Apr 21 11 8:09 PM

What a delight.

Thank you David!

Comment. I'm sure many of us have seen things blow up on an important session. Only with nerves of steel, consummate professionalism and a healthy dose of good luck did that group get through the sessions, considering the technical challenge of the bad cable. Lesser men would have folded like a house of cards.

Bill

Quote    Reply   

johnwhynot

Aqua Marine

#42 [url]

Apr 21 11 8:21 PM

As far as explosions with a room full of orchestra - I've been there!

"Start with a 10!!"  the phrase no mixer wants to hear.

Frances wasn't there - but Mike Myers was (I believe).

It was a defective 480L - a rental.  And I found it during that 10.

You have to be cool in that circumstance.

Quote    Reply   

LeforaGuest

New Forum Friend

#43 [url]

Apr 21 11 8:21 PM

I love the note at the end of the list, as it relates to the "tracking live" thread....

"Headphones for all please"

They seemed to manage alright! 

Quote    Reply   

thetasmanian

Silverado

#44 [url]

Apr 21 11 9:26 PM

What a great read - it will be so nice to listen back to all of these recordings now after such great insights.

The 44's each on brass - no wonder I have been obsessed for decades with the sound of the brass from some of these recordings.

As much as I love 451's,  I'm surprised at how often they were used on strings.
Thank you for a wonderful insight

Chris Townend

Chris has left this forum...

Quote    Reply   

jimkissling

Gold Finger

#46 [url]

Apr 22 11 12:02 AM

David, thank you so much for the story and the session notes!

Do you (or anyone else) know what the "Mini-Mic" was that was used on the acoustic bass?

Jim Kissling

Quote    Reply   

LeforaGuest

New Forum Friend

#52 [url]

Apr 22 11 10:30 AM

No idea. I have only owned Es, and I have used others from different eras that didn't do what they did, that's all. I rarely look at the guts of mic. I have no business in there.

My favorite mic. It was my desert island choice.. not sure what I would do with a mic on an island, but that wasn't part of that question.

BTW, how is Japan, and you?

Quote    Reply   

kenfavata

Gold Finger

#53 [url]

Apr 22 11 3:22 PM

The closest I ever came to Frank was in smoking a specially hand rolled cigar that was sold by his estate.  A cousin of mine bought a box full of them.  I drank wiskey and smoked that sucker- it seemed appropriate.

Anyone familiar with the 1965 release "Frank Sinatra a man and his Music"  ?
In between tracks Frank delivers a somewhat sentimental spoken narrative about his career and the biz. 
He is so very sensitive and open in this. 
Some of it might be considered corny by some.
I pulled two quotes that helped me to realize how much Frank was a true "recording artist". 
THAT was his focus.  THAT was his chosen medium

"I respect every record I make as if its the last song I'lll ever sing."

He also gave praise to those amazing talents around him.  Writers, arrangers and others.

"I learned everything from TD.  I learned all my phrasing from him. 
I'm the only singer that took lessons from a trombone"

Quote    Reply   

dougrogers

Silverado

#55 [url]

Apr 23 11 11:39 AM

I have to say David Kulka has been a great source of history for Western Recorders (now EastWest Studios). David even gave me copies of the monthly studio newsletter, which demonstrated how ahead of the game Bill Putnam and his team were, time and time again.

If you ever need any delicate audio equipment serviced, David's company can be totally trusted to get it right, we know from personal experience - http://www.studioelectronics.biz/

Thanks, David!

Cheers,

- DR

Quote    Reply   

bill mueller

Aqua Marine

#56 [url]

Apr 23 11 3:01 PM

Hello all,

Don Cuminale, a FB friend of mine and Technical Director at Masterdisk has asked me to post the following experiences he had with the Chairman at Mediasound in the 70's.

Enjoy!

Bill

Bill,

The Sinatra sessions at Mediasound occurred in the late '70s. (See media sound studios group on Facebook. Wade through the pics & eventually find photos of the chairman in control room A for playback and critique.

Both Neve 8060a consoles went in 1977. Also pictured are Charlie Colello producer, Jimmie Biondollilo arranger, the late Joe Jorgenson engineer and Ramona Jan assistant).

The studio setup was full orchestra backed to cr window, frank facing them with line of sight into cr and with conductor (probably Jimmie B.)

The cue speakers I put together and setup, at client request, were Colbert bookshelf w/Philips full range whizzer cone drivers fed by crown DC300 cue amp.

I mounted the speakers on mic stands w/flanges, set them at ear level about 4ft apart and 3ft in front of frank. Speakers wired out of phase w/stereo level control for the artist...mic was probably a Neumann 87 set to cardiod.

The orchestra and conductor wore 'phones.

I suspect frank's cue mix was his vocal only: him being in the room and his chop & ears he could hear all the pieces. Ramona jan may have more info about the cue mix.

I suspect Frank's cue mix was his vocal only.

Everything went flawlessly, the Chairman and everyone else were very happy. We celebrated and Sinatra was quite gracious providing many photo ops. Jimmie B. Put together a collage of pics...wish i had a copy.

Hope this is helpful.

Don

Quote    Reply   

bob olhsson

Aqua Marine

#58 [url]

Apr 23 11 4:53 PM

That Mediasound Studios face book page is a killer! It is scary to realize how young we all were back then. (Oops! I forgot, we're supposed to tell folks you need 20+ years of experience in order to make a decent sounding record...)

I wonder if those are the Frank Sinatra sessions that Bob Babbitt told me he had to turn down because he was right in the middle of recording a Ted Nugent album in Toronto?

www.audiomastery.com Bob's room 615 562-4346 georgetownmasters.com Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233 www.thewombforums.com

Quote    Reply   

david kulka

Tin Man

#59 [url]

Apr 23 11 7:28 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses. The moment I saw this thread title, I knew that I HAD to reply.

Jim, I'm not mic expert, but I think the clip on mics were small silver lavaliere types, maybe made by Sony? Does that sound right?

Doug, your kind words are much appreciated.

I know I'm repeating myself but looking back, I'm still in disbelief that I was lucky enough to be in on those amazing sessions. I saw Frank Sinatra at the Universal Amphitheater later that year and of course he was terrific, but nothing could match the experience of seeing Studio 1 go from an empty space, to a room packed with some of the most talented musicians in the world, and then watching all those amazing people, with Mr. Sinatra at the helm, record those timeless songs.

Quote    Reply   

LeforaGuest

New Forum Friend

#60 [url]

Apr 23 11 8:01 PM

Thank you for sharing. I keep imagining what it's like to stare at his perfect shoes. That's a scene, right there.

It's hard to quantify the magic of communication that underlies the world wide web, but it sure is surreal. ;)

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help