rankus

Platinum Blonde

Lead

Jul 28 12 12:09 AM

Tags : :

There are some things in Nuendo that I simply could not leave behind if I was to make a switch.  I'm sure there are others on the forum with similar concerns so hopefully this thread can serve as a spot to ask such questions.

(1) Does Reaper have the ability copy and paste channel strip settings with pluggins etc. intact?  In Nuendo we can simply right click on any strip and "save selected channels" which will save a small file that you can then load into any other strip in that project or any other project. You can also "save all mixer settings" which will save the whole mixer....  When you load this into another strip ALL the pluggins are loaded with the correct settings as well as cahnnel levels / pans etc.  This is indispensable to me as I can take a bass gtr channel, or vocal etc., and import it into another song/project on the album.. HUGE time saver. 

(2)  Similarly with the I/O routing to the sound cards: We can set-up preconfigured (pre-set) routings. I'll create one for tracking and one for external summing, one for external efx etc.   These the appear in a drop-down menu so I can switch with one click.

Quote    Reply   

d gauss

Platinum Blonde

#1 [url]

Jul 28 12 1:57 AM

haven't used  nuendo since i left it for reaper at least 5 years ago... but... a big yes for number 1.  number two?... not sure as i've never had a need to do that in my workflow, so haven't investigated...

Quote    Reply   

jimblair

Gold Finger

#2 [url]

Jul 28 12 2:03 AM

This is a great idea for a permanent thread Rick. Consider it "stickied".

I'll tackle your first inquiry while I'm here. Yes, Reaper will copy and paste channel strip settings with everything intact, including plugins and settings. Right click on the track and select "Duplicate track". You can also save this track as a "track template", which will give you access to this custom track layout for all future projects. Again, this is available in the track's right click menu.

To add a track FROM a template, right click in a blank area of the tcp, or select "Track" from the main menu, and select "Insert track from template" from the sub-menu.

For saving the whole mixer, I save all my settings - tracks, folders, names, routing, fx, volumes, pans, etc as a project template. 

You can also save "fx chains" from one project's track, and import them into a track in another project.

Reaper will also save all my global config settings as a file, which I can then import into Reaper on another computer. Themes, templates, etc are all instantly available on any computer running Reaper. (I haven't tried this "cross platform" yet. I'll try that tomorrow and post my results.)

Nanaimo, BC Canada www.facebook.com/ApeIslandSound

Quote    Reply   

jononiess

Silverado

#3 [url]

Jul 28 12 3:40 PM

Another thing that's useful in this vein - not sure if available in nuendo but I certainly haven't found it in PT - is the ability to open more than one project at a time. I sometimes find that I remember some channel config from another project - go to the open new project tab, open the 'other' project, coPy tracks, tab to the current project, paste the tracks in.

It's also really useful in creating stems, as you can actually RUN both Projects at the same time. If you have a large project with lots of tracks, route them into stems, thru DA outs to the console-outboard gear, back into AD's which are inputs to the 2nd, 'stems' project. Arm the stem project to record, tab to first project and play, tab to stem project and hit play (record). They both play, one project feeds the other.

Quote    Reply   

jimblair

Gold Finger

#4 [url]

Jul 28 12 4:25 PM

Reaper will also save all my global config settings as a file, which I can then import into Reaper on another computer. Themes, templates, etc are all instantly available on any computer running Reaper. (I haven't tried this "cross platform" yet. I'll try that tomorrow and post my results.)

-jimblair

I just tried this, and yes, the configs are cross-platform. I saved the configs from an OSX machine, and imported them into Reaper on a PC. Worked fine.

Quote    Reply   

dave harrison

Gold Finger

#5 [url]

Jul 28 12 5:36 PM

In Cubase and Nuendo you can have more than one project open at a time, but only one can be "active".  You can toggle back and forth between them though which makes copy - paste between projects easier.

Another thing that's useful in this vein - not sure if available in nuendo but I certainly haven't found it in PT - is the ability to open more than one project at a time. I sometimes find that I remember some channel config from another project - go to the open new project tab, open the 'other' project, coPy tracks, tab to the current project, paste the tracks in.

It's also really useful in creating stems, as you can actually RUN both Projects at the same time. If you have a large project with lots of tracks, route them into stems, thru DA outs to the console-outboard gear, back into AD's which are inputs to the 2nd, 'stems' project. Arm the stem project to record, tab to first project and play, tab to stem project and hit play (record). They both play, one project feeds the other.

