rbreen

Silverado

#122 [url]

Apr 9 17 10:58 AM

maarvold   ... wrote:
the DREAM internet service that I have encountered is, ironically, at The Eastwood Scoring Stage in Burbank: it makes my service seem slow.  Rich: maybe you could covertly tap into that and string a wire (or fiber line) over to your house.  

Ryan might notice.. ;-)

Quote    Reply   

waltzmastering

Platinum Blonde

#123 [url]

Apr 9 17 12:53 PM

Hermetech Mastering wrote:
We're flying very high here in Paris, since we got the fibre line about 18 months ago.

You win ; )    

Just ran a test and average about 65^/65v
Checked and Verizon (my carrier) offers up to 500/500,
but don't see the need for mastering sized transfers.

Getting loads of files for mixing and/or video would be another issue
where maybe you'd want at least 100 and up

Quote    Reply   

Hermetech Mastering

Gold Finger

#124 [url]

Apr 9 17 1:49 PM

Yeah, we absolutely don't need that kind of bandwidth right now, but it's nice to be future proofed. Plus it's only about €30 a month, including all the extras (telephone, internet, hard drive, wifi, TV, all networked etc.) In full disclosure, we are actually a showcase building for FREE, (one of the main internet companies here in France) as our apartment building's owner is an ex satellite installation guy and begged them for it as he's a long term customer who knows what he's talking about. :) Not sure of all the technical details, but each apartment has it's own separate 1GB fibre line, not shared amongst the whole building etc. Do count ourselves lucky, but what to do with all that bandwidth? Like I said earlier, we are waiting for the rest of the internet to catch up and rarely get anything near our max speeds, at least on download.

Having said all this, I have techy friends in Japan with even faster internet. :)

Gregg Janman, Hermetech Mastering

Quote    Reply   

maarvold

Aqua Marine

#125 [url]

Apr 9 17 3:42 PM

rbreen wrote:

maarvold   ... wrote:
the DREAM internet service that I have encountered is, ironically, at The Eastwood Scoring Stage in Burbank: it makes my service seem slow.  Rich: maybe you could covertly tap into that and string a wire (or fiber line) over to your house.  

Ryan might notice.. ;-)

Create a diversion by talking about pie.  Mmm mmm!!  

Quote    Reply   

jerry tubb

Gold Finger

#126 [url]

Apr 11 17 7:02 AM

Unfortunately DropBox just redesigned their user interface (last week) and it's a big unintuitive mess!
Seems the computer science generation can't leave well enough alone, often the enemy of "good" is "better"!
Same happened to Hightail, basically unusable GUI.
And I'm an optimist, always looking on the sunny side :~)>
Best, JT

Quote    Reply   

Justin P

Silverado

#127 [url]

Apr 11 17 12:04 PM

jerry tubb wrote:
Unfortunately DropBox just redesigned their user interface (last week) and it's a big unintuitive mess!

The good news though is you really don't have to use their website for much of anything. The Dropbox sync app works very well, and you can copy download links directly from the Mac Finder by right clicking. I would assume there is a Windows equivalent to this.

I just make a new folder for each month in the Dropbox sync folder, paste files in there as I need to send them, right click to get the download link (even if the upload will take awhile), paste the link into my email to the cleint and forget about it. No web browser needed. When the month is over, I unsync that folder from my local storage and make a new folder.

Occasionally I go on the website to restore a deleted file or do something out of the ordinary but weeks go by without even going on the website though I send many files per day via Dropbox.

Just my two cents.

Quote    Reply   

jimlongo

Gold Finger

#128 [url]

Apr 12 17 8:55 PM

Hermetech Mastering wrote:
We're flying very high here in Paris, since we got the fibre line about 18 months ago. Better than what we were getting in Japan.image

Yikes!!!

And to think I was fairly happy with Rogers Cable 110 down and 12 up!

They have Bell Fibre in my neighbourhood now. Maybe I will take another look, but dynamic IP was a bit of a deal breaker when I spoke with them last.

But your later description makes it sound like your building houses an internet hotel.

Quote    Reply   

Hermetech Mastering

Gold Finger

#129 [url]

Apr 13 17 2:31 AM

jimlongo wrote:

But your later description makes it sound like your building houses an internet hotel.

No, not an internet hotel, what gave you that impression? Just a regular 1886 apartment building, one apartment on each floor, seven floors. As I said, the landlord/owner, who lives in the building, is an ex-satellite man and knows his comms stuff. As a long term and knowledgable customer, he begged FREE to give us the full fibre works, so in January 2016 we finally got it (you can obviously see when in the graph I posted). Each apartment has its own separate 1GB line, nothing is shared. I don't think it's that normal for France/Paris yet, but I'm very happy we have it, and that we are so future proofed, and for just €30 a month (with all the other stuff) I am not complaning. :)

Gregg Janman, Hermetech Mastering

Last Edited By: Hermetech Mastering Apr 13 17 2:34 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

adam

Silverado

#130 [url]

May 5 17 7:26 PM

Another quick vote for WeTransfer Plus. Customizable. Simple user interface. Easy to amend deletion dates for links. That, and I just appreciate the fact that I can see the upload progress from a glance across the room.

Quote    Reply   

Justin P

Silverado

#131 [url]

May 6 17 7:14 PM

Now that Time Warner is Spectrum in my area, I upgraded to the fastest option and I must say it's been pretty nice:Now that Time Warner is Spectrum in my area, I upgraded to the fastest option and I must say it's been pretty nice:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ffpvn0jn9qg5iki/Screen%20Shot%202017-04-26%20at%207.49.10%20PM.jpg?dl=0

Last Edited By: Justin P May 6 17 7:19 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

maarvold

Aqua Marine

#132 [url]

May 7 17 8:45 AM

Justin P wrote:
Now that Time Warner is Spectrum in my area, I upgraded to the fastest option and I must say it's been pretty nice:Now that Time Warner is Spectrum in my area, I upgraded to the fastest option and I must say it's been pretty nice:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ffpvn0jn9qg5iki/Screen%20Shot%202017-04-26%20at%207.49.10%20PM.jpg?dl=0

I'm on Spectrum and have basically the same upload speed (23) and I'm quite happy with my download speed (124), but that is some serious download speed you are getting.  

