johnr

Platinum Blonde

#41 [url]

Oct 24 13 4:53 AM

hank alrichWhere Flash is involved I do not go.

Same here. It breaks things more often than it doesn't IME.

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#43 [url]

Oct 24 13 12:58 PM

Yeah, they screwed the pooch going from Yousendit to Hightail. I liked almost everything about Yousendit and nothing about Hightail. I find the interface confusing like Dropbox. Too many options.

Quote    Reply   

ruairi

Aqua Marine

#44 [url]

Oct 24 13 4:29 PM

I wrote them a couple of emails about specific issues and didn't even get a response. Ultimately I'd like to create an all in one client interface on a server - they have one place to go to upload their files, download the master, ddp player and any revisions as well as invoices etc.

Quote    Reply   

gr

Gold Finger

#45 [url]

Oct 25 13 2:57 PM

It's entertaining to watch customer support jump through hoops and make promises. In the long run everyone has problems so I'll probably stay put for a while and see if they get it straightened out. Earlier in this thread We Transfer was having its share of issues too.

Quote    Reply   

Hermetech Mastering

Gold Finger

#46 [url]

Oct 25 13 4:08 PM

Still mainly using my own FTP for uploading finished masters, and suggesting WeTransfer to clients for getting their files to me in the first place. Never any problems with either so far.

Quote    Reply   

rat

Silverado

#47 [url]

Oct 27 13 10:08 PM

grIt's entertaining to watch customer support jump through hoops and make promises. In the long run everyone has problems so I'll probably stay put for a while and see if they get it straightened out. Earlier in this thread We Transfer was having its share of issues too.

That is my thinking as well ...

____________ Rat Paul Blakey

Quote    Reply   

viitalahde

Gold Finger

#49 [url]

Oct 28 13 4:31 PM

Wetransfer had its glitches, but has been working solid for a good while now.

Someone recently sent me a file using Hightail. Absolutely horrible. I hated it as much as I hate Dropbox.

Quote    Reply   

jimkissling

Gold Finger

#51 [url]

Oct 28 13 6:57 PM

I've used yousendit/Hightail for a while with almost no issues, however, I tried to send a file to a client today and he kept receiving error messages and wasn't able to download the file. I forwarded the link from the "sent files" page and then it worked for him. The upload time seemed slower than normal too and, of course, this was a file that was needed urgently. I had a second file to send to him and I opted for We Transfer instead. No problems there.

I still like Hightail better than Dropbox. I'll use Dropbox when clients use it, but I have never liked it. I managed to delete a bunch of files from a client's shared folder one time when I was just trying to remove myself from the folder to free up more space, oops.

Quote    Reply   

caseyrice

Gold Finger

#52 [url]

Oct 29 13 2:31 AM

Dreamhost has dumped on me after 6 or so years of them letting me store many files on my web server. They deleted them!

Guess I am looking for options again...will go re-read this thread. Sigh.

Quote    Reply   

aleatoric

Gold Finger

#55 [url]

Nov 6 13 8:04 PM

Still using WeTransfer. Once in a blue moon there is a hiccup (typically download/upload emails are not being sent or delayed). It helps to "like" their Facebook page so when the rare issue does arise you know it's not just you and can act accordingly (i.e. use another file transfer service for that day). Still better than any other file transfer service I have tried, and I have used all of them.

Quote    Reply   

gr

Gold Finger

#56 [url]

Mar 29 17 6:02 PM

Old thread, same old problems. Hightail just changed their formula and now it's not working for me. What are people using in 2017?

Quote    Reply   

Justin P

Silverado

#57 [url]

Mar 29 17 6:49 PM

I like having a WeTransfer channel for incoming files from clients. It's super easy, you can make the page look nice/modern, and the upload/download notifcations are great:
https://mysteryroom.wetransfer.com

Clients get taken to the upload page after filling out a new project form on my website and you can also provide a direct link.

I like using Dropbox for outgoing files because you can just paste the file(s) in your Dropbox sync folder, and files upload in the background. I'm not sure about Windows but on Mac, you can right click on the file while it is uploadin and get the download link right then and there, and then paste it into your outgoing email to your cleint. I even use Mail Butler for Mac to delay when the email sends to so the file(s) is fully uplaoded by then. I very rarely have to go on the Dropbox website and mess with sharing folders etc., I find that method to be more of a hassle. I just share zip files of various things which is more direct IMO.

Dropbox lets you keep files and download links active for a long time for "those" clients that come back to you weeks or months later looking for their files again because they weren't careful. You can just say, it's the same download link(s) as before. Check your email and download again. I even have an add-on service that lets me restore really old deleted files and usually the download links remain the same, or worst case you make new ones. I like the user management tools of Dropbox but it can get messy if you're one of thoes users that sets up folders to share. I just make a folder for each month and then only sync the current and previous months to my computer. The old months get unsynced from the computer to free up local storage space but are still active on the Dropbox website if needed, and clients can still download the files. Right now a 1TB Dropbox account is pretty afffordable. It used to be only 100GB for the same monthly/yearly price.

There is also a new service called Fidbak that does a few things such as let clients upload new files to you (similar to WeTransfer channel), and it also lets you post WAV or mp3 files for clients to approve, as well as host zip files such a DDP image, or just a zipped folder of WAVs. You could also post a PDF or PQ sheet, it doesn't have to be audio files per se.

https://fidbak.audio

I'm testing the waters with it but not ready to use it for everything. It's a nicer option than SoundCloud for those clients that want to be able to listen to something via web browser.

Last Edited By: Justin P Mar 29 17 7:35 PM. Edited 4 times.

Quote    Reply   

david glasser

Tin Man

#58 [url]

Mar 29 17 8:38 PM

We prefer an in-house server for client uplaods & downloads. We use Rumpus running on a Mac mini w/ a raid. Easy to configure and maintain, and very full-featured. Predicated on a fast, robust broadband connection. Clients can also send files via the service of their choice. I prefer WeTransfer for its simplicity, and dislike Dropbox. 

David Glasser Airshow Boulder, CO www.airshowmastering.com

Quote    Reply   

chance

Aqua Marine

#59 [url]

Mar 29 17 8:42 PM

gr wrote:
Old thread, same old problems. Hightail just changed their formula and now it's not working for me. What are people using in 2017?

I think Hightail used to be "Send Big Files" I have a group coming in from San Fransico in June to record some OD's and mix.  They sent me all the tracks using Hightail and I didn't recognize the page from the last time I used it just a few months ago

Chance Pataki The Musicians Workshop www.the-musicians-workshop.com musicians.workshop@gte.net

Quote    Reply   

chance

Aqua Marine

#60 [url]

Mar 29 17 8:57 PM

In the past Hightail was all separate files. This time I got confused and it took me a while to discover all 33 tracks/files were in a zip file/folder

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help