LeforaGuest

New Forum Friend

#21 [url]

Apr 3 12 4:04 PM

Are there bootleg sources of leaded solder? NOS?

-johnwhynot

... and they're OFF!! 

I half joke. I bought a few spools at Apex in LA, last trip. Never know.

Quote    Reply   

iris

Gold Finger

#23 [url]

Apr 3 12 6:39 PM

I was around for the design and building of a pro video/audio suite of rooms...
and had done a ton of soldering over the years...

... and made the mistake of joking with the designer (who was just beginning the soldering process) about... "don't you hate it when you get solder smoke in your eye?"

and he looks up and goes... "you solder?" and I'm like... yup.

He passed it on to me... and I got stuck soldering over a thousand connections between 3 rooms. My only advice would be... don't EVER get stuck doing this.

I also got to double check every connection with a live mic. Great fun.

Phoenix Eyeris Nijisan Recording Phase One... in which Doris gets her oats! www.phoenixeyeris.com "Pictcha the finga's going 'chucka chucka'..."

Quote    Reply   

LeforaGuest

New Forum Friend

#24 [url]

Apr 3 12 6:55 PM

I was around for the design and building of a pro video/audio suite of rooms...
and had done a ton of soldering over the years...
... and made the mistake of joking with the designer (who was just beginning the soldering process) about... "don't you hate it when you get solder smoke in your eye?"
and he looks up and goes... "you solder?" and I'm like... yup.
He passed it on to me... and I got stuck soldering over a thousand connections between 3 rooms. My only advice would be... don't EVER get stuck doing this.
I also got to double check every connection with a live mic. Great fun.

-iris

Yeah, that's right up there with: never tell people you have a van and never tell them you know how to lay wall to wall carpeting. I would LOVE to know how many solder points went into our build in the last 4 years. 3780 just in patchbays.

Quote    Reply   

compasspnt

Diamond Forever

#25 [url]

Apr 3 12 7:29 PM

1000 is absolutely nothing.

Complete child's play.

The forced recapping of our (hideous) Neve V3 (TWICE) was 96,000 soldering operations.

TWICE.

Let's see, from moderndigimath, as I recall, 96k doubled is 192k.

Thanks again, Neve.

Quote    Reply   

LeforaGuest

New Forum Friend

#26 [url]

Apr 3 12 8:04 PM

1000 is absolutely nothing.
Complete child's play.
The forced recapping of our (hideous) Neve V3 (TWICE) was 96,000 soldering operations.
TWICE.
Let's see, from moderndigimath, as I recall, 96k doubled is 192k.
Thanks again, Neve.

-compasspnt

And how many people lost large chunks of their lives to resurrect said Neve V3?

Quote    Reply   

cwhumphrey

Gold Finger

#27 [url]

Apr 3 12 9:06 PM

I half joke. I bought a few spools at Apex in LA, last trip. Never know.

-phantom309

Did you buy a torpedo with that?

Cheers,

Carter William Humphrey The WHITEST name in show business!™

Quote    Reply   

studiochap

Gold Finger

#28 [url]

Apr 3 12 9:19 PM

Chiming in a bit late on this one....but.

Always keep the iron  tip smoking...if the tip is smoking, there is flux around.

Never, ever blow on a joint to cool it.

+1 on the leaded solder.

Tip tinner/cleaners are very useful soldering aids. In the USA there is http://www.newark.com/plato/tt-95/lead-free-tip-tinner-cleaner/dp/98H3029?Ntt=TINNER/Cleaner. That appears to be a "leadfree version" but I wonder if (as it's merely a cleaner...) there will be an actual difference? Should be easy to find a "normal" type.

In the UK or Europe you can find http://uk.farnell.com/stannol/ttc1/tip-tinner-cleaner/dp/817624  which used to be the Multicore TTC-1  ("leadfree" TTC-LF version of which is at  http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Equipment/Lead-free-soldering-iron-bit-cleaner-74867   )

Re shiny joints, in the UK a leaded solder appeared in the 70's called " Savbit", which was supposed to extend bit life. I could never ever make a shiny joint with it. I worked for a sub-contractor for a year or so way back when, wiring defence electronics, before I got into mixer madness. The Government Inspector would check every damn solder joint, and paint it with inspection paint. One failed joint, and the whole unit would have to be stripped and started from scratch! I was on strict piecework, paid purely by the unit. Somehow I managed not to have a reject. Wish I could solder that well nowadays..:-)

I'm with Keith 100% about Weller - I'd had enough too, and have gone over to OKI-Metcal. Just to put the boot in, my Weller desoldering station handpiece literally went up in smoke on me at precisely the time I didn't need it to  ( Neve VR....) . Ebaying the base station part paid for the Chinese desoldering station I'm using now.

With the MCI thing, I found both with the tape machines and the 500 board, that you needed to take off all the old solder before remaking the joints on the Molex pins, rather than just touching them up.

Gwyn Mathias Mixer Madness in one form or another since 1972... Happy Sequoia user!

Quote    Reply   

LeforaGuest

New Forum Friend

#29 [url]

Apr 3 12 9:22 PM

Did you buy a torpedo with that?
Cheers,

-cwhumphrey

Ha! No, but I've bought some pretty weird stuff in that place...not to mention about 300 lbs of PTFE wire. The LAST place I would want to be during an LA quake.

Quote    Reply   

ruairi

Aqua Marine

#30 [url]

Apr 3 12 9:47 PM

Ha! No, but I've bought some pretty weird stuff in that place...not to mention about 300 lbs of PTFE wire. The LAST place I would want to be during an LA quake.

-phantom309

I love Apex but that's all I think about when I'm there.  Like every second.  It may have become an minor issue for me.

I'm there every few months so if you have any requests let me know.

