waltzingbear

Platinum Blonde

#41 [url]

Aug 15 12 9:12 PM

I was reading this thread and thinking about the realities of preview and machines today. I then had a thought about how to marry digital and analog to give a preview deck for today.

If one had a tape deck with TC it would be a simple thing to drive the DAW with SMPTE and the appropriate offset and you could have preview, speed, who cares, as long or short as you want.

Now, unfortunately, most of our decks don't have a timecode track, so it becomes a little bit trickier. I leave it to you the reader to work out the details.

just a thought

Alan
(who has a Scully lathe coming into his life soon)

Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#42 [url]

Aug 15 12 9:38 PM

I then had a thought about how to marry digital and analog to give a preview deck for today.

(who has a Scully lathe coming into his life soon)

-waltzingbear

That's a good idea for oddball pitch and depth systems. For a VMS70 or 80 there are lots of choices and the decks aren't sought after. There aren't a ton of them but not many want them.

That's three Scullys in Portland coming online if my count is correct. You are in Portland right? I like it!

Paul Gold Salt Mastering

Quote    Reply   

waltzingbear

Platinum Blonde

#43 [url]

Aug 15 12 10:06 PM

Two Scully's, both with Westrex 3D cutters! I am the resident get it done tech for Portland (Keeping Portland Safe For Recording), the one I referred to is Adam's. I let other people own the equipment, they just pay me to get and keep it working!

I was also thinking of 30ips on those that don't have long enough tape loops.

Alan

Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#44 [url]

Aug 16 12 12:14 AM

Neither of them are automated. The only real option is the vinylium system. I'm sure you could make the delay time whatever you want with that since it's supported.

It's nice to see more lathes. I like working on them too.

Paul Gold Salt Mastering

Quote    Reply   

waltzingbear

Platinum Blonde

#45 [url]

Aug 16 12 1:15 AM

I wasn't limiting my thoughts to the system I will be working with.

I was thinking more of the full analog path option. It is my view at this point that converting the "preview" audio to digital would allow for the time machine to operate and have audio for the preview path before the tape head sees it at the playback head. As I understand it currently, preview information is weighted heavily to the bass end, this should not be a problem for a digital dub to preform well.

Alan

Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#46 [url]

Aug 16 12 1:41 AM

It would be great with a machine that can generate TC. The main problem I see is otherwise you would have to stripe client tapes with TC. That's a no go for me. There aren't a shortage of preview A80's though. There are some MCI preview decks around too.

Paul Gold Salt Mastering

Quote    Reply   

waltzingbear

Platinum Blonde

#47 [url]

Aug 16 12 11:40 AM

Striping with SMPTE would certainly be a no go. I was thinking more of something like Tach pulse. Dub tape to digital, rewind, cut. Probably want to resolve speed as well. A little kludgey, but leaves everything intact, including the original tape machine. Some obvious sticky points such as no absolute time indicator. But any deck built to work with an autolocator has a good Tach pulse out.

My original thought was sparked by the usual comment that such and such deck couldn't cut with such and such configuration. This (if it worked well) could cut at all configurations with *any* deck.

Anyway, just a mental exercise at this point, because as you point out, neither machine here in Portland has a computer anyway!

Cheers
Alan

Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#48 [url]

Aug 16 12 1:49 PM

Some obvious sticky points such as no absolute time indicator.

-waltzingbear

That would be a real drag if you are trying to work on a specific troublesome section. Doing test cuts eats up a lot of expensive material. It would be unfeasible to always start from the beginning of each side.

Paul Gold Salt Mastering

Quote    Reply   

waltzingbear

Platinum Blonde

#49 [url]

Aug 16 12 2:13 PM

I'll reiterate my initial statement. " I leave it to you the reader to work out the details."

Lets sit down and have a beer sometime if we ever meet and have fun discussing it.

Cheers

Alan

Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#50 [url]

Aug 16 12 4:06 PM

Lets sit down and have a beer sometime if we ever meet and have fun discussing it.

-waltzingbear

Sounds like fun.

Paul Gold Salt Mastering

Quote    Reply   

plush

Tin Man

#51 [url]

Aug 29 12 7:11 AM

For Paul Gold:

When I need to ship big and heavy items to Europe, I head out to my local Polish package place.
They ship bedding, toilet paper, old clothing, nick nacks, china or whatever you have in your package.
It goes by sea freight.

So I wheel in my shipping case and off it goes. 6 weeks later it is at the destination.
Charge is 249.95. Insurance is an extra $100.

An alternative is Lufthansa freight. Deliver that mutha to the airport directly and ship it out direct with Lufthansa. Total cost around $700. This was what my last shipment cost to Hilpert.

No need to enlist the services of FedEx or DHL or UPS logistics.   

