soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#163 [url]

Dec 11 13 1:18 AM

I have nothing meaningful to add-- just that I'm listening to "Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out To Dry" right now, and it's such a marvelous record on all fronts. Amazing delivery, phrasing, tone, arrangement, orchestration, playing (especially the intro guitar... good lord, what a beautifully delivered accompaniment), recording (I defy anyone to present me a better-sounding recording!) and of course an amazing song. They hit this one right in the numbers.

Thanks everyone for the stories.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

compasspnt

Diamond Forever

#164 [url]

Dec 11 13 5:04 PM

Yep, that recording is just absolutely amazing. The best of everything, together right in one studio at one time.

Next listen about 300 times in a row to "I've Got You Under My Skin," one of the top 5 single recordings ever made.

Then, if you can take it, listen over and over and over to the entire "In The Wee Small Hours Of The Morning" album.

And try not to cry.

Quote    Reply   

spiritwalker

Aqua Marine

#165 [url]

Dec 11 13 5:15 PM

In the wee small hours of the morning album is on my list of must listen to albums at lest once a year. Brilliant in so many aspects.

OK it's cold here

Quote    Reply   

compasspnt

Diamond Forever

#168 [url]

Dec 12 13 12:10 AM

The first group of songs recorded at one specific time and intended to be issued together as a "concept," or one "general mood,"wherein all of the songs were part of a similar grouping, rather than just recording 'whatever' songs or singles and issuing them one or two at a time, then throwing them together later to make a so-called "album.".

Quote    Reply   

kats

Platinum Blonde

#169 [url]

Feb 10 14 9:03 AM

Thanks Gary Boatner!

I thought the band knocked it outta the park with "Street Of Dreams" on the Trilogy record. It must have been a fun day!

Quote    Reply   

spiritwalker

Aqua Marine

#171 [url]

Mar 6 14 1:10 PM

Does anyone have any info on which songs were recorded on which days? You can certainly hear differences in the sound of his voice on some tunes.

Were any of the tunes from recording sessions for another album?

Just curious.

This from the internet
The album was recorded in five sessions at KHJ Studios, Hollywood. These sessions took place on February 8, 16 & 17, and April 1 & 4, and would start at 8:00PM, continuing to past midnight.

OK it's cold here

Quote    Reply   

compasspnt

Diamond Forever

#172 [url]

Mar 6 14 2:27 PM

What songs exactly? I can likely find where and when.

The very best started in April of 1953, when Nelson Riddle began arranging (nothing against Alex S or any others, esp B. May), at KHJ on Melrose (the "then Capitol" studios), and especially when he sang on a U47. Of course Frank sounded great on any microphone, C12, several others, but something magic about the combination of 47, Nelson, KHJ, the very best players and songs...and of course, Frank at his peak.

Last Edited By: compasspnt Mar 6 14 2:38 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

johnwhynot

Aqua Marine

#173 [url]

Mar 6 14 3:50 PM

Is John Palladino still with us?

I read, I think in that great book about the sessions, that when they started using the U47 they put a low pass at 8k - the top end being a problem for disk cutting, I assume.

--

John Whynot

Quote    Reply   

spiritwalker

Aqua Marine

#174 [url]

Mar 6 14 5:12 PM

Where I really noticed it is on Glad to be Happy. It is quite a bit brighter than the vocal on Mood Indigo and In the Wee Small Hours. quite a difference to my ears, both nice.

John are you saying they used a different mic for parts of the session?

OK it's cold here

Quote    Reply   

johnwhynot

Aqua Marine

#175 [url]

Mar 6 14 6:09 PM

No, I'm not saying that. I think Mr. Palladino might know. He'd be in his mid-90s by now.

I hear some major differences depending on which generation master we are listening to. I don't have it handy so I can't really comment on what you're hearing, Norm.

I just find it interesting that the sweet spot on those vocals might have been on the back end of a low-pass filter.

--

John Whynot

Quote    Reply   

spiritwalker

Aqua Marine

#176 [url]

Mar 6 14 6:46 PM

I'm not sure which version of the masters they used to do the CD copy that I have. Maybe that's what I'm hearing, a safety master and master combined to create the master for the CD? Nah...that doesn't happen does it?

I would love to hear a copy of this on vinyl though a great system. I assume it would be a similar response to the first time I saw Monet's paintings.

OK it's cold here

Quote    Reply   

johnwhynot

Aqua Marine

#177 [url]

Mar 6 14 7:16 PM

I've not been terribly thrilled with the various remasters from Capitol - haven't heard them all, but when CBS did a miniseries in 1992, a bunch of remasters came out that blew away all the others I've heard - unfortunately it's a double-CD compilation rather than the actual albums… but the sound of those remasters is fabutastic.

--

John Whynot

Quote    Reply   

spiritwalker

Aqua Marine

#179 [url]

Mar 7 14 12:49 AM

Well maybe that explains why Mood Indigo and In the Wee Small Hours sound similar. The same U47 was left up for the next days session?
Maybe a different U47 on Feb 8?

It's interesting no?

OK it's cold here

Quote    Reply   

spiritwalker

Aqua Marine

#180 [url]

Mar 7 14 10:46 AM

Terry could you point me to the info on which songs where recorded on which day? Or could you post any other details you have?

Thanks

Norm

OK it's cold here

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help