Quote    Reply   

andy peters

Silverado

#31 [url]

Apr 3 12 10:10 PM

The avionics guys use a copper brillo pad to wipe their tip in, not sure why but they do grand work.

-fbw70

That will destroy Metcal tips.

-a

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Quote    Reply   

andy peters

Silverado

#32 [url]

Apr 3 12 11:05 PM

And I had also noticed that the 20W setting on my little Hakko was not sufficient to get the solder to flow on the PCB.  It will work on jack and pot lugs.  I have to button in the 135W setting, which raises the stakes considerably vis-a-vis time spent with heat applied to a component.

-johnwhynot

This is exactly why I recommend that anyone doing serious solder work/rework invest in a Metcal. Because it's NOT the power you dissipate in the tip. It's all about the temperature of the tip, and the ability of the tool to maintain that temperature under load.

If the tip gets cold once you touch it to the work, the game is over. You'll just bake the work like it's a rack of ribs in the oven. You'll delaminate the board, the tracks and pads will lift up, and the plastic parts of jacks and such will melt (leading to misalignment of pins), but you won't get a good solder joint.

A Metcal with a 600-degree tip of proper size will out-perform a Hakko or whatever that ostensibly has a higher power output, simply because that tip doesn't get cold.

Not boootleg. Wassco and others still sell Kester (and other brands) leaded eutectic solder.

-a

Quote    Reply   

andy peters

Silverado

#33 [url]

Apr 3 12 11:09 PM

So what (if any) are the tricks to making non-lead solder work? It's a disaster for me.

-phantom309

Be generous with flux, make sure the tip is the correct size and temperature, and make sure the tip is clean and tinned. You want to heat the work, feed in the solder, and get out. 

At the day job, the assembly people do literally a thousand solder connections a day, building up PCBs with SMT parts using lead-free solder. (All of our lead-based solder was removed a few years ago.) The success rate is pretty much 100%. But it does require an investment in the proper tools.

-a

Quote    Reply   

johnr

Platinum Blonde

#34 [url]

Apr 4 12 5:31 AM

-johnwhynot

I get mine from Farnell. A quick search for "60/40 solder" on the farnell.co.uk web site shows over 70 products. Stock levels look lower than they did a couple of years ago though, so it might be time for a bulk buy.

Quote    Reply   

johnr

Platinum Blonde

#35 [url]

Apr 4 12 5:50 AM

...it's NOT the power you dissipate in the tip. It's all about the temperature of the tip, and the ability of the tool to maintain that temperature under load.

-andy_peters

Good point.

For lead-free I currently use an Ersa soldering station which has an 80W nominal rating, but has an automatic 290W boost mode to maintain temperature. I always got by without this kind of thing with tin/lead solder, but for lead-free it has proven to be necessary.

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#36 [url]

Apr 4 12 9:36 PM

The Weller WD1002 is a fine iron. It uses the high frequency signal regulation method like the modern fancy ones. I just saw a new model WX1010 which looks really nice. I think a WCTP is a waste of money. I find a plain old plug in the wall 65W iron works just as well. Go cheap or go expensive with Weller. The middle kinda looks better than a cheap one but performs no better.

Paul Gold Salt Mastering

Quote    Reply   

LeforaGuest

New Forum Friend

#37 [url]

Apr 4 12 9:41 PM

I love Apex but that's all I think about when I'm there.  Like every second.  It may have become an minor issue for me.
I'm there every few months so if you have any requests let me know.

-ruairi

Just in case anyone thinks we're over-stating the Apex danger zone-

Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   

cwhumphrey

Gold Finger

#38 [url]

Apr 4 12 10:13 PM

-phantom309

I was in there right after the Northridge 94' quake and 1 or 2  of isles had fallen over!

The wackiest stuff is always outside. I once saw what looked like a power supply for an electric chair! It was large, and had 2 amp meters marked "Head" and "Feet".

Last time I was there, I saw a "Streetfighter 4" arcade machine that looked to be in good shape, parked in the yard.

BTW, I've owned my Weller iron for about 17 years, no problem.

Cheers,

Carter William Humphrey The WHITEST name in show business!™

Quote    Reply   

ssltech

Aqua Marine

#39 [url]

Apr 5 12 7:21 AM

The Weller WD1002 is a fine iron. It uses the high frequency signal regulation method like the modern fancy ones. I just saw a new model WX1010 which looks really nice. I think a WCTP is a waste of money. I find a plain old plug in the wall 65W iron works just as well. Go cheap or go expensive with Weller. The middle kinda looks better than a cheap one but performs no better.

-gold

I have one of the previous versions of the WD1002... forget the number, but it's at home.

It too is dead.

When your tools let you down it's infuriating. I went from being ALL Weller to being Weller-free. I'll be buying another Metcal soon; they're light years better than Hakko and Weller, but they're inexpensive, they're easy to toss into a case, bits are available... everywhere... and they're just drama-free.

I have sworn off Weller, and unless they address their reliability issues, it's forever.

WTCP is a joke. The 'glowing-poker' trick that they occasionally play was NEVER funny.

-Keith Andrews -If I can't fix it, I can fix it so [i]NOBODY[/i] can fix it!

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#40 [url]

Apr 5 12 12:40 PM

I have one of the previous versions of the WD1002... forget the number, but it's at home.It too is dead.

-ssltech

I've had mine for 3-4 years. No hiccups. I also have the WRS1002 desoldering station. I've only had it for about a year so I can't defend it as well but it has worked well since I've had it. It blows the Haako 808 away.

I once ordered the OKI/Metcal at the same price point as the WD1002 and it was a toy in comparison. I haven't used the Metcal 500 which everyone raves about but I'd stay away from the less expensive OKI's. Really poor construction.

Paul Gold Salt Mastering

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help