-jononiess

Quote    Reply   

jimblair

Gold Finger

#7 [url]

Jul 28 12 7:07 PM

Reaper allows you to open multiple tabs, with different projects running in each. 

File/New Project Tab.

You can copy and paste between them. And the multiple tabs will all play simultaneously, if you want. I've never tried recording from one tab to another though.

Quote    Reply   

rankus

Platinum Blonde

#9 [url]

Jul 28 12 9:32 PM

I'll tackle your first inquiry while I'm here. Yes, Reaper will copy and paste channel strip settings with everything intact, including plugins and settings. Right click on the track and select "Duplicate track". You can also save this track as a "track template", which will give you access to this custom track layout for all future projects. Again, this is available in the track's right click menu.To add a track FROM a template, right click in a blank area of the tcp, or select "Track" from the main menu, and select "Insert track from template" from the sub-menu.For saving the whole mixer, I save all my settings - tracks, folders, names, routing, fx, volumes, pans, etc as a project template. You can also save "fx chains" from one project's track, and import them into a track in another project.Reaper will also save all my global config settings as a file, which I can then import into Reaper on another computer. Themes, templates, etc are all instantly available on any computer running Reaper. (I haven't tried this "cross platform" yet. I'll try that tomorrow and post my results.)

-jimblair

Hi Jim,  Thanks so much for sharing your time with us.  Much appreciated.

Yes the "save FX Chain" is close, but is pretty clunky in comparison to Nuendo.  It won't save all the channel info such as fader level, sends, pans. It only saves and loads the inserted fx.  Also if there are already fx on the strip it will merely paste the new fx chain below those, rather than replacing them.  not to mention it takes several more clicks than Nuendo to just save the fx.  

You mention saving the entire project as a template which most DAWS can do. But what I'm talking about is the ability to save just the mixer set-up, or portions there of... I'll explain my workflow to illustrate what I mean and why it's so useful:

When setting up to produce an EP/Album I'll create a template with al the tracks I figure I'll need (Drums - 12 tracks, bass-1 Track, rtm gtrs- 2 tracks yadda) all my efx buses, subgroups etc. ... then I'll save as a template.. I'll then create projects for each song from this template.

Come tracking date I'll generally track at least the rhythm section in the same config for each song... (I'll have the same track layouts in each song on the album.)  (doing mostly low-budget stuff so I need to shave time)

So here is the crux:

Then, come mix time I'll get the drums and bass rocking the way I like on the first song, select all the drum and bass channels, right click and hit "save selected channels".  I can then open the next song, select the drum and bass channels and "load selected channels" and my drum and bass mix from the first song will replace all settings with the new ones,.. with all the pluggins and their settings, sends, pans, faders, etc..  (Before anybody freaks this may just be a starting point or a reference for continuity... each mix may or may not share)

To do this in Reaper I would need to go through each channel and save the fx chain separately,  write down all the faders, sends etc... then import them all one at a time into the next song... Massive time suck in comparison!

Then as mixing progresses I might like a vocal on one song and want to copy that to another song... pc of cake!  

BUT this is not the same as "duplicate track", or "save the project as a template" (which Nuendo does as well)  ... 

I hope this is a little clearer.. It can be tough communicating this stuff.

This feature really needs to implemented.

I suppose I should head over to cockos forum and make a feature request?

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios Vancouver 

Quote    Reply   

rankus

Platinum Blonde

#10 [url]

Jul 29 12 4:31 AM

I think I've found something that will work.  I downloaded the SWS extensions and low and behold: Right Click on the channel  and select SWS Snapshots/ New Snapshot Selected Tracks (or shift-click and select multiple channels)  You can then right click into "Show Snapshots List and settings" and export the snapshot to use in another song.. a bit convoluted but it'll do!

Another one I found for the Cubendo users.. Drag Zoom: 

Extensions / SWS Zoom Preferences / Drag Zoom / Upper Half of Ruler  

Reaper is looking better and better.

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios Vancouver 

Quote    Reply   

jimblair

Gold Finger

#12 [url]

Jul 30 12 12:59 AM

How would you route from one to the other?

-compasspnt

Well, I just tried this for the first time. I just matched up the outputs in the sending tab to the inputs of the receiving tab, hit play in one, and record in the other. It was simply a quick test, but it worked fine.

Quote    Reply   

tb av

Platinum Blonde

#14 [url]

Jul 30 12 8:33 AM

There is also ReaRoute that some might find useful. It didn't use to install by default but may now. If not, just do a re-install and be sure to select it.

