ccash

Platinum Blonde

#21 [url]

Feb 22 12 4:16 PM

Mogami snake cable is rated for 70 degrees Celcius

-dominick

Hmm, I am going to put a thermometer up there.
Dont think it gets that hot, hope not.

Thanks.

Quote    Reply   

ssltech

Aqua Marine

#22 [url]

Feb 22 12 4:36 PM

70 degrees celsius is about 160 Fahrenheit... Shouldn't be a problem, I'd have hoped.

-Keith Andrews -If I can't fix it, I can fix it so [i]NOBODY[/i] can fix it!

Quote    Reply   

ktownson

Aqua Marine

#23 [url]

Feb 22 12 4:43 PM

Cliff:

I rewired a video installation once in a very hot south Louisiana attic space under a metal roof. There was cable damage concentrated in one area where sunlight leaked in around a vent. The rest of the cable was fine, but the places where streaks of sunshine hit destroyed the outer and inner plastic of the Belden cable. It didn't melt it, it dessicated it, and then it cracked.

"Kerry fixed the stereo, and now it doesn't work." (My six-year-old sister)

Quote    Reply   

ssltech

Aqua Marine

#25 [url]

Feb 22 12 5:15 PM

I rewired a video installation once in a very hot south Louisiana attic space under a metal roof....

-ktownson

Paging Tennessee Williams:

CAT-5 on a hot tin roof.

A streetcar named 'Rewire'.

-Keith Andrews -If I can't fix it, I can fix it so [i]NOBODY[/i] can fix it!

Quote    Reply   

johnr

Platinum Blonde

#27 [url]

Feb 23 12 5:13 AM

I rewired a video installation once in a very hot south Louisiana attic space under a metal roof. There was cable damage concentrated in one area where sunlight leaked in around a vent. The rest of the cable was fine, but the places where streaks of sunshine hit destroyed the outer and inner plastic of the Belden cable. It didn't melt it, it dessicated it, and then it cracked.

-ktownson

Ultraviolet.

Quote    Reply   

tom eaton

Platinum Blonde

#28 [url]

Feb 23 12 9:46 AM

My place is wired with Mogami snake, and I love the sound of it...
For mic cables I far prefer 2549 to the quad stuff (2534).

The Mogami install equivalent to 2549 (which is 2806 and has a less flexible grey pvc jacket) is great, too.  And considerably cheaper.

In the past few years I've been listening to a LOT of different stuff... Gepco, Canare, Gotham, Monster, etc... and on a suggestion from the old PSW forum I bought some...

Alpha Wire 1775c

And I've been replacing everything that I can get at with it.  It's solid core copper with braid shield and in every application I've dropped it into I have loved it over my other options.  I've replaced everything around my monitor controller and primary dac (and related runs to amps) and my most used analog outboard with the Alpha.

It's worth getting a sample.  If I were rewiring this place again I would use the Alpha for every fixed point cable run.

Some people are full bore wire-everything-with-AES-cable guys... I think Brad's place is that way?  Belden 1800f is, I think, the default for that approach.  I have a 500 foot spool of Canare 202 (their best AES cable) and I think it sounds terrible for analog.

t

Quote    Reply   

dcollins

Platinum Blonde

#29 [url]

Feb 23 12 4:03 PM

In the past few years I've been listening to a LOT of different stuff... Gepco, Canare, Gotham, Monster, etc... and on a suggestion from the old PSW forum I bought some...Alpha Wire 1775c

-tom_eaton

Prior to switching to 1800F, I used the Alpha 1775C everywhere.  It's kind of annoying to work with but seems to propagate an electric charge.

DC

davecollinsmastering.com

Quote    Reply   

mukul

Silverado

#30 [url]

Feb 24 12 5:32 AM

Cliff:

-ktownson

For higher temperatures, or in areas with extended UV exposure, PTFE insulated cables should be used.