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#133 [url]

May 9 17 11:06 AM

imageMy speed is about 210 down and 37 up. I remember dial-up, so I'm pleased. I've been happy with Hightail lately. They seem to have gotten a lot quicker, both up and down, and my clients find it easy to use.

Quote    Reply   

Justin P

Silverado

#134 [url]

May 9 17 12:45 PM

Yeah, the added download speed is more than I really need but there are times when it has been nice. In my area I basically get two tier options from Spectrum. I chose the top tier for the uplaod speed increase.

I also found that of the 3 or 4 Spectrum representivies I spoke with, they all had differing info so who knows. I'm just happy to have faster than 5MB upload.

Last Edited By: Justin P May 9 17 1:00 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

Blue Note

Tin Man

#135 [url]

May 9 17 3:57 PM

Not to brag, but I'm getting 1.75 Mbps downloads and a blazing 0,63 Mbps uploads, all day. It's the fastest copper wire service in my incus. Fiber is not available here, but, at these speeds, who cares? 0; Please data compress your .wav files before uploading for mastering, or else I'll be downloading your album of mixes all weekend.

-Bløn Øte

Quote    Reply   

maarvold

Aqua Marine

#136 [url]

May 10 17 10:26 AM

rbreen wrote:

rbreen wrote:

maarvold: wrote:
 Rich--are you talking about from the downloading perspective?  If that's the case, I'd like to know about it ...

Yup - In my own experience, both Dropbox and Hightail suffer from this; clients send large files over those services and sometimes they're fine, but sometimes achingly slow; like I said, Wetransfer seems totally solid, as does AWS.  This is all just my experience, but it seems repeatable enough that I dread getting large deliveries over those services.

...Dropbox takes 15minutes to download 100MB of data...

As those who know me long term may have observed, I may not remember something with 100% accuracy, but I do remember a whole lot of things I encounter.  Rich, I was on 'the receiving end' (I'm usually the uploader, but not so much the downloader) of the slow behavior you described with Dropbox.  I was in Glendale (metropolitan Los Angeles) yesterday and wanted to download a mix to play for an artist who sang on it.  It was in a zip file with several other mixes: around 1 GB; Dropbox took just shy of 20 minutes to download it.  That sucks.  I was going to run an internet speed test when I was done, but they all wanted to go out to dinner (with wine!!!) so I didn't do it.  But it did get me wondering about Dropbox's behavior for others who are on the download side.  I'm pretty sure the place I was working has significantly faster internet than what Dropbox was delivering.  

Quote    Reply   

waltzmastering

Platinum Blonde

#137 [url]

May 11 17 12:22 PM

maarvold wrote:
But it did get me wondering about Dropbox's behavior for others who are on the download side.

Just downloaded about 600 megs via Dropbox and it took under 2 minutes (Near Boston) which is on par with other service's speed,.. maybe a little slower.
A bit surprised that the L.A. area and even up north toward Silicon Valley suffers from slower speeds and higher prices considering the industry that goes on
over there.

Quote    Reply   

jerry tubb

Gold Finger

#138 [url]

May 31 17 6:13 AM

interesting how quickly we've amped into this file exchange scenario, doesn't seem that long ago when clients were bringing their Masterlinks in for sessions, or even tapes of digital,or analog ilk. broadband internet has changed our lifestyle radically, trickled down from the roswell incident i suppose :~)>
best, jt

Quote    Reply   

silvertone

Aqua Marine

#139 [url]

May 31 17 7:51 AM

jerry tubb wrote:
interesting how quickly we've amped into this file exchange scenario, doesn't seem that long ago when clients were bringing their Masterlinks in for sessions, or even tapes of digital,or analog ilk. broadband internet has changed our lifestyle radically, trickled down from the roswell incident i suppose :~)>
best, jt

True, if not for the Internet there is no way I could do all the movie trailer and commercials that I do.

I just started a new game for Activision and am working on 47 pieces of music for them this week.  This would not have happened in the past.

Over half my music clients are from other countries.  All the labels I deal with still are from Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Switzerland and such.  Only label in the US I do work for occasionally is Epitaph/Anti, that's it.

I thank the lord almighty for the Internet, without it I would have little to no work.  The local music scene is dead here.  That said each year gets tougher and tougher... it should be the other way around but mastering is slowly becoming a non needed service (or so it is thought, until I have to knock 47 pieces of music in line with one another)... that said perception being what it is I have to ask... how much longer can it really last?.

For me it really has become the best part time job I've ever had. Trouble is I need a full time job to make ends meet.

Silvertone Mastering, celebrating 28 years in business.

www.silvertonemastering.com

Quote    Reply   

jerry tubb

Gold Finger

#140 [url]

Jun 4 17 8:15 PM

i did visit one of our local vinyl lp stores here yesterday, called "end of an ear"!

neat place with thousands of lps, mostly aimed at the younger generation.

however they did have the new double lp of sgt pepper, i was tempted, but passed for the moment.

they had a nice selection of affordable turntables, discwashers, & various record sleeves & jackets.

funny that most of the lps in my vintage collection are pre-digital & pre-internet.

one notable exception is donald fagen's "nightfly" a really great sounding lp from 1982 recorded by roger with early 3m digital.

best, jt

Last Edited By: jerry tubb Jun 4 17 8:18 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help