kb s1

Aqua Marine

#82 [url]

Jun 8 11 10:20 AM

I have felt the future. It is carbon fibre.

Went out for a 22 mile cycle with my Dad today and for some (out of character) reason he let me take his nice CF bike. 
What a difference. Hills were almost fun.

I need one for myself now.

Quote    Reply   

ssltech

Aqua Marine

#83 [url]

Jun 8 11 11:27 AM

I went STRAIGHT from my 1987 steel Sirrus to the carbon-fibre. The contrast was astonishing.

When up out of the saddle, the bike is so physically 'decoupled' from your body that the weight/mass difference is at it's most noticeable -or so I found, at least.

Under those conditions, 'laying into it' made the bike dart forward from under me so noticeably differently, that I felt it 'propelled' in an entirely different manner in terms of how the 'motion' was experienced.

It was such a thrill that I HAD to get one.

However...

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater; I still enjoy taking the Sirrus out once in a while... I found that I ride it rather differently, and it exercises different parts.  -I'm beginning to se what people mean about "the feel of steel".

But yes... a carbon frame is an absolute revelation!

I looked into another local bike club that rides close to my work in the evenings, and looked at their paths and times... They're claiming ~30MPH average ride speeds... SCREW THAT!!!  I'm sorry... I'd be 'dropped' within a hundred yards!

-Keith Andrews -If I can't fix it, I can fix it so [i]NOBODY[/i] can fix it!

Quote    Reply   

jimlongo

Gold Finger

#84 [url]

Jun 10 11 1:58 PM

However, in my experience at least 7 out of 10 bikers on the road are jerks. Some bikers think that because they are on a bike, they are to be congratulated and therefore don't have to follow the rules of the road. 

-pcavins

I agree that some riders give the whole community a bad name.  But for the most part I think a lot of them are inexperienced and give up most of their bad riding habits as they start to realize what's at stake.

I will admit to coasting cautiously through residential 4-way stops.  If there's no traffic or pedestrians I'm not going to lose my momentum.  I might go through a redlight after stopping and observing no traffic.  

But check out this video, if these aren't kamikaze bike couriers I don't know what to say . . . 
http://player.vimeo.com/video/24572222

rhythm division - rdiv.com

Quote    Reply   

arlenthompson

Silverado

#85 [url]

Jun 10 11 2:35 PM

I agree that some riders give the whole community a bad name.  But for the most part I think a lot of them are inexperienced and give up most of their bad riding habits as they start to realize what's at stake.
I will admit to coasting cautiously through residential 4-way stops.  If there's no traffic or pedestrians I'm not going to lose my momentum.  I might go through a redlight after stopping and observing no traffic.  
But check out this video, if these aren't kamikaze bike couriers I don't know what to say . . . 
[url]

-jimlongo

I love this classic Kids in the Hall sketch about bike couriers. With a young Don McKellar, no less...

Quote    Reply   

kb s1

Aqua Marine

#86 [url]

Jun 10 11 2:36 PM

Bike couriers are to cyclists what van/taxi drivers are to normal drivers.

Taxis and vans hurt a lot more though.

Just found out an old Uni pal is into cycling. Could be a good reason to hook up again.

Quote    Reply   

ssltech

Aqua Marine

#87 [url]

Jun 20 11 9:27 AM

I never got to get on the bike even once this weekend... Overall, it was a trying time all round (see the 'I lost my kitty tonight' thread), but we took our son up to Gainesville for his first triathlon with the new bike. -He had a poor swim for some reason (being passed by a couple of kids), and struggled with the running... -But the biking made up for EVERYTHING.  He ended up in first place for his age group.

-The trophy which they gave him is practically as tall as he is!

We're DEFINITELY going to do some more of this. -however, he'd probably benefit from a running coach... One of our neighbors is an enthusiastic runner, and has offered to do that, but he's not a cyclist, and he's asked me about possibly helping his son with cycling.  -Hey, before you know it, we'll ALL be much healthier!

Quote    Reply   

ssltech

Aqua Marine

#93 [url]

Jun 30 11 2:27 PM

It occurs to me that a little 'customization' might be in order!

Quote    Reply   

kb s1

Aqua Marine

#95 [url]

Jul 1 11 3:59 AM

Lovely looking bikes Mario.

There is a great feature on Cervelo's new bike here

Going to tackle the hills of Perthshire again next weekend, the same route that prompted this whole thread. The weather here and some awkward timing of events have stalled a lot of training plans but I am in much better shape than that first time.

Quote    Reply   

ssltech

Aqua Marine

#96 [url]

Jul 3 11 6:58 PM

Went out for a group 'B' ride yesterday; -my first ever.

I found that it was actually rather LESS enervating than the 'C' group, because there was almost NO need for constant speed correction. -I finished the 35-mile route feeling that I could fairly easily do it all over again. There was NO fatigue whatsoever, and the average speed (20MPH) was -of course- faster thatn I typically manage riding solo.

I think that I'll do that for a couple more weeks of the same route before I consider some longer group ride options. -I don't wish to try 'A' just yet, but I'll definitely try some longer 'B' rides first.

Maybe tomorrow (4th of July) I'll try another ride: -This weekend was a 500 mile drive staying away from home, so no ride today (Sunday).

How was Perthshire, Keith? -Weather any better for you?

Quote    Reply   

kb s1

Aqua Marine

#97 [url]

Jul 4 11 3:39 AM

Perthshire next week. 
This weekend was all about GF's 30th/cousins wedding/friend's stag do. Probably set my cycling back 6 months!

Weather is fantastic here just now. 
Quiet week so going to try and get out a couple of times this week.

Made the mistake of looking at new bikes on Sunday.

Quote    Reply   

mario i

Platinum Blonde

#99 [url]

Jul 5 11 9:48 AM

I still have the original Carbon Fibre TVT from '95 - the same frame Lemond, Indurain, Delgado et all used.

I was one of the few guys racing with carbon, with Zipp wheels (which I'm still using!)

Then I went to Aluminium Marinoni - which is the same weight as the TVT, 
and this year back to Carbon, which is lighter and stiffer.

One thing about carbon, it's not forgiving if you hit it hard, you can easily break it.
My friend's Kuota is so thin on the top tube you can literally squeeze it and it flexes…scary.

However, I was glad I had a light bike for the Coupe des Ameriques Stage race this past weekend… :)

I'm glad my Marinoni is back from the paint shop, I'll be using that for Crit racing.

Mario

Quote    Reply   

ssltech

Aqua Marine

#100 [url]

Jul 5 11 10:54 AM

i've done a bit of critter racing... in the form of trying to outrun the occasional kamikaze squirrel, -but that's about all.

Had my first 'B' group ride this weekend. Actually it was considerably less 'wearing' than the 'C' group, which required a lot of speed-scrubbing and pedal-pushing to cope with the constant 'accordion' behavior, as riders slacked back and then tightened up again.

I was more relaxed and comfortable at the end of that than I've ever been... it was scarcely a workout... though I'm not going to try and fool myself into thinking that I'm anywhere near an A-group rider right now!

Wondering about doing a 50-mile ride up in Georgia in September, though... I think it's in the Atlanta area, but not certain just yet. -A couple of neighbors are heading up to do it. Going to HAVE to come up with a hill to train on though, and there really aren't many of them around here. -Florida is mostly like a billiard table.

If I can squeeze the bike in the back of the car, (my wife has the only car which supports a bike frack at the moment) I might try heading to 'Sugarloaf Mountain' (the highest point in Florida, at a lung-busting 312 feet above sea level!) out by Ocoee in the next week or two... then I'll see if I feel like doing an out-of-state ride!

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help