jimlongo

Gold Finger

#21 [url]

May 20 11 2:24 PM

They just introduced Bixi Bike rentals in Toronto with an initial 1000 bike fleet.  I'd like to use it just to support the notion, but I really don't need it.  

Montreal where it started now has 5000, there's 6000 in London.  Toronto and Washington DC have started out with 1000.  Also Washington State U and Melbourne.

Initially Toronto is pretty much limited to downtown. $95 for the year gets you as many 30 minute rides as you want.  There's also limited fees $40/month, $12/72 hours, $5/day.  

The mayor and his "the war on cars is over" friends have even started talking about separated bike lanes downtown. I'm sceptical, what follows that?  All other roads are off limits, or like rural areas it just gives motorists carte blanche on riders in any non-protected area.

rhythm division - rdiv.com

Quote    Reply   

ssltech

Aqua Marine

#22 [url]

May 22 11 12:18 PM

I just uploaded this morning's ride: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/35059232

At 18 miles in, I saw my wife and son's bikes in the rack outside the restaurants (Panera, peach valley café, etc) so I paused for brunch (veg. omelet, fresh fruit, coffee) then carried on. I haven't figured out why it didn't log any of the southern end of the cross-seminole leg (just after 23 miles... there's about 8 miles missing) -The ride total was 45.5 miles, total time (not including stop for brunch) 2 hours 44 min 33 sec, average speed 16.5 MPH, peak speed 27.0MPH, average cadence 74, Temperature... 91°F (33°C)

Weighed in after the ride 65lbs down from my peak... -BONUS! -That means I'm definitely going to have a celebratory beer with the band tonight; -there's three other keen road cyclists in the band.

-Keith Andrews -If I can't fix it, I can fix it so [i]NOBODY[/i] can fix it!

Quote    Reply   

kb s1

Aqua Marine

#23 [url]

May 22 11 1:01 PM

I had an 11 mile ride yesterday to catch the ferry home. 
It was one of the toughest pedals I have ever done.

Not only was the rain pouring down but there was an incredible wind blowing. Of course being a one way cycle it was always in my face.

In the 11 miles I was able to stop pedalling only once for approx' 3s on a sheltered hill. I had to get out the saddle to pedal DOWN a hill once at a measly 12mph.

I managed to maintain an average of 16mph which I think proves I am getting fitter finally.

What was worse was the 30min wait for the ferry in the pouring gale whilst soaked, at the exposed pier.

Quote    Reply   

ssltech

Aqua Marine

#24 [url]

May 22 11 1:05 PM

Ha! Mine was uphill into the wind... BOTH WAYS!

Quote    Reply   

kb s1

Aqua Marine

#25 [url]

May 22 11 1:40 PM

Ha! Mine was uphill into the wind... BOTH WAYS! [image]

-ssltech

That Escher bloke has been responsible for a few of my routes i think.

Quote    Reply   

kb s1

Aqua Marine

#27 [url]

May 22 11 3:41 PM

Loving that map my ride app.

I just did a quick check on Google maps of my beach trip. 
The toughest section was a 460ft climb in 1.2 miles.

How these proper guys do mountains in beyond me.

Quote    Reply   

ssltech

Aqua Marine

#29 [url]

May 23 11 1:15 PM

This weekend, I gave my #1 road bike a THOROUGH cleaning. Once that was done, I degreased the chain (I have the Park Tool mechanized thingy) and dried it off,then gave the bottom bracket and rear sprocket cassette set some love with jumbo pipe-cleaners and all-in-one spray.  Then the derailleurs front & rear came in for some serious pipe-cleaner action, along with every link of the chain, inspecting as I went.

Finally the deralleur pivot points etc. were lubed with dry lubricant, and the drive chain with wax-ceramic lubricant...

I really do find this sort of detailed cleaning very therapeutic. -It really was a GREAT way to spend an hour, or however long it took... I really have no idea. (It's nice to devote yourself so completely to a task that you lose track of time.)

Looked GORGEOUS when it was finished... not that anyone other than a real bike-nut would notice. Nowadays every time I see a bike with dull-brown looking chain links, I absolutely CRINGE!

Quote    Reply   

steve hudson

Silverado

#30 [url]

May 23 11 7:36 PM

Nice thread, guys. I've been a serious road cyclist for 20 years, still clocking 100+ miles a week at age 55. Austin is a cycling Mecca and we have some beautiful roads in Central Texas. The main complaint I have is that there are no long, high climbs (though many of the most challenging rides include up to a mile at 12-15% grade with ramps up to 20%). I still have my titanium Serotta with Dura Ace that I raced on up until ten years ago and last year bought a Trek Madone 5.9 SL, a super-light, super fast carbon fiber rocket. There's a closed loop, 3.1 mile paved bikeway through a pretty Hill Country setting just a few minutes from my house (and across the street from the National Wildflower Research Center) and I can do laps without worrying about traffic.

