compasspnt

Diamond Forever

#642 [url]

Dec 13 16 8:05 PM

Certainly much better, because the song is MUCH better.

But Frank doesn't really seem into it on this whole session to me. For one thing, this was after Bobby Darin's version had been a huge hit, with Bobby declaratively stating that he was "going after Frank" when he recorded it. And it's almost impossible for anyone to beat Darin's version…heresy I know, but "even Frank." And Sinatra seems to intuitively understand that. 

Even the other unused takes from Bobby's session aren't nearly as good as "the one." I remember have a long conversation with Tom Dowd about that Darin session; I had a few thoughts in mind about what was going on, and Tom confirmed my beliefs. (Tom recorded it, of course.)

Anyway, Frank is FRANK for sure, but this session wasn't my favourite of his…things were much better when Nelson was handling the band,and following Frank, rather that QJ trying too hard to lead him on.

IMO.

Last Edited By: compasspnt Dec 13 16 8:07 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#643 [url]

Dec 13 16 8:24 PM

These recordings with Q and Frank seem like they are on different pages for sure. I wish the pairing had worked out better.

Last Edited By: gtoledo3 Dec 13 16 9:24 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

bigbone

Platinum Blonde

#644 [url]

Dec 13 16 10:40 PM

I said that with the most respect to everyone involve, i've been listing to both version of Mack the knife ( Sinatra and Darin )
And for me, personaly, i prefere the Sinatra version , the slower tempo and the phrasing of the brass did it for me.........

JN

Quote    Reply   

bigbone

Platinum Blonde

#645 [url]

Dec 13 16 10:42 PM

gtoledo3 wrote:
These recordings with Q and Frank seem like they are on different pages for sure. I wish the pairing had worked out better.

For what i've listning,the pairing work great.They were reading the same page.

JN

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#646 [url]

Dec 13 16 10:51 PM

I like that Mac The Knife alright. My comment was more about first video, and just poorly worded.

I'll have to watch it again, but it seemed like on After You've Gone, that the energy levels .. or something about the deliveries, between the orchestration and Sinatra, was incongruous.

Quote    Reply   

compasspnt

Diamond Forever

#647 [url]

Dec 13 16 11:17 PM

Yeah, these sessions just didn't work like his earlier Nelson ones, and even Billy May.

BUT, this is relative…compared to anyone else, it is FRANK!

Speaking of my opinion, of course. Others I'm sure see it and hear it differently.

Quote    Reply   

owlander

Platinum Blonde

#648 [url]

Dec 14 16 9:44 AM

Frank seemed like a regular, down to earth kind of guy, which I like. Happy to do his thing...

That jazz guitar player from the first video was excellent!

Quote    Reply   

bigbone

Platinum Blonde

#649 [url]

Dec 14 16 10:22 AM

darrickuwins wrote:
Frank seemed like a regular, down to earth kind of guy, which I like. Happy to do his thing...

That jazz guitar player from the first video was excellent!

Georges Benson.......I guess he can played........:)  :)

JN

Quote    Reply   

burp182

Gold Finger

#651 [url]

Dec 14 16 2:08 PM

To be fair, this is a somewhat diminished Frank (in his later years). If we were to transpose this Frank with the fire-spitting late 50's-mid 60's version, we might feel differently about the collaboration.
But it's still him and worth three lesser imitators any day. And the chart is screaming. Yay Quincy.

Quote    Reply   

chrisj

Gold Finger

#652 [url]

Dec 15 16 8:35 PM

David Elsewhere again, still the glitchy liquid dancer, but now he's getting into video editing. Which is dangerous for a hiphop b-boy street dance guy because you're supposed to be able to do effects like strobing in real life, not as post-production (the suggestion would be a deadly insult).

This guy is so good he can get away with dipping a toe in those waters, to do things that sort of merge with the already trippy nature of his dance to produce a heightened experience. When he goes into an insane glitched-out video-edit it's using dance moves done specifically to glitch out and edit.

"As a video editor I have always wanted to enhance what is physically possible with dance through editing and effects. My moves could be way more trippy if they were not restricted by physics hehe, but more so, in my mind my moves are way weirder than in real life. In the past I've seen and received criticism of using too much editing and effects so that it takes away from the dancing. This has left me a little conflicted to how much post production, if any, I should do. I figure here on my channel would be a good place to experiment. Most of my videos thus far have no effects and very little editing, so you already know what I am capable of. If I do add any effects it should be pretty obvious. If you're at all unsure if a particular move is enhanced, feel free to ask." -David Elsewhere

Very few views on his channel: I feel privileged to be part of the little audience watching him create and grow his craft.

Chris Johnson, airwindows.com

Quote    Reply   

compasspnt

Diamond Forever

#654 [url]

Dec 16 16 1:23 PM

Hooray, thanks! That's Brent Mason playing the massive recurring guitar line, and me on the solos. The best part was hanging with the dancing girl ;~) I'm looking out my back window now at the West Texas skyline! Here's another live Bobby Fuller tribute with TWO dancing girls, and two non-dancing girls…  

(Board mix on the sound.)

Here's the studio version:

Last Edited By: compasspnt Dec 16 16 1:28 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

owlander

Platinum Blonde

#655 [url]

Dec 16 16 9:36 PM

In the live take when you moved off the keys...and the camera veered...you seemed to pick up the guitar rather fast!! :) ......and yes....the video girl has a beautiful figure.

Studio video(fought the law) didn't work? Sometimes one never knows with Youtube.

Quote    Reply   

compasspnt

Diamond Forever

#656 [url]

Dec 16 16 9:53 PM

Yes, in the live version, I leapt from the keyboard to the guitar while the horns and band were playing the intro theme. I had practiced changing quickly several times so I could accomplish that. But they had my guitar too loud in the board mix, and they missed the first half line of the vocal once on guitar. All good though. Here's my friend and mentor Bobby doing it on TV way back when! 

And just in case it works for you now, here's my studio version again.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help