arconaut

Platinum Blonde

#24 [url]

Mar 31 12 4:06 PM

I also love it.  I didn't read your comment about Cardinal Points Law until after I listened and noticed it.  I was thinking...."this is panned just like I would have done it!".
I love that vocal "crispness".  Please tell me mic and pre??  That's very close to the sound I hear in my head - and that I love on recordings.

-skullsessions

I didn't track it - a lot of it was recorded by hook or by crook. They have an Mbox and used a bunch of project studios too. I think the LV was a TLM103 into the Mbox. Some of the tracks sounded so wacky, I was doing such radical EQ that a few times I decided I must've lost perspective, better to stop for the night and check in the morning. In the morning, I decided I had been correct, so I just accepted that I had my mixing work cut out for me. The path for the LV in the mix was an API550 for "corrective EQ," an LA2 and a TubeTech EQ for a "sweetening EQ" (if you want to call it that). (This is specifically for the song "Grasshoppers.")

I liked the cardinal points - I'd do it again. They actually asked me, on one song, to pan everything back and forth during the entire song. I kicked against it in my mind but decided I would give it a try before I said no. To my surprise, I really think it worked - song has a bit of a "sea shanty" feel.

It's cool hearing what everyone is up to, this is what it's all about.

-noah

Quote    Reply   

compasspnt

Diamond Forever

#25 [url]

Mar 31 12 4:42 PM

It's cool hearing what everyone is up to, this is what it's all about.

-arconaut

And especially because, these days, you can't hear any of it on the radio.

Quote    Reply   

iris

Gold Finger

#26 [url]

Mar 31 12 5:31 PM

And especially because, these days, you can't hear any of it on the radio.

-compasspnt

What's a radio?

+1

Phoenix Eyeris Nijisan Recording Phase One... in which Doris gets her oats! www.phoenixeyeris.com "Pictcha the finga's going 'chucka chucka'..."

Quote    Reply   

iris

Gold Finger

#27 [url]

Mar 31 12 5:37 PM

Holy smokes William! Paul Rodgers! One of the best rock voices ever.
And a killer song writer.

What a great track! Love the deep tuned 12 string. Love the Beatlesque psychedelic string part before the guitar break at 1:30, and the end. And the cymbal panning. Thanks for that... I have not kept up with Paul Rodgers.

Phoenix Eyeris Nijisan Recording Phase One... in which Doris gets her oats! www.phoenixeyeris.com "Pictcha the finga's going 'chucka chucka'..."

Quote    Reply   

LeforaGuest

New Forum Friend

#29 [url]

Mar 31 12 7:57 PM

This is in production, and currently going through pledgemusic to raise funds to complete.
[url]
14 original songs tracked with vocal, guitar and double bass to lay down the the foundations, and all files sent out to contributors to overdub ideas - then back to me to mix.
barks

-barkleymckay

New trend in funding options. Seen this?   http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/renaissancetouring/new-renaissance-studio-album-grandine-il-vento/backers

Quote    Reply   

rankus

Platinum Blonde

#31 [url]

Mar 31 12 9:54 PM

Some nice stuff above! I'm currently in production/tracking on 5!! Projects but nothing mixed or released in the last few months. Most of the stuff on the calendar are "pay as you go" projects so they're spread out. (hence several running concurrent). BUT they are all pretty darned tasty. Hopefully I'll remember this thread when we wrap some of them.

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios Vancouver 

Quote    Reply   

dr funk

Platinum Blonde

#32 [url]

Mar 31 12 10:27 PM

Great stuff folks!  My humble contributions from a couple of Irish bands:

I tracked basics and did the final mix on this:

Did a quickie mix on this one for the video, now it looks like I'll be mixing an album for them shortly (viewer discretion advised??):

Quote    Reply   

barkleymckay

Platinum Blonde

#33 [url]

Apr 1 12 3:38 AM

New trend in funding options. Seen this?   [url]

-phantom309

Yes there are exciting new initiatives emerging.
I did a recent session (playing all guitars and Hammond and keys) for a Belgian artist called Matt Bioul.

http://old.thesixtyone.com/s/UHPgRjOdHHW/

He went through AKA music and got donations via the "producers" who would vote for his project going ahead by paying 5 euros a vote. It did not take long to amass 50K.
These producers get special edition CD's of the product as well as a share of 40% of the download royalties. The Artist retains 40% and the "label" gets 20%

https://www.akamusic.com/en

Quote    Reply   

hallams

Platinum Blonde

#34 [url]

Apr 1 12 7:25 AM

Here is a song from a project I have just finished.This was a pro bono job as Lucas has been a great mentor in the surfing scene to my older boys and when he approached me about recording his first solo CD i jumped at the chance to return the favor.  I recorded and mixed all songs and played the slide on this one. All in all we recorded 9 songs in two days at the studio using my vintage Australian gear and I mixed "at my leisure" over a few weeks with a day of focused touch up mixing to finish off. The vocals for the project where recorded at another studio.

Quote    Reply   

christopher wilson

Silverado

#36 [url]

Apr 1 12 12:30 PM

Two of my recent works. Just out. 
-mahcem

This song is awesome!  Listened to it twice and now that chorus is stuck in my head.  No idea what the words are, so I've been making up my own.  Guessing it's in Turkish.  Two years ago I spent some time Istanbul and loved it!  Must go there again soon.

Quote    Reply   

mahcem

Gold Finger

#37 [url]

Apr 1 12 2:52 PM

This song is awesome!  Listened to it twice and now that chorus is stuck in my head.  No idea what the words are, so I've been making up my own.  Guessing it's in Turkish.  Two years ago I spent some time Istanbul and loved it!  Must go there again soon.

-christopher_wilson

Oh thanks, glad that you like it. Yes they both are in Turkish. I don't want to clog up the thread and it wouldn't be appropriate to publicly use their lyrics to do so without asking the artists' permission anyway but I can write down the lyrics to you in a PM if you like.

Drop me a line next time you come over to Istanbul and we'll have a coffee.

Cheers.

Quote    Reply   

mahcem

Gold Finger

#38 [url]

Apr 1 12 4:07 PM

I recorded, mixed & co-produced the final album/CD by my old friend Rhino Reinhardt - backed by 3 members of Great Southern plus myself(uncredited) and Don Bonzi. We signed a distribution deal in October, but sadly, Rhino passed away January 2nd.  It's on iTunes, Amazon, Rhapsody, etc.Some excerpts here:[url]

-digitmus

That's very unfortunate. Very sorry about your loss.

Quote    Reply   

faganking

Platinum Blonde

#40 [url]

Apr 1 12 6:02 PM

[media]

-weedywet

Paul Rodgers

What's the skinny on this, William...besides "performed by Perry...".

It's, of course, great because Paul Rodgers can do no wrong. Drummer sounds familiar to me. Can't explain why. Love the bars of '5' in the outro. Did you record and mix this? C'mon...give it up since it's impossible to find any info/credits online.

Benjy King www.benjyking.com

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help