It was made, I believe, to port Cakewalk projects into Reaper. I'm pretty sure it works with most anything. It's a virtual ASIO driver.

You set your project up to play in source software. Then create matching tracks in Reaper as the destination. Connect the two via ReaRoute. Set Reaper to record and click start.

Tom B

Quote    Reply   

jononiess

Silverado

#16 [url]

Jul 30 12 11:32 AM

Well, I just tried this for the first time. I just matched up the outputs in the sending tab to the inputs of the receiving tab, hit play in one, and record in the other. It was simply a quick test, but it worked fine.

-jimblair

I love it...been using it for several years.  Great for stems...

Have never tried ReaRoute though - for PT source-into-Reaper for mixing - it sounds fantastic....currently I have to consolidate clips in all the tracks in PT, then drag all the audio files into Reaper.  Not the end of the world, but this sounds pretty slick

Quote    Reply   

henge

Tin Man

#17 [url]

Jul 30 12 3:54 PM

Hi Jim,  Thanks so much for sharing your time with us.  Much appreciated.
Yes the "save FX Chain" is close, but is pretty clunky in comparison to Nuendo.  It won't save all the channel info such as fader level, sends, pans. It only saves and loads the inserted fx.  Also if there are already fx on the strip it will merely paste the new fx chain below those, rather than replacing them.  not to mention it takes several more clicks than Nuendo to just save the fx.  
You mention saving the entire project as a template which most DAWS can do. But what I'm talking about is the ability to save just the mixer set-up, or portions there of... I'll explain my workflow to illustrate what I mean and why it's so useful:
When setting up to produce an EP/Album I'll create a template with al the tracks I figure I'll need (Drums - 12 tracks, bass-1 Track, rtm gtrs- 2 tracks yadda) all my efx buses, subgroups etc. ... then I'll save as a template.. I'll then create projects for each song from this template.
Come tracking date I'll generally track at least the rhythm section in the same config for each song... (I'll have the same track layouts in each song on the album.)  (doing mostly low-budget stuff so I need to shave time)
So here is the crux:
Then, come mix time I'll get the drums and bass rocking the way I like on the first song, select all the drum and bass channels, right click and hit "save selected channels".  I can then open the next song, select the drum and bass channels and "load selected channels" and my drum and bass mix from the first song will replace all settings with the new ones,.. with all the pluggins and their settings, sends, pans, faders, etc..  (Before anybody freaks this may just be a starting point or a reference for continuity... each mix may or may not share)
To do this in Reaper I would need to go through each channel and save the fx chain separately,  write down all the faders, sends etc... then import them all one at a time into the next song... Massive time suck in comparison!
Then as mixing progresses I might like a vocal on one song and want to copy that to another song... pc of cake!  
BUT this is not the same as "duplicate track", or "save the project as a template" (which Nuendo does as well)  ... 
I hope this is a little clearer.. It can be tough communicating this stuff.
This feature really needs to implemented.
I suppose I should head over to cockos forum and make a feature request?

-rankus

What you could try is putting all your drum tracks that you want to use "save selected channels"
with, into a folder and save that folder as a track template.
Then load that folder into your next project.

Quote    Reply   

henge

Tin Man

#19 [url]

Aug 1 12 6:42 AM

Does Reaper have a built-in list of key commands? I can't seem to find it.

And

Does Reaper have any stock toolbar sets under the hood anywhere?  What I'm really needing is a colors toolbar... Select an item/track and hit the color toolbar and yer done :)

-rankus

As far as key commands...go to the Actions menu and then " Show actions list"
All the Actions with their key commands are listed.Be sure to use the filter at the top to find whatever action your looking for.
As for toolbars, you have to make your own. The icons supplied are not assigned any functions so it makes creating toolbars totally open ended.
This actually touches on one of Reaper strengths and weaknesses...customability.It's totally worth spending time customizing Reaper, but then your setup will not match anybody else's. If your working in another Reaper based studio their setup will not match yours.
Luckily you can use your setup in any studio, you just have to load it in. ;-)

Quote    Reply   

tb av

Platinum Blonde

#20 [url]

Aug 1 12 7:04 AM

"Does Reaper have a built-in list of key commands? I can't seem to find it."

From the menu bar click HELP / HTML Lists / Actions

Also click Shift+F1 to see the current assignments ( also available from help menu )

There is also a pdf in the Reaper Stash for the key assignments.

This may do what you want for colors....

Tom B

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help