d gauss

Platinum Blonde

#701 [url]

Apr 22 17 9:50 PM

compasspnt wrote:

tb av wrote:Hey Terry.. if you sit through that one.... You hear anything interesting right after the 16:35 mark?

A total rip. Someone should sue, but both Mack and Luther have died, so...

i know i wasn't there and all, but as far as i know, the song jah is doing ("the liquidator") came before the staples' version. and there's even a vocal version before "the liquidator"

[url=  " target="_blank" rel="nofollow">

[url=  

Quote    Reply   

weedywet

Ruby Baby

#705 [url]

Apr 24 17 11:05 AM

to me the interesting aspect isn't a desire to "go back to the 1950s" (which I in no way have).

it's that I think it's useful, nd important, to have some historical perspective on the evolution of techniques.

I always tell people asking about drum recording, for example, to think of it in terms of its evolution: from one mic on the other side of the room, to perhaps one mic over the drums, to two, to adding a snare mic or a low side mic, etc

that's a much better way to THINK about what you need, rather than just starting with a 26 mic setup because you saw it on the internets.

Quote    Reply   

tb av

Platinum Blonde

#706 [url]

Apr 29 17 11:15 PM

d gauss wrote:

compasspnt wrote:

tb av wrote:Hey Terry.. if you sit through that one.... You hear anything interesting right after the 16:35 mark?

A total rip. Someone should sue, but both Mack and Luther have died, so...

i know i wasn't there and all, but as far as i know, the song jah is doing ("the liquidator") came before the staples' version. and there's even a vocal version before "the liquidator"

Apparently everyone knew but me. I was just surfing around and found that Jah Wobble vid. When that song came on I thought it sounded familiar but didn't give it much thought. Then someone pointed out it sounds like "I'll take you there".

I just saw this on a wiki.... "The song is "almost completely a call-and-response chorus",[1] with the introduction being lifted from "The Liquidator", a 1969 reggae hit by the Harry J Allstars."

Had no idea this was so well know.

I did hear though if you play some Beatles records backwards.....

Quote    Reply   

owlander

Platinum Blonde

#707 [url]

Apr 30 17 4:42 PM

weedywet wrote:
to me the interesting aspect isn't a desire to "go back to the 1950s" (which I in no way have).

it's that I think it's useful, nd important, to have some historical perspective on the evolution of techniques.

I always tell people asking about drum recording, for example, to think of it in terms of its evolution: from one mic on the other side of the room, to perhaps one mic over the drums, to two, to adding a snare mic or a low side mic, etc

that's a much better way to THINK about what you need, rather than just starting with a 26 mic setup because you saw it on the internets.

Indeed indeed. ...and a lot of times when I have seen noted engineers using large multi-mike setups, I'm assuming that they probably aren't actually using all of the mike's and are already familiar, comfortable and appreciative of minimalist setups. ie: ...resulting in them using complicated setups to their advantage, rather than having it impede them.

Quote    Reply   

arconaut

Platinum Blonde

#711 [url]

May 12 17 9:50 AM

Ok, you're a jazz guitarist spending a day teaching a masterclass/workshop. The class takes a break, so you sit and improv for almost 20 minutes, because that constitutes "taking a break" to you. Kurt makes it look so effortless.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help