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#52 [url]

Aug 29 12 4:41 PM

Thanks Plush. As it happens I live and work in a Polish neighborhood with a bunch of commercial freight forwarders. I would be happy to drive it to JFK if that's what it takes. But I think I can now avoid that now. I was trying commercial freight forwarders that work in the entertainment world.

Since I was able to locate the documentation I will give it to Dan Zellman/John French to work on. I just got all the hard to find transistors in the mail yesterday. I will also be able to borrow a full set of working cards...

I talked to Dan about the rest of it and I'm confident they can do a good job. The only thing that may be difficult is the capstan motor. I doubt Precision Motor Works would do it because he hasn't wanted to do anything out of the ordinary. He won't even do the ceramic sleeve for the Studer A80 capstan shaft anymore. Since the M15 isn't up I can't listen to the bearing. The roller bearings need to be changed but I think Dan and John have that under control. The capstan motor may have to go to Hilpert or whoever can rebuild it. At the very least the shaft needs to be polished. It looks like smooth chrome. I doubt it should.

If I end up loving the machine I may not be able to control myself. I might have to talk to Hilpert about a custom 1/2" preview deck. Let's hope I hate it.

Paul Gold Salt Mastering

Quote    Reply   

gr

Gold Finger

#53 [url]

Mar 14 13 8:36 PM

I got my A80 preview deck back up and running an cut a lacquer from tape yesterday so I can add my name to the 100% analog list. The analog path includes a custom audio interface for the lathe to control preview lateral / vertical (similar to a Maselec MDC-70) with various metering and monitoring options. Next up is a custom 4 channel EQ and master fader. Then we'll be having real fun.

__________________ Greg Reierson www.RareFormMastering.com Vinyl : Digital Distribution : CD

Quote    Reply   

gengy

New Forum Friend

#54 [url]

Jul 30 13 4:59 AM

Hi all!
I'm able to cut from 1/2" analog tape to lacquer using an MCI preview deck and a awesome VMS 80!
Transfer console is Neumann SP-75 equipped with Sontec MES 430 and Neumann u473 Limiters.

Alessandro " Gengy" Di Guglielmo 

Mastering-Disk Cutting
Elettroformati srl via Ricciarelli,31 20151 Milan IT

Quote    Reply   

bonati

Silverado

#56 [url]

Sep 2 13 9:31 AM

It is my view at this point that converting the "preview" audio to digital would allow for the time machine to operate and have audio for the preview path before the tape head sees it at the playback head.

-waltzingbear

I've been thinking the same thing Alan. I mentioned it to Adam G too, since he has an ATR-102. I have a Studer A820 (1/4" and 1/2") that I'd love to cut from. Paul has 3 wonderful A80s in his collection. I only want the A820. One tape machine and one lathe is enough for me to maintain for the next 20 years. 

Josh Bonati Brooklyn, NY www.bonatimastering.com

Quote    Reply   

waltzingbear

Platinum Blonde

#57 [url]

Sep 2 13 1:52 PM

except that Adam does not have a computer, so a little irrelevant at this time :-).

the limitation would be that you have to keep the tape loaded to have "relative time lock", ie you would lock the digital to tach from the deck and have it roll ahead. ATR's and Studer's should have no problem doing that. But woe be to those who unload the deck!

unwieldy.

Alan

Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio

Quote    Reply   

Tapedog

New Forum Friend

#58 [url]

Feb 4 15 4:40 PM

Hello All!

I am allowed (even encouraged) to use the setup at Masterdisc.
So, if you like my touch on their setup, I'm your guy.

The vinyl I cut for Brian Wilson's "Smile" project was of 15 IPS / CCIR and was the best sounding master, cut pure analog, I've ever done.

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#59 [url]

Jul 25 15 7:15 PM

It's been a while since I last posted about my Neumann MT72 tape deck. I dropped it off at Zellman's either two or three years ago. The year doesn't show up in the display, only the date. Dan has been having a hard time and was unable to work on it. A couple of months ago I picked it up and gave it to Bob Shuster. I had him restore my A80RC and was very happy with the work so I gave this to him. He did an excellent job. It turns out this deck got very little use. All the bearings were good, the original pinch roller was good, the capstan and capstan motor were good and the heads were good. What luck!

I spent a few weeks restoring the Neumann SP66 cutting console you see in the pictures. I'm in the middle of restoring a lathe. It will make things much easier to work on if there is a console attached.

I think I will need to lower the gain of the MT72 playback amplifiers. This is a +9/185 tape and I can't lower the gain enough. The deck is really nice. W+F meets spec and is as good as the Studers. It has HF cal points at 10k and 16k, which is real nice. So far i think the deck sounds great. I'll have to do a lot more listening.

imageimage

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help