gr

Gold Finger

#22 [url]

Dec 21 11 10:33 PM

Was also gonna mention Graham @ The Exchange, and Kitty, Daisy & Lewis. There's a great article by Lewis Durham in an old issue of TapeOp, used to be online, but seems to have disappeared now. Anyway, well worth a read, and the gear they use is awesome!

-babaluma

Ha! Lewis is a friend of mine. This kid is seriously smart and has an encyclopedic knowledge of cutting in specific and pre 1970 analog recording in general. Super guy and only, what, 22? Total throw-back to the good ol' analog days.

__________________ Greg Reierson www.RareFormMastering.com Vinyl : Digital Distribution : CD

Quote    Reply   

sean magee

Silverado

#23 [url]

Dec 22 11 9:20 AM

I just bought something I have been coveting for a long time. A Neumann MT72 preview tape deck. It's an AEG/Telefunken M15 in a Neumann cabinet. I have never seen one before. They are extremely rare. They were twice the price of the Studer A80 preview deck in the US. It popped up in Brooklyn too. I pick it up tomorrow. I'm very excited. Pictures to come. I think a man named Hilpert is coming into my life soon...

-gold

I'd like to see some photo's of that Paul, congratulations on your purchase,
have a great Christmas and New Year

Sean Magee Abbey Road Studios StJohns Wood London NW8 9AY

Quote    Reply   

gr

Gold Finger

#24 [url]

Dec 22 11 9:29 AM

I just bought something I have been coveting for a long time. A Neumann MT72 preview tape deck.

-gold

This is getting out of hand, Paul. Do we need to have an intervention?

I'm glad I got to see the collection before you start charging admission!

__________________ Greg Reierson www.RareFormMastering.com Vinyl : Digital Distribution : CD

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#26 [url]

Dec 22 11 12:04 PM

This is getting out of hand, Paul. Do we need to have an intervention?
I'm glad I got to see the collection before you start charging admission!

-gr

Looking is free. Using them may incur charges. I was half hoping the deal would fall through. I see it playing out in two ways. The first way is to restore it to stock as a 19/38 machine and call it a day. I don't have a 7.5ips (19mm) preview capability.

The other extreme is to send it to Hilpert and have it converted to 15/30ips and enquire as to the feasibility of making a 1/2" preview deck for me. I may need an intervention for that. I just put a lot of money into the three A80 preview decks. The Studers are ripe for audio electronics modification. Lots I love the A80 transport. I'll see what kind of shape the Neumann is in and take it from there.

Paul Gold Salt Mastering

Quote    Reply   

caseyrice

Gold Finger

#27 [url]

Dec 22 11 11:01 PM

As mentioned in the thread which started this:

Roger Seibel at SAE in Phoenix, AZ can cut directly from analog to lathe.  I might add with a great deal of experience, also.  I am always very happy with the results.  Obviously, this is not something that gets done with much regularity these days, but it used to!  He is always great.

Casey Rice Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#28 [url]

Dec 24 11 12:55 PM

I picked up the MT72 on Thursday. The information on where it came from was sketchy. All I got was that it was from a studio near Philadelphia. I haven't turned it on yet. The heads are trashed but the transport looks okay. It's beautifully simple. It's very compact. The transport is only about 9" deep. It's basically portable. There are many things to admire about this transport.

It doesn't seem the Telefunken M15A was ever offered in a 15ips/30ips model. The M20/M21 seems like that was the first model to offer it. It also doesn't look like a preview M20 was ever offered. This is all gleaned from reading the promotional literature. I could be wrong.

Hilpert offers 15ips/30ips conversion for the M15 but it wouldn't work for this preview model as the bar that adjusts the program delay couldn't be made long enough for 30ips operation. Luckily this will avoid an intervention. Acquiring a fleet of them is not an option. For 7.5ips/15ips it's a nice deck.

Paul Gold Salt Mastering

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#30 [url]

Dec 25 11 9:46 AM

Thanks Terry. I feel like I found the white whale. These were made by AEG. Some have a Telefunken badge. These are very elegant and compact. There is no connection to Studer that I'm aware of. These are called Magnetofon like the original tape machines. I believe the original Magnetofon was manufactured by AEG. The Neumann MT66 transfer console I used had an M10 preview deck. The transport is pretty similar but the audio electronics were outboard and made by Neumann not AEG.

Paul Gold Salt Mastering

Quote    Reply   

sean magee

Silverado

#31 [url]

Dec 25 11 1:09 PM

Nice Paul.
Were those made in cooperation with Willi Studer?

