nizzle

Silverado

#41 [url]

Oct 4 12 4:49 PM

I'm doing some "test mixing" in Reaper in order to learn the software. I'm wondering if there is a more elegant way to handle "stereo" sources? A simple example would be a stereo recording of a piano, to which I would like to process both L and R side identically. I understand I can create a new track and then buss the 2 audio tracks to it OR I can create a folder track(it must be to the left of the first "child" track - That bums me out btw). With these 2 options, I'm now staring at 3 tracks, when I'd really like to be staring at one track. Is there any other way. Does a "stereo" track exist??? Do I have to make those 2 audio tracks 'invisible" - can I even do that? Thoughts would really be appreciated.

best.

-t

Quote    Reply   

compasspnt

Diamond Forever

#42 [url]

Oct 4 12 6:29 PM

If you already have an interleaved stereo track, it will come into RPR as stereo, and can be plug-in-processed as such.

If the tracks are dual mono, they will come in on two separate mono tracks.  In that case, I love the Folder methodology.  You make a Parent Folder, name it Piano, and put stereo plug-ins on that Folder track.  Then you can make the Child tracks (the originals) any size you want, or invisible if you want.  The waveform will show up in the one visible Parent Folder track.

That's how I do it at least.  I like it also because you can still change volumes individually on the children, or process only one in mono, etc., and the results still come to the Parent and can be processed  together there.

Quote    Reply   

nizzle

Silverado

#43 [url]

Oct 4 12 6:55 PM

Thanks Terry- I've decided to simply create a track and route the others to it. The whole "folder" situation gets wonky for me when want to duplicate the folder track for parallel compression and then when I create a folder for the folders - things get really strange. By just using a regular "empty track" I can duplicate for the parallel compression and then create another "Master track" for the summing of the unprocessed and processed track. I can also "hide" the audio tracks that I'm summing and compressing to make my mixer widow more streamlined... 

Quote    Reply   

nizzle

Silverado

#44 [url]

Oct 4 12 6:57 PM

Here's another one: If I'm given a mono source with several microphone audio tracks and I create a blend that I like - what's the quickest way to render that blend into a new, mono, audio file? I can always record the blend onto a new track, but I think there is a quicker solution in Reaper. Can someone give me some tips, please?

-t

Quote    Reply   

compasspnt

Diamond Forever

#46 [url]

Oct 4 12 8:28 PM

Another thing about the Folder track, if you do want to parallel process (eg. compress), ALL plug-ins in REAPER have a "Wet-Dry-Mix" knob (top of UI), so parallel processing doesn't require extra Folders or tracks.

Also, if using more than one plug-in, you can individually vary the amount of parallelality...eg.  two comps, one with more compression, the other with less, etc.

Quote    Reply   

jimblair

Gold Finger

#47 [url]

Oct 5 12 11:11 AM

Another thing about the Folder track, if you do want to parallel process (eg. compress), ALL plug-ins in REAPER have a "Wet-Dry-Mix" knob (top of UI), so parallel processing doesn't require extra Folders or tracks.

-compasspnt

Terry beat me to it.

For parallel, I use the Wet/Dry knob, or, in ReaComp (which I use often) the Wet/Dry faders.

Nanaimo, BC Canada www.facebook.com/ApeIslandSound

Quote    Reply   

2pulse

Silverado

#48 [url]

Oct 5 12 12:37 PM

I'm doing some "test mixing" in Reaper in order to learn the software. I'm wondering if there is a more elegant way to handle "stereo" sources? A simple example would be a stereo recording of a piano, to which I would like to process both L and R side identically. I understand I can create a new track and then buss the 2 audio tracks to it OR I can create a folder track(it must be to the left of the first "child" track - That bums me out btw). With these 2 options, I'm now staring at 3 tracks, when I'd really like to be staring at one track. Is there any other way. Does a "stereo" track exist??? Do I have to make those 2 audio tracks 'invisible" - can I even do that? Thoughts would really be appreciated.
best.
-t

-nizzle

Right click a track and check "Enable Free Item Positioning", which will allow you to re-size and layer audio regions vertically within the track.  Drag and drop the separate left and right mono waves into the track, one positioned above the other, sized so that the regions aren't overlapping at all.  Double-click the top wave, which opens the "Item Properties" window, and pan left.  Double click the bottom wave and pan right.  The end result is one track that treats two mono files like an interleaved stereo file.

