kb s1

Aqua Marine

#1841 [url]

Feb 28 16 7:29 AM

I finally got out on the roads for the first time this year.
Combination of awful weather, work and new child commitments conspired against me.
Beautiful sunny (but cold) morning. Gentle group ride in nice surrondings.
What a great feeling again.

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#1842 [url]

Mar 9 16 8:18 AM

I got a wahoo ANT+ key and a 30-pin to lightning adapter to connect the Joule 2 on my trainer to my ipad. Anybody have experience with any particular apps they like or dislike? Keith, I know you were looking at Strava, any conclusions? Sufferfest has a new app that I could connect to but it's $10.00 a month which seems high, but you can stream all their videos. Maybe good for winter and disconnect during the summer?

Last Edited By: seth Mar 9 16 8:37 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

technologyworks

Gold Finger

#1845 [url]

Apr 7 16 2:02 AM

Thanks Terry.
Its full carbon and manages to be both stiffer and yet more comfortable at the same time than my aluminium Bianchi was. Slightly more relaxed geometry, more of a sportive bike than out and out racer with no concession to rider comfort.
It was brand new but a 2014 model so I got a screaming deal on it. Full Ultegra groupset throughout, so I'm retraining my Campagnolo brain!

Peter

Peter Beckmann

Technologyworks Mastering 

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#1846 [url]

Apr 7 16 7:28 AM

Wow! I'm having a little bout of sciatica, so I haven't been riding much. I can't wait to get out and do some miles.

Quote    Reply   

kb s1

Aqua Marine

#1847 [url]

Apr 7 16 10:21 AM

Oh De Rosa!
That looks very lovely.

My carbon Bianchi is now approaching 4 years old.
I still love it dearly but, seem to be spending longer looking at new bike ads.....

Quote    Reply   

technologyworks

Gold Finger

#1848 [url]

Apr 7 16 4:29 PM

Well my Bianchi was eight years old, and I took a nasty tumble on it about 6 weeks back. I lost confidence in the bike as the rear brake broke off the frame, plus it has also reached the point where almost everything needs replacing, and the cost of parts is steep on their own. I will fix it up cheaply as my winter bike and enjoy the new one.

Peter

Peter Beckmann

Technologyworks Mastering 

Quote    Reply   

ssltech

Aqua Marine

#1849 [url]

Apr 10 16 8:32 PM

seth wrote:
I got a wahoo ANT+ key and a 30-pin to lightning adapter to connect the Joule 2 on my trainer to my ipad. Anybody have experience with any particular apps they like or dislike? Keith, I know you were looking at Strava, any conclusions? Sufferfest has a new app that I could connect to but it's $10.00 a month which seems high, but you can stream all their videos. Maybe good for winter and disconnect during the summer?

...A month late and a hundred bucks short, but I have been forced into the Wahoo app, mainly by sensor connectivity.

-That said, my RFLKT+ battery packed up this morning, so I rode without any sort of speedo, and still got handily spanked by my son on the sprint home.

I couldn't get the 30-pin to lightning adaptor to work with Strava or anything else, so I got the RFLKT+ as a Bluetooth bridge and then found that only the Wahoo seemed to work with it, though it will then export to Mapmyfitness and Emondo, Strava etc.

Let me know if you find any other approaches that work.

I've been short on miles and definiately down on fitness...

I am an ape.

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#1850 [url]

Apr 10 16 9:20 PM

I tried the Sufferfest app and it would very cool if it worked with my trainer, but it doesn't. I contacted Sufferfest and they said they had the same trainer in their office and hadn't been able to get it to work either. It's still a pretty cool app even without the hardware hookup just for the videos and the taunting. So I'm not riding much because of this sciatica, and I suspect in general I'm trying a little too hard given the issues I had in the fall. I have to be more patient and give myself time.

Quote    Reply   

kb s1

Aqua Marine

#1851 [url]

Nov 19 16 10:20 AM

Last weekend I was in Blegium cycling some of the classic routes.
Absolutely fantastic trip - part of a group tour organised by Scottish brewer Brewdog; taking in some local beer and many of the famous cobbled climbs and sectors.
Highlights of the cycling were the Koppenberg, Oude de Kwaremont and the Paterberg.
The only hill I didn't manage in one go was the Koppenberg. We were only 6km into the ride and it was very damp. I think I was doing well until I reached the 22% section and a couple of guys in front of me were having big wobbles, I went off line to pass and it was all over....Back wheel spun and at that gradient there is no time to recover.
Paterberg was a real challenge, especially as my cleat unclipped just before the steepest part. Somehow a combination of one footed pedalling and pushing with my heel kept me going enought to re-clip.
Cycling in Belgium is incredible. The road layout is designed brilliantly for cyclists. Proper segregated sections along main roads, well marked lanes and priority at junctions and roundabouts in town and the drivers all give plenty space, even stopping to allow cyclists to cross busy roads.
In addition to the cycling we also visited a couple of breweries: Westvelteren (Trappist abbely brewery, beer only available on site) & Struise (modern brewery doing great interpretations of Belgian classic styles).
Beer was amazing and I brought a lot home....
Some pics HERE & HERE

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#1853 [url]

Nov 19 16 12:47 PM

I mean this seriously: how difficult would it be to organize a PRW group cycling tour to Belgium, or perhaps someplace with slightly tamer grades than 22%? I have a friend who has done a lot of cycling trips I'll probably be seeing tonight. I'll ask him. Would anyone be interested, maybe in the spring? I really haven't travelled a lot outside the U.S., so anyplace interesting would be cool with me.

Quote    Reply   

kb s1

Aqua Marine

#1854 [url]

Nov 19 16 6:34 PM

I'm up for that, both participating and helping the logisitics.
Don't let the gradients put you off. The hills are short so pletnty time for everyone to regroup unlike the Alps where one climb could spilt the group by 30-40 mins.
Scotland also an option of course!

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help