compasspnt

Diamond Forever

Lead

Dec 16 11 9:44 AM

Tags : :

Inspired by a thread in Engineering...

http://prorecordingworkshop.lefora.com/2011/12/16/analog-tape-madness/

Can we compile an up to date listing of everyone who is doing full-on proper analogue mastering from 1/4"-1/2"-1" tape, through excellent analogue outboard and a proper mastering desk, to a great lathe?

Last Edited By: compasspnt May 31 16 5:20 PM. Edited 2 times

Quote    Reply   

mgod

Platinum Blonde

#2 [url]

Dec 16 11 10:14 AM

Bernie G still has a lathe, driven by the same tube amps he used at Contemporary, where he learned. But I don't know if he's still set up to cut directly from a properly put together tape. If no one else knows I'll call him.

Quote    Reply   

mgod

Platinum Blonde

#4 [url]

Dec 16 11 11:05 AM

There was (is?) a place in London called the Exchange that used a remarkable system modded by Tim DeParavacini. The guy there was John Dent. I know Dent has left and taken some of the gear and set up in the west of Bath, and still advertises vinyl mastering but I'm not sure whether the DeParavacini lathe went with him or stayed at the Exchange, which also still does lacquers.

Quote    Reply   

blairl

Gold Finger

#5 [url]

Dec 16 11 11:25 AM

Doug Sax is doing it.  He got out his old setup when the demand started picking up.  Interestingly, at the last AES San Francisco (2010) he was on a panel of engineers talking about vinyl, and he seemed very down on the whole thing.  He remembered all of the negative things about vinyl and said that his reason for doing it is to help pay the bills.  He thinks we are moving backward by going back to vinyl instead of moving forward to a high resolution consumer digital format.

At the meeting, a digitally mastered (for CD) mix (by someone other than Doug Sax) was played in comparison to the same song mastered by Doug to vinyl.  Doug's mastering job sounded much more dynamic with very solid, tight low and an overall more appropriate sound for the genre.  Yet, he insists that vinyl is not the reason and would rather be mastering for high resolution consumer digital.

I like music. Who said anything about genre? If it's good, it's good!

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#6 [url]

Dec 16 11 12:10 PM

I can do it. I've done three projects in the last couple of weeks. I also have the only 1" preview deck in existence (as far as I know).

I've been working for the past six years on what I believe to be the most comprehensive A/B path mastering console ever built . Note I said most comprehensive and not best, best sounding or anything that will spark debate. It's a full modern style mastering setup with no shared facilities between the A and B path.

I came to the realization that it would never get done unless I got some help. Matt Ward, a great tech from London who is in NY now has been here the past couple of weeks working on it and knocking out a bunch of stuff. If this keeps up it will be done soonish.

Paul Gold Salt Mastering

Quote    Reply   

weedywet

Ruby Baby

#7 [url]

Dec 16 11 1:43 PM

Sterling does...

I've done one with George Marino and one with Ryan Smith in George's, room in the past year

George even has a custom modified ATR-102 with a preview head!

Quote    Reply   

sean magee

Silverado

#11 [url]

Dec 17 11 1:05 PM

We do it from both 1/4" and 1/2". The machines are studer A80 advanced head. I try mimick this with digital sources rather than use a delay line - 2 D-A s on feor prog ans one for control..the delay is in the edl.. 

Recent clients for this stuff have been Testament Records, Coup D'Archet, Pure Pleasure Records, Domino Records and EMI, 

I believe Ray Staff does at Air, there's a adv head machine in the picture there

Sean Magee Abbey Road Studios StJohns Wood London NW8 9AY

Quote    Reply   

jgreenslade

Tin Man

#14 [url]

Dec 21 11 2:27 PM

There was (is?) a place in London called the Exchange that used a remarkable system modded by Tim DeParavacini. The guy there was John Dent. I know Dent has left and taken some of the gear and set up in the west of Bath, and still advertises vinyl mastering but I'm not sure whether the DeParavacini lathe went with him or stayed at the Exchange, which also still does lacquers.

-mgod

The Exchange cuts from analogue tape on a regular basis: http://www.exchangemastering.co.uk/services.html I haven't cut there for years, but from what I understand, the owner, Graham, has extended his collection of vintage pieces in recent times and the place is festooned with rare and unusual gear (not that it always gets used - the mainstay is still T de P's EAR from what I understand).

If you want to know how dedicated they are to analogue tape, bear in mind that Kitty, Daisy and Lewis (do yourself a favour and check them out on Youtube - there's hope for the nation's youth) are the kids of Graham (he also plays in the band): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitty_Daisy_%26_Lewis It could be said that analogue is a lifestyle to them.

Taken from link:

Kitty, Daisy and Lewis do not use computers or any digital format during the recording process.

Dent left The Exchange in the '90s and runs 'Loud Mastering' - http://www.loudmastering.com/news_and_clients.htm

Dent's cuts have always struck me as having a distinctive delicacy and detail to them, so I'm not too sure about the branding of 'Loud'... He seems to be going from strength to strength, though.

Justin

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#15 [url]

Dec 21 11 2:42 PM

I just bought something I have been coveting for a long time. A Neumann MT72 preview tape deck. It's an AEG/Telefunken M15 in a Neumann cabinet. I have never seen one before. They are extremely rare. They were twice the price of the Studer A80 preview deck in the US. It popped up in Brooklyn too. I pick it up tomorrow. I'm very excited. Pictures to come. I think a man named Hilpert is coming into my life soon...

Paul Gold Salt Mastering

Quote    Reply   

jgreenslade

Tin Man

#16 [url]

Dec 21 11 2:53 PM

Awesome, Paul. How cool is that?

I wonder how many vinyl cutting studios today, even those with tape machines, actually cut an all-analogue disc? If low budget dance 12"s and dub plates are the mainstay of your business, who's going to complain about a digital delay?  

Ha! Did Oliver turn you onto Mr Hilpert?

Justin

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#17 [url]

Dec 21 11 4:00 PM

Ha! Did Oliver turn you onto Mr Hilpert?

-jgreenslade

I've had my ducks in a row for a while in anticipation of this day.

Paul Gold Salt Mastering

Quote    Reply   

Hermetech Mastering

Gold Finger

#18 [url]

Dec 21 11 4:07 PM

Was also gonna mention Graham @ The Exchange, and Kitty, Daisy & Lewis. There's a great article by Lewis Durham in an old issue of TapeOp, used to be online, but seems to have disappeared now. Anyway, well worth a read, and the gear they use is awesome!

Quote    Reply   

jgreenslade

Tin Man

#20 [url]

Dec 21 11 4:39 PM

Before someone does it for me, I ought to correct my spelling to 'Graeme' - oops. He's cut one or two records I was involved with, I'm too lazy to dig them out and look at the lead-out, but I'm pretty sure it's 'Graeme'.
Justin

-jgreenslade

edit - around 5:50 there's Lewis's studio, complete with Pultec, lathe et al:

Not that you'd want to skip - I'd recommend watching the doc.

When I heard 'Up the country' I thought it pre-dated Canned Heat :-)

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help