Quote    Reply   

mikerivers

Platinum Blonde

#52 [url]

Oct 13 12 4:22 PM

Does Reaper work with TouchDAW? In case you don't know, this is an Android tablet application that emulates Mackie Control Universal to remotely control a DAW.

After considerable fooling around, I got TouchDAW to work with Studio One, but Reaper tells me that it can't open the MIDI Device TouchDAW. I get this message when I start the program. Yes, I have TouchDAW running, along with the rtpMIDI program that makes it talk via WiFi.

There's evidence of communication between the two programs. The Reaper track names show up as channel names in the TouchDAW mixer, the fader and pan controls work. About the only thing that doesn't work is to start playing.

I suppose I should ask on the official Reaper forum, but they just tell me to read the manual.

For a good time, call mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

Quote    Reply   

scooter trash

Silverado

#53 [url]

Oct 15 12 3:27 AM

Reaper doesn't seem to be scanning my VST sub-folders unless I add the path.
I have VST dlls in several different folders (mostly because their installers put them there.)
The Reaper doccumentation says that Reaper should scan the subfolders, but the plugins don't seem to show up unless I manually add the full path and re-scan. Do the plugins need to be in specific parent folders for the subfolders to be scanned?

-=>Danny<=-

Quote    Reply   

LeforaGuest

New Forum Friend

#54 [url]

Dec 17 12 10:07 AM

Starting to seriously explore the R-beast and just read through this
thread. First of many stoopid questions to come:

Is it possible to stream PT7.4 audio into the Reaper mixer (and then to
the interface)?

Has anyone configured the PT key commands so they could just be
imported into Reaper?

(First iPhone post-hope it goes ok!)

Quote    Reply   

compasspnt

Diamond Forever

#55 [url]

Dec 17 12 10:46 AM

2nd question first:

Everyone's initial reaction is, "How can I make REAPER look/work just like Protools?"
Mine was as well.
REAPER allows the most configurability and customisation of any DAW programme I have ever seen, so yes, you can change many (but not all) operations to mimic PT.
I changed a few minor commands, but then, as have most, figured out it worked better to learn a new system than to force one.
There are reasons the commands are what they are in RPR.

1st question last:

Why "stream" anything?
Then you have two programmes open and running at one time, eating up resources.
Why not just import the PR WAV files (need to be consolidated, starting at same point) into RPR as a new singular session?

Alternatively, use AATranslator to import a PT session into RPR.

Quote    Reply   

LeforaGuest

New Forum Friend

#56 [url]

Dec 17 12 5:38 PM

Thanks, Terry!
So, basically, quit whining and learn to use Reaper.
; )

Will do.

I'd still like to know more about this, though:

Well, I just tried this for the first time. I just matched up the outputs in the sending tab to the inputs of the receiving tab, hit play in one, and record in the other. It was simply a quick test, but it worked fine. 

-jimblair

I love it...been using it for several years.  Great for stems...

Have never tried ReaRoute though - for PT source-into-Reaper for mixing - it sounds fantastic....currently I have to consolidate clips in all the tracks in PT, then drag all the audio files into Reaper.  Not the end of the world, but this sounds pretty slick 

Quote    Reply   

bill mueller

Aqua Marine

#57 [url]

May 30 13 1:48 PM

I have a collection of gear that because of various conditions of computer type and interface is screaming Reaper at me.

I have a Ramsa DA7 console (which is a way cool little board) fitted with 3 TDIF cards for 24 I/O tracks, (16 from the console and 8 pres into 17 through 24 on the 2408) a MOTU 424PCI card and 2408 interface with a 2 gig G5 running OS 10.5.8. I will mostly use this for remotes.

My question is how well does Reaper run on an older system like this?

Thanks!

Bill

Quote    Reply   

compasspnt

Diamond Forever

#58 [url]

May 30 13 6:14 PM

Will run super, just be sure you choose the version for your system (they have 32, 64, Mac, PC, etc.

Also you can always go back a version of two or three if you want or need.

Quote    Reply   

johnwhynot

Aqua Marine

#60 [url]

Jan 7 14 5:20 PM

I'd love to be able to set Bar one Beat 1 to a spot on the timeline.

I'd love for there to be independent rulers for Timecode, rather than just one wound out from the Min;Sec ruler.

It's addition. Should be a possibility.

--

John Whynot

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help