Mukul M. Mittal
www.druflon.com
Custom-designed PTFE (Teflon) cables

Quote    Reply   

dcollins

Platinum Blonde

#31 [url]

Feb 24 12 6:06 PM

For higher temperatures, or in areas with extended UV exposure, PTFE insulated cables should be used.

-mukul

It never stopped the telephone company.

DC

davecollinsmastering.com

Quote    Reply   

neworleanssteve

Tin Man

#32 [url]

Feb 18 14 1:50 AM

cgc wrote:

But then on the other hand I too can point to a famous mastering engineer -published and respected, who also designs and builds some fantastic and complicated equipment and well-known in these parts- who made HIS loudspeaker hookup cables out of many sets of CAT-5 cable in parallel, with all of the conductors paralleled and individuall shielded (presumably to accommodate the 'Litzendraht' property) and he swears that it's the best-sounding way...
-ssltech

I had a friend who did the Cat5 bundle for his speaker cables and it was probably the most obvious case of the cable affecting the sound I've ever heard. And it was not for the good either. It lost a lot of high and low end compared to el cheapo lamp cord.

I have participated in several high end speaker derbies and Zip Cord has never finished LAST. Almost always it is right in the middle of a pack that... well, cost's more. In come cases lots more.

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#34 [url]

Feb 20 14 9:19 AM

I have not performed extensive or controlled tests, but I have yet to personally observe appreciable differences in sound between different makes of speaker cable. I'm not saying that there is no difference, just that I've never personally felt an appreciable difference to the point at which I'd be willing to spend (or recommend) big expenditure on something fancier than lamp cord or 18 ga stranded extension cord (which is what we use, by the way).

It seems fun, and I do love to have the best, so I kind of wish I could be bowled over by fancy speaker wire. Maybe I will at some point in the future. But it's pretty low on the priority list for now.

Other applications is a different story (different makes of instrument cable are in many cases clearly audible, to me).

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

ssltech

Aqua Marine

#35 [url]

Feb 20 14 1:29 PM

If you compare perfectly adequate cable to perfectly adequate cable, you're unlikely to notice a difference.

If you compare perfectly adequate cable to something little better than twisted damp string, then you'll notice a difference, alright.

It's never solely the cable that should be considered. It's always the interface AS A WHOLE.

Even if you were to select and present to me your worst-sounding guitar cable, I could plug it into something where you'd very possibly hear NO difference between it and your best-sounding cable... Source and load must ALWAYS be considered, and identified.

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#37 [url]

Feb 20 14 2:07 PM

ssltech wrote:
 Even if you were to select and present to me your worst-sounding guitar cable, I could plug it into something where you'd very possibly hear NO difference between it and your best-sounding cable... Source and load must ALWAYS be considered, and identified.

Most definitely. The high-Z environment of the guitar-amp interface would be much more revealing of very small differences than, say, a line-level synth direct. Yes?

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

dcollins

Platinum Blonde

#38 [url]

Feb 20 14 4:11 PM

soapfoot wrote:

ssltech wrote: Even if you were to select and present to me your worst-sounding guitar cable, I could plug it into something where you'd very possibly hear NO difference between it and your best-sounding cable... Source and load must ALWAYS be considered, and identified.

Most definitely. The high-Z environment of the guitar-amp interface would be much more revealing of very small differences than, say, a line-level synth direct. Yes?

Oh yes.  The guitar is the wimpiest signal in the studio.  Unbalanced, high-impedance, low level.  In Latin speaking countries they would term it "sans cojones,” so it will always be revealing of poor screening, excessive capacitance or microphonic cables.

I’ve been meaning to try some of the Grimm cable I have as a guitar cord.  Could even be better than the George L?

DC

Quote    Reply   

drknob

Gold Finger

#39 [url]

Feb 21 14 9:00 AM

Way back when magazines were published on paper, I remember an article in R-E-P by someone at Countryman Associates showing the output impedance of a Fender Precision versus frequency. It was not even close to a flat line. So, this is my understanding of why guitar cable mojo is so mysterious. The source impedance is complex.

Harold Kilianski

Music Industry Arts
Fanshawe College

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help