ssltech

Aqua Marine

#61 [url]

May 27 11 5:47 PM

I'm hitting it tomorrow morning, weather permitting; -Seminole Cyclists Group ride.

I've never done a group ride before... (I know... I'm a total noob!) -Will have to pay attention to the etiquette.

-Keith Andrews -If I can't fix it, I can fix it so [i]NOBODY[/i] can fix it!

Quote    Reply   

steve hudson

Silverado

#62 [url]

May 27 11 7:49 PM

Schedule and brutally hot weather have kept me off the bike for a week so I will enjoy a couple hours in the saddle tomorrow morning to catch up.

Quote    Reply   

ssltech

Aqua Marine

#63 [url]

May 27 11 7:53 PM

HEAVY thunderstorm right now (8:45PM) which won't have much chance to dry off before the ride tomorrow, so I know that all that bike cleaning will have to be done all over again once the ride is over...

Oh well.

Quote    Reply   

ssltech

Aqua Marine

#64 [url]

May 29 11 5:04 PM

Well... that was interesting.  They had two experienced groups (A+B) and a beginner's 'C' group which was much slower. I went with the 'C' because of my lack of experience riding in a group.

Everything went pretty well, the ride leader coached everyone through single and double pace-lines, coming off the left and the right,by arrangement. It was great to go through the process,several times.  -Lots of good experiences, but I had to stop for a flat rear tire... TWICE.

The first time I heard a "pop-swish-swish-swish-swish" and knew immediately, so I called a puncture, and the ride leader asked how many people had NEVER changed a tube or fixed a flat. There were a half dozen or more hands that went up, so he changed the flat while explaining the process to everyone. -Of course it was slower, but we were in no rush.

The pressure wasn't all the way up in the rear tire I knew, but we had no gauge, so I didn't want to over-fill it. However, I couldn't understand why it was SO DAMN HARD to pedal afterwards... it was a struggle whereas up til then I'd been breezing it. -The wheel wasn't in straight, so the brake was rubbing. -I discovered this after the tube started to deflate and I had to stop and change it... AGAIN.

One apparently fairly experienced rider stayed back to make sure I was okay, and the rest of the group kept heading home. -When I got the second tube gassed up and this time had the wheel spinning freely, I was AMAZED at how it was suddenly so much easier to speed up.... -so much so that the other rider called me to say that he couldn't keep up and was suddely pretty worn out... -this was after about 38 miles... surprised the heck out of me; -I was good to go, and still had a 4-mile ride home after the end of the group run.

So the weekend ended up as an 87-mile weekend, with about 40 miles of that being group mileage, and the rest solo... -I DEFINITELY get the 'group ride' thing... It's much easier in terms of distance, and it's a little more like 'interval training' in terms of being comparatively relaxed for a while, but with short bursts of harder 'push' at regular intervals...

The other thing which I found fairly distinctive -which I hadn't really thought about- is the sound of eighty shoes clicking in all at once as everybody moves off... Of course it happens all around you, and it's really quite a 'here we go' moment.

I'll definitely be doing it again; possibly next week, when they'll be running an 'A', a 'B' and a 'B-nice' group. -I'll try the 'B-nice' as a nice transition... I think that I should be able to keep up without disgracing myself, and I'll see how that goes.

Today seemed to be snake day... I scared a black racer (about 4 feet) and came across a 5-footer right after it had been run over by a car... -ugh!

Now to patch those tubes!

Quote    Reply   

steve hudson

Silverado

#65 [url]

May 30 11 8:13 AM

I hate flats so much that I put all-terrain, Kevlar jacketed tires on both my bikes and I always top off the pressure to avoid pinch flats.

Snakes. They're plentiful in the Hill Country, so much so that there's a humorous "traffic" sign at the Austin Veloway that says, "CAUTION: SNAKE CROSSING", though I've never seen a snake cross there, only roadrunners. One afternoon last summer I was cruising along and saw a cyclist up ahead who'd pulled off the Veloway and was bent over looking at something. As I passed him I saw he was poking a baby rattler with a stick. An Aggie, perhaps? (the cyclist, not the snake). And many years ago, I was barreling down a hill between Kyle and Driftwood when a small rattler slithered into my path. Since bunny hopping at 40 mph wasn't a skill I'd practiced, I ran right over it and didn't bother to stop and see if it was OK.

Quote    Reply   

ssltech

Aqua Marine

#66 [url]

May 30 11 7:30 PM

Sounds like great scenery.

