nobturner

Gold Finger

Lead

Oct 21 12 6:37 PM

Tags : :

hi. i've got a cable for an EV 666 with the proper UA-3-11 connector on it. however, the cable is funky, and i want to replace it. but i can't disassemble the connector. i've been able to remove the rubber boot, and the U-shaped strain relief; nothing else moves appreciably thereafter. anyone know the procedure?

Quote    Reply   

nobturner

Gold Finger

#2 [url]

Oct 21 12 11:12 PM

thanks jon for the link. while it is helpful to visualize the pieces of the connector, i'm still struggling with separating it.

the cable isn't the issue... it is very light gauge, and appears to have a foil shield, which is part of what made me want to replace it, with something both heavier and more flexible.

the question in my mind is whether the rubber strain relief goes all the way through the connector to insulate the plug end from the body, in which case perhaps the issue is one of melted insulation in there.

and what's especially frustrating is that years ago know i soldered up one of these. it's the details that have been lost in the mists of time.

Quote    Reply   

youngwhisk

Silverado

#6 [url]

Oct 22 12 10:12 PM

Gary,
I want to make sure that we are talking about the same pin (see the arrow above). It appears to me that if you plug the connector into the microphone and do not push the unlocking lever down, but push the arrowed pin down underneath the locking lever with a small screwdriver, you should be able to pull on the back part of the connector leaving the front part of the connector in the microphone until you release it with the unlocking lever. You might have to wiggle the connector, and/or use a little lube such as dishwashing soap that you can wash off after the plug has been unsoldered. If you have already tried this, please ignore. Jon

Jon Moen

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Oct 22 12 10:36 PM

WD-40

-bockaudio

+1.
The elements may have 'stuck' the two together. A shot of this would likely work.

"Real People, Real Performances."

Quote    Reply   

nobturner

Gold Finger

#9 [url]

Oct 23 12 2:03 AM

Thanks all for the advice. Jon (youngwhisk) had it right... the trick was to plug the connector into a mic and then press down on that little disc under the clip with a small screwdriver.

Lubricants wouldn't have helped.

Hope this comes in handy for other folks in the future!

Quote    Reply   

bockaudio

Platinum Blonde

#11 [url]

Sep 25 14 1:23 PM

My advise was based solely on my experience with that connector.
But I'm glad you reported back on this.
It's something I didn't think of, because we do it as a matter of course here, but removing old connectors is often best achieved by inserting it into it's complimentary receptacle.

Quote    Reply   

Mickeyrouse

Silverado

#12 [url]

Nov 9 15 6:00 PM

There's reason those things aren't used anymore.....666's and 655's were good (not great) mics, but those oddball connectors haven't endeared them to posterity

Last Edited By: Mickeyrouse Nov 9 15 6:18 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help