seth

Ruby Baby

#81 [url]

Oct 11 16 10:09 AM

drknob wrote:

dcollins wrote:
He is a foreigner.

Yes, he speaks English. [-;

As Shaw said, "The English and the Americans, two people separated by a common language."

Quote    Reply   

dcollins

Platinum Blonde

#82 [url]

Oct 12 16 7:13 PM

drknob wrote:
I'm trying to transition to lead-free solder, mostly due to safety concerns in my work environment. Although, at this point in my life, I'm not sure I can do much more damage to my brain with lead ingestion.
It's a bit of a learning curve, but with some practice, seems ok. But the joints never look as shiny. And rework can be a bit tricky.
If you keep the solder out of your mouth (wash your hands after working with it, etc.) there is no danger of lead poisoning.  It's a popular misconception that the smoke from soldering contains lead, but it doesn't.  A little fan or other ventilation isn't a bad idea, though.

Quote    Reply   

drknob

Gold Finger

#84 [url]

Oct 13 16 7:48 AM

dcollins wrote:
If you keep the solder out of your mouth (wash your hands after working with it, etc.) there is no danger of lead poisoning.  It's a popular misconception that the smoke from soldering contains lead, but it doesn't.  A little fan or other ventilation isn't a bad idea, though.

Fair enough, but any new gear I work on is lead free. And around here, arguing with Health & Safety is a losing bet. Of course, I'm lucky enough to have an employer who's willing to pony up $2500 for a lead free rework station and a fan with a charcoal filter. So there's no lack of tools.....
Is it worth the hassle to keep some lead out of the environment? Debateable for sure.....

Harold Kilianski

Music Industry Arts
Fanshawe College

Last Edited By: drknob Oct 13 16 7:56 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

jaykadis

Platinum Blonde

#85 [url]

Oct 13 16 9:33 AM

What we should remember is that all the lead used in solder originated in the environment in the first place. The problem is that it now accumulates in unwanted places like old battery factories and landfills. Even eliminating lead from solder now won't have much effect for decades. I do wonder if it's really warranted, but then I did play with mercury as a kid...

Quote    Reply   

chance

Aqua Marine

#86 [url]

Oct 13 16 10:47 AM

dcollins wrote:

drknob wrote:I'm trying to transition to lead-free solder, mostly due to safety concerns in my work environment. Although, at this point in my life, I'm not sure I can do much more damage to my brain with lead ingestion.

It's a bit of a learning curve, but with some practice, seems ok. But the joints never look as shiny. And rework can be a bit tricky.

I can remember when I didn't have clamps or enough hands, I would hold a wire to be soldered with one hand, the soldering iron in the other hand and the solder in my mouth

Quote    Reply   

jaykadis

Platinum Blonde

#87 [url]

Oct 17 16 12:11 PM

Mercury is more bio-active than lead in the form of methyl mercury, which accumulates in the food chain rendering predatory fish inedible and ruining sushi among other things. Mercury used in early California gold mining still pollutes the SF bay through runoff from old mines. But it's solder that gets the attention.

Quote    Reply   

rodaffleck

Silverado

#88 [url]

Oct 25 16 8:52 AM

chance wrote:

Safety first, Chance! Next time hold the solder in your hand and the iron in your mouth.

On my last project I used some PbSnAg solder, can't remember if it was 2% or 2.5% silver. Either way, just as easy to work with as regular old 63/37. But does anyone know if it actually provides any benefit over non-silver? Is it actually stronger/better bonding/longer lasting, or is that something of a myth? 

Quote    Reply   

mikerivers

Platinum Blonde

#89 [url]

Oct 26 16 6:44 AM

rodaffleck wrote:

On my last project I used some PbSnAg solder, can't remember if it was 2% or 2.5% silver. Either way, just as easy to work with as regular old 63/37. But does anyone know if it actually provides any benefit over non-silver? Is it actually stronger/better bonding/longer lasting, or is that something of a myth? 

In theory, it's a little stronger, but the real advantage is when you're soldering to something that contains silver. Back in the stone age, Tektronix used tie points for high impedance point-to-point wiring that were made of ceramic with the notches for the wires being plated on the ceramic substrate with a silver-based material. Every scope came with a little spool of silver-bearing solder that you were to use when soldering to those ceramic tie points. Using non-silver-bearing solder tended to dissolve the silver on the ceramic.

I wouldn't be surprised if these aren't turning up in the high end audio silver plated tube amplifiers or phono preamps because they help drive up the price, but I don't think I'd use them in a guitar amplifier that goes on the road.

For a good time, call mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

Last Edited By: mikerivers Oct 26 16 6:46 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#90 [url]

Oct 26 16 7:04 AM

I've been using this stuff for a while, mostly because it's very easy and pleasant to work with. It's expensive, but a small roll will last me a long time. I also have some no-clean Kester for PCBs, which still needs to be cleaned.

Quote    Reply   

dcollins

Platinum Blonde

#91 [url]

Nov 25 16 8:27 PM

mikerivers wrote:
In theory, it's a little stronger, but the real advantage is when you're soldering to something that contains silver. Back in the stone age, Tektronix used tie points for high impedance point-to-point wiring that were made of ceramic with the notches for the wires being plated on the ceramic substrate with a silver-based material. Every scope came with a little spool of silver-bearing solder that you were to use when soldering to those ceramic tie points. Using non-silver-bearing solder tended to dissolve the silver on the ceramic.

I wouldn't be surprised if these aren't turning up in the high end audio silver plated tube amplifiers or phono preamps because they help drive up the price, but I don't think I'd use them in a guitar amplifier that goes on the road.

Considering what Tektronix test equipment went through (and they still work today) I think it’s a fine terminal strip.  When I built my analog(ue) tape repro electronics I used them and I think it’s skookum as frig.

370d2023bb90420983d7e8d26789092e_r.jpg

Quote    Reply   

dcollins

Platinum Blonde

#95 [url]

Nov 26 16 12:45 PM

seth wrote:
Dave, are those Multi-Caps?
Yes they are.  And even though they are “Audiophile Approved” they seem to work fine.

Quote    Reply   

drknob

Gold Finger

#96 [url]

Nov 29 16 2:17 PM

dcollins wrote:

seth wrote:Dave, are those Multi-Caps?

Yes they are.  And even though they are “Audiophile Approved” they seem to work fine.

Chuckle of the day, Mr. Collins.

Harold Kilianski

Music Industry Arts
Fanshawe College

Quote    Reply   

rbreen

Silverado

#97 [url]

Dec 3 16 12:28 PM

dcollins wrote:
Considering what Tektronix test equipment went through (and they still work today) I think it’s a fine terminal strip.  When I built my analog(ue) tape repro electronics I used them and I think it’s skookum as frig.

gawd dang that's pretty!!  would you come over and install my new doorbell Dave?

Quote    Reply   

barkleymckay

Platinum Blonde

#99 [url]

Dec 5 16 7:36 PM

dcollins wrote:

podgorny wrote:It's a skookum choocher. 

I’m not addicted to the AvE/BOLTR videos, I can stop anytime.  Really.

Ooh, the recent teardown of the Dyson hairdryer had me in stitches - and I learned something at the same time!

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#100 [url]

Dec 5 16 8:37 PM

barkleymckay wrote:

dcollins wrote:

podgorny wrote:It's a skookum choocher. 

I’m not addicted to the AvE/BOLTR videos, I can stop anytime.  Really.

Ooh, the recent teardown of the Dyson hairdryer had me in stitches - and I learned something at the same time!

I have to check these out - youtube?

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help