ssltech

Aqua Marine

#21 [url]

Nov 30 12 9:50 AM

...And a pic of the OC 'knock-off' for reference:

-Keith Andrews -If I can't fix it, I can fix it so [i]NOBODY[/i] can fix it!

Quote    Reply   

LeforaGuest

New Forum Friend

#22 [url]

Nov 30 12 10:44 AM

Gwyn, Be aware that the newer 'directors' are the ones like the one shown in Larry's photo. -They are LED-illuminated, have a very slender "stick" pointer and no 'mullion' frame around the glass. The mounting screw holes are "east and west".
The original one has a broader "sharpened-tip" pointer, is unilluminated and has a strong 'frame' around the lens... (though not strong enough to protect against control room chair backs!) and the mounting holes are "Northwest and Southeast" ...if you're picking up what I'm laying down...
They are left-reading, though it may be possible to convert a right-reading meter by rotating the rest position to make it sit to the right, and reversing the terminals to reverse the direction of motion.
There are some out there to be found, but they're not common. The Orange County limiters also used them (I think they were a poor copy of a Compex) and i do have a couple of them myself, but I'm saving them for a Compex replica build ("one day...")
Here's the meter next to an A&D meter (and a 1mA RIGHT-READING Director atop the ADR case for comparison):
[image]
The motor on the back of the original is MUCH larger and better damped than the newer version:
[image]
(Two original meters on the right hand of this 'identity parade', newer Director is second from the left, GE meter on the left).
If I find another one, I'll let you know Gwyn, but from memory, I think they're 1mA, left-reading GR scale Director 14's, which I'm pretty certain which you won't find new any more...

-ssltech

The factory in Torquay is CLOSED. We went through a rather long and drawn out process getting the last set of Clarity meters that they made before closure. All of the spares have been sold as well.  ALL that is left of Sifam meters are being (badly) made in an East India factory, geared towards supplying Chinese home stereo manufacturers. There is ONE guy left behind in the UK for repairs. His name is Ray Stephens and is a GREAT help. He can be reached through the following contact:

Louise Seabrook
Accounts Dept
Tel: 44 (0) 1803 407745
Fax: 44 (0) 1803 612239
Elektron - Digitron – Queensgate

Quote    Reply   

LeforaGuest

New Forum Friend

#24 [url]

Nov 30 12 1:56 PM

Now THAT'S useful info.
Thanks David!

-ssltech

You're welcome and OOPS, I forgot the email addys:

Louise Seabrook <LSeabrook AT digitron.com>
Ray Stephens <RStephens AT elektron-instruments.com>

Those are public with permission. I'm not sure how current they are, I've had no communication w/ either in over a year now. Ray works ONLY on Sifam and ET meters, but is a wizard and has some limited parts left for repairs only. He will not sell parts only.

Quote    Reply   

ssltech

Aqua Marine

#25 [url]

Nov 30 12 5:00 PM

Torquay finally closed...? well it was only a matter of time!

-Keith Andrews -If I can't fix it, I can fix it so [i]NOBODY[/i] can fix it!

Quote    Reply   

dcollins

Platinum Blonde

#28 [url]

Nov 30 12 7:03 PM

There is too much butter on those trays!

-compasspnt

No, no.  Uno, dos, tres!

"He's from Barcelona."

Hope this helps!

DC

davecollinsmastering.com

Quote    Reply   

compasspnt

Diamond Forever

#30 [url]

Nov 30 12 8:30 PM

Let us never forget Mr. Mike Beville, who originated Audio Design (Recording), Ltd. (later under various similar names) more or less in his garage in Berks.

He used to send me test units all the way to Memphis back in mid to late 60's for real world studio beta testing.

The A&DR website of today does not even mention his name.

Quote    Reply   

LeforaGuest

New Forum Friend

#31 [url]

Nov 30 12 8:53 PM

Let us never forget Mr. Mike Beville, who originated Audio Design (Recording), Ltd. (later under various similar names) more or less in his garage in Berks.
He used to send me test units all the way to Memphis back in mid to late 60's for real world studio beta testing.
The A&DR website of today does not even mention his name.

-compasspnt

Great point. He and Swettenham were a great team too. Many of the 700s and 760s were built at the Helios factory. The first 10cc/Strawberry desk was ALL Mike Beville...mic preamps and all.

Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   

LeforaGuest

New Forum Friend

#34 [url]

Nov 30 12 11:01 PM

David, Is this him?
[url]

-youngwhisk

Must be!! Thanks!

You're quite the ferret, Jon. The stuff you found on the Island desks was fantastic.

Quote    Reply   

strangeandbouncy

Platinum Blonde

#37 [url]

Dec 1 12 9:08 AM

Yay!

the sense of achievement is addictive. I just get so much pleasure out of my homemade bits and pieces! I particularly like the things that are utterly unique to me and me alone . . .

Kindest regards,

ANdyP

Ruh Roh . . . . .

Quote    Reply   

kats

Platinum Blonde

#38 [url]

Dec 1 12 11:51 AM

The Orange County limiters also used them (I think they were a poor copy of a Compex) and i do have a couple of them myself, but I'm saving them for a Compex replica build ("one day...")

The story I heard (from the horses mouth) was that ADR could not keep up with orders in America so their distributor began manufacturing OC compex themselves. The compex went through a few revisions to improve the design and I've seen a few ADR units that have incorporated some of the mods themselves

The big deal with the units was with broadcast stations. Incorporating the gates/expanders with th compression gave the illusion of increases loudnes than without the gating. That's what I was told anyhow...

Tony K. [url]empirerecording.ca[/url] Entertainment is a bore, communication is where it's at! - Brian Jones 1967

Quote    Reply   

silvertone

Aqua Marine

#40 [url]

Dec 2 12 4:00 PM

Larry, 
How is Tony's 760 limiter? 
I guess for right now it's just made to fit in the helios rack?
Did he say anything about a single rack space style unit? 

-mattallen

It seems just like the original or an original F700 anyway.  I have it at another engineers studio right now and he is amazed by the results he's getting with it.  I wanted the opinion of someone who had never used an ADR or Helios comressor before.  He just loves it, he wants one.

I've always found the F700 to be very transparent (FET based) for the most part and the remake of the F760 is no exception.  Great on bass, really great on vocals... really just about any source you'd want to use a quality FET based compressor on.  It reminds me more of the Cranesong pulse width modulation FET type sound as opposed to say the 1176 FET sound.

These fit Tonys rack for right now but I know he's working on a 500 series.  I'll have to ask about a single unit. IMHO he should do both a stereo rack and a single rack. Of course it would add to the price because of the power supply...  but then again so does a lunch box.

If I had the work coming in and the dough I would love to have a lunch box with the mic pre, EQ and compressor myself.  At this point it's all in the hands of the NY state lottery.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help