-compasspnt

Ditto here,...looks a nice purchase Paul

Quote    Reply   

bob olhsson

Aqua Marine

#32 [url]

Dec 25 11 9:34 PM

The Telefunkens were part of the complete Neumann cutting system. Herr Temmer-O-Gotham was also the U.S. Studer distributor and played down the Telefunken machines until he apparently lost the Studer line and started selling Telefunken 32 track 2" machines and noise reduction systems.

According to Fred Foster, Arthur Haddy of English Decca told him that in his opinion Telefunkens were the best sounding tape machines available however the West German radio stations absorbed their entire yearly production making them unavailable to the rest of the world.

www.audiomastery.com Bob's room 615 562-4346 georgetownmasters.com Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233 www.thewombforums.com

Quote    Reply   

racerx

New Forum Friend

#33 [url]

Jan 5 12 11:19 PM

Yes Masterdisk does, but you left out a "small detail"

We have a Studer A-80 preview into Neumann SP79 Console with a/b paths intact for song switch over. Then into a VMS-80 lacquer lathe.  All working great.  Prisim and Sontec eq's NTP compressors - Going to give the Emt compressors another try..  1" is nice, but don't overlook 1/4" 15ips. Expecially CCIR.  Man that just sounds like a record.  :)
Scott

Scott Hull Mastering Engineer Owner Masterdisk Studios NY www.masterdisk.com

Quote    Reply   

bodyslam

New Forum Friend

#34 [url]

Jan 6 12 2:24 AM

I'm able to cut from analog here in San Francisco-1/4", 1/2" and 1". The 1" preview machine isn't finished yet, but I have actually cut from 1" while faking the preview. But I'd much rather do it with proper preview, that's why I'm building the machine.

Paul Stubblebine
serious student of the audio arts

Quote    Reply   

bodyslam

New Forum Friend

#35 [url]

Jan 6 12 5:39 AM

Also, the cutting room at Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab in Sebastopol, CA gets used for this quite a bit. 1/2" and 1/4". It's not generally available to the public, just used for in-house work. Just thought I'd mention it for completeness.

Good sounding rig, too. Four people share the workload there, of whom I'm one.

Paul Stubblebine
serious student of the audio arts

Quote    Reply   

sean magee

Silverado

#36 [url]

Jan 6 12 6:33 AM

Yes Masterdisk does, but you left out a "small detail"
We have a Studer A-80 preview into Neumann SP79 Console with a/b paths intact for song switch over. Then into a VMS-80 lacquer lathe.  All working great.  Prisim and Sontec eq's NTP compressors - Going to give the Emt compressors another try..  1" is nice, but don't overlook 1/4" 15ips. Expecially CCIR.  Man that just sounds like a record.  :)
Scott

-racerx

I'm with you there with 15ips Scott, 1/4" or 1/2". 

Quote    Reply   

sierrarecords

New Forum Friend

#38 [url]

Feb 20 12 2:31 PM

Nice that a Neumann MT 72 has been resurrected.  Back in the day (1973-75) I was a disc mastering engineer at United Sound in Burbank CA replacing Stan Ricker.   My mentor's were Bruce Leek and Glen Glency.  Bruce moved on to the mastering studio at Fidelatone Pressing in Hawthorne CA were he had installed a Neumann MT 72!  I have a chance to master several albums with that tape transport and indeed it was wonderful.

John Delgatto, Founder/Owner
Sierra Records

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#39 [url]

Feb 20 12 4:00 PM

I just got the flight case for the MT72 on Friday. I'm waiting for a shipping quote and then it's off to Kai Hilpert in Hamburg for a make over.

Paul Gold Salt Mastering

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#40 [url]

Aug 15 12 1:57 PM

A little update. After I had the flight case made I priced out the shipping and it seemed like it was going to be 3k no matter what. That was about double what I was willing to pay.

I put it on the back burner because the documentation seemed unobtainable. Even people with the machines didn't have the M15 docs. I was able to source M15A docs but the machines are not that similar. The M15A docs I have are giant, unwieldy and in German. I had heard that the M15 docs were the same. All things pointed to this not happening anytime soon.

Last week I was poking around the lathe shop and what do I find but an M15 manual. It is in English and it is concise and well written. I am sourcing all the hard to find parts now but it looks feasible to get it going. Yay!

Paul Gold Salt Mastering

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help