My favorite cycling experience was riding in Lance Armstrong's charity ride in 2006. About three miles from the end of a 60-mile ride I spotted Lance with a group of riders about a quarter mile ahead of me and I thought it would be cool to ride to the finish with Lance's group. I hauled ass to catch them and caught them at a stoplight, where a local sheriff's deputy was directing traffic and had stopped the cyclists so that a dump truck could turn left. The moment I came up on Lance's back wheel, he turned to me and said, "Let's run it!" I did what The Boss said and the two of us sprinted past the deputy and almost got taken out by the dump truck. So there I was, just me and Lance, nobody within several hundred yards in either direction. We chatted for a couple minutes, then he said, "Here comes my riding partner." Sheryl Crow rode up between us, looking like death. She must have busted her ass trying to keep up with Lance over those sixty miles, and I felt bad after encouraging her with a cheerful, "Kick it, girl!" Lance said his goodbyes to me, put his hand on the small of her back, and towed her in for the last couple miles. Most romantic thing I've ever seen, and I was truly sad when they broke up.

My second favorite cycling experience was riding with Eddy Merckx and Miguel Indurain the day before Lance's charity ride in 2000. I rode Eddy's wheel for five miles as the 55-year-old icon spun at about a 120 cadence. Notwithstanding that he was about 50 lbs overweight (from a stomach ailment that he has since recovered from), he kicked my skinny ass.

Here's a shot of me and Big Mig after our ride:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=427430768929&set=a.432252763929.214602.599573929&type=1&theater

Quote    Reply   

ssltech

Aqua Marine

#32 [url]

May 24 11 6:03 AM

WOW steve, that's completely STUNNING!  About the only thing that I can claim is that I have the same model bike (the 5.9SL) as someone who rode with Big Mig, Eddy and Lance!

Post a pic of your bike, if you can; -I'd love to see it.

Keith

Quote    Reply   

leonardo

Platinum Blonde

#34 [url]

May 24 11 7:50 AM

They just introduced Bixi Bike rentals in Toronto with an initial 1000 bike fleet.  I'd like to use it just to support the notion, but I really don't need it.  Montreal where it started now has 5000, there's 6000 in London.  Toronto and Washington DC have started out with 1000.  Also Washington State U and Melbourne.Initially Toronto is pretty much limited to downtown. $95 for the year gets you as many 30 minute rides as you want.  There's also limited fees $40/month, $12/72 hours, $5/day.  The mayor and his "the war on cars is over" friends have even started talking about separated bike lanes downtown. I'm sceptical, what follows that?  All other roads are off limits, or like rural areas it just gives motorists carte blanche on riders in any non-protected area.

-jimlongo

Riding a bike in downtown Toronto is akin to medieval warfare.
Rob Fords publicly stated views have already made drivers noticeably more aggressive;--like declaring open hunting season on us.
Talk of separate lanes is just that and will never happen;--in fact the new Jarvis lanes are in his sights as he wants them removed so drivers can get from Bloor to Front in one and a half minutes less time.
(according to a study he quotes????)

I haven't owned a car in 10 years and the bike is my main way around town.
I biked to studio using the Lakeshore path from Bathurst to Mimico at least 4 days out of the week.
Even in winter. I miss that ride now.
Currently I'm cleaning up a rather minty mid 70's Blue Puegeot Ten Speed my dad salvaged from a curb side giveaway.... all orig parts and retro vibey.
Great thread.

Quote    Reply   

wireline

Aqua Marine

#35 [url]

May 24 11 8:03 AM

Y'all should try the Cactus and Crude Bike Rally sometime, here in West Texas.  Starts in Midland, runs to Big Spring, then Snyder, and back...Almost flat from here to Big Spring, but there are hills that run for 4-5 miles up at a 10% grade en route to Snyer...As usual, hardly any turns.

But!  You are battling 30-45 MPH winds along the entire route...sometimes head winds, sometimes tail winds, usually crosswinds.

My legs ache just entering this post

Ken Morgan

Please...Give It A Rest

Quote    Reply   

steve hudson

Silverado

#40 [url]

May 24 11 10:36 AM

I've ridden with Robin (together with Lance) three times, and have almost fallen off my bike laughing every time. He's a great guy. On the day the pic was taken, my late wife couldn't make it so I asked Robin to talk with her on my cell phone. Imagine her surprise when Robin Williams called saying, "Mrs. Hudson, I just finished riding with your husband and he looks awful sexy in those tight shorts." Another time I commented to him about how hot it was and that I could sure use a cold one after the ride. He started riffing on alcoholic beverages, something about, "Let's get a bottle of Night Train or Chateau de Doodahday!"

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help