Well today I went out with the family on the old Trek hybrid/commuter bike. Ate lunch at the peach valley cafe (right by the Trek dealer!) and decided to drive back down to Tampa with my son, and go and have a look at that little 24" Trek road bike down there.

Ended up buying it.

The little tyke is utterly thrilled with it, and on the long & frankly boring drive home did 5 days worth of homework, pausing occasionally to look up at the bike on the roof rack (there's dual sunroofs in the car, so he has his own in the back) and then when we got home we both went out for a ride while he started to get used to his new bike.

To ice the cake, we stopped for late lunch on the drive back home, and before we made it from the parking lot to the restaurant door, a fellow with three kids in tow stopped us and asked me if it was a kid's bike, how much it was, and even was it a special build (!!) -It absolutely made my son's day.

Quote    Reply   

kb s1

Aqua Marine

#68 [url]

May 31 11 6:30 AM

The group cycling looks fun.
Doesn't happen so much around here but I did see a lot of it in Belgium over the weekend.

Some of the groups looked really serious, hauling big speed up long hills.

Quote    Reply   

ssltech

Aqua Marine

#69 [url]

May 31 11 6:53 AM

..That's Eddy Merckx country, after all!

I love the Ardennes. Just Achingly beautiful forests and sweeping hills, with -in my recollection- notably well-maintained roads. (-although that last part may have changed of course, though I sincerely hope not!)

Quote    Reply   

steve hudson

Silverado

#71 [url]

Jun 2 11 11:14 AM

I just missed running over a large snake while doing laps at the Veloway this morning, according to a cyclist who was behind me. I never saw him.

Quote    Reply   

pcavins

Gold Finger

#72 [url]

Jun 2 11 5:27 PM

I've got nothing against cycling. My brother is way into it and has the shirts and an uber expensive custom bike. 

However, in my experience at least 7 out of 10 bikers on the road are jerks. Some bikers think that because they are on a bike, they are to be congratulated and therefore don't have to follow the rules of the road. 

A girl this morning came at me going the wrong way around the corner on a one way street in a compact, hilly neighborhood. I come to a quick stop, and she just flashes a crappy attitude. She's going to get bumped someday, but she'll still probably have the 'tude. 

PC

Paul Cavins

Quote    Reply   

ssltech

Aqua Marine

#73 [url]

Jun 4 11 1:04 PM

It's true, there are a good share of self-righteous jerks on two wheels... I make an effort not to be one.

I've been caretaking my 7-yr. old son for most of the day, so no chance of a group ride this morning.  -Once everything (homework, chores etc) was done, I took him out for his first good ride on his new machine:

We did 18.5 miles, with only some water stops. -He did quite well for a first time out, and kept a good 12-15MPH range... -I was pretty impressed!

He was absolutely delighted when we came across another rider with a 'proper' bike with his IDENTICAL paint scheme, so we had to take another photo:

I've just noticed that you can see my new LFC jersey in the reflection... -First time out. -Nobody round these parts has a clue what it signifies, of course!

Quote    Reply   

kb s1

Aqua Marine

#75 [url]

Jun 4 11 2:22 PM

I don't think it would be sensible for me to wear team colours on the bike.

LFC or Everton I could get away with. Maybe even Tottenham.

Tomorrow is definitely a cycle day.

Quote    Reply   

ssltech

Aqua Marine

#76 [url]

Jun 4 11 7:58 PM

Oh hell... If I rode that through Manchester, I'd be on a skewer and roasting above a lively fire before I'd even made a half mile. -It'd probably be about as sensible as riding through Govan wearing a Rangers shirt...

Tomorrow I'm heading out for fifty.

Quote    Reply   

ssltech

Aqua Marine

#78 [url]

Jun 6 11 9:39 AM

It turns out that I'm apparently under-estimating people's knowledge...

A fella tagged along behind me for about ten miles this Sunday, and when we came to a stop at a traffic intersection he made the comment that I would possibly have been delighted about the outcome of the Champion's League Final (Manchester United being thumped by Barcelona the previous weekend). -It seems that he was a big soccer fan, and keen on Liverpool from the '70's and '80's.

My son wants to build up some more miles/distance... but we have another Triathlon coming up in Gainesville the weekend after next, so I'd really like to drill him on some shorter, sustained 'bursts' so he can punch out some good triathlon distances, since that's only 2-4 miles for 7-year olds.

Certainly, I'm delighted that he's really enjoying it. -Once the triathlon season is over, I'll definitely try and help him build up some sustained distance... As for myself, I'm probably sticking around fifty for a while, before I bump it up a little. -Don't want to 'push' myself too hard or